Is it dangerous to use 1-RCR123???

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any danger to using one cell by itself? Any chance of it exploding, etc? In a 1 cell light? In a 2-Cell light with a spacer? From what I understand, using 1 cell by itself iscompletely safe, but I wanted a second opinion from the seasoned battery experts before proceeding.

I plan on using an old KL1 (3-9 Volt) in a 1 cell body with ultralast/ultrafire RCR123's. Thanks for any advice!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only real danger from using a single cell is overdraw (ie pulling too much current) or overdischarge. It's safer that using multiple cells because you don't have to worry about them discharging at different rates, causing :poof:

If you need High current delivery with a single RCR123, you'll need a AW IMR 16340.

How much current will the KL1 draw?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for taking the time to answer mvyrmnd. I don't get on here nearly as often as I used too. Not sure about the current of the KL1. It's the older model that was used on the E1L and the E2L, and is capable of 3-9 volts. What's the danger of over-drawing a single cell, besides damaging the battery??? Can I run a single cell down "too low"? Thanks again!

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you overdraw the cell, and it's not very healthy to begin with, it could vent with flame. The IMR's can not only handle a higher draw, they won't vent if things go bad.

You can always run a rechargeable cell too low, whatever the chemistry.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. RCR123 is a regular 3.7V Li-Ion (Lithium Cobalt / LiCo) cell. Usually with a max safe discharge rate of 2C, likely to blow your hand off if you treat it badly.

IMR123 (IMR 16340) is a 3.6V Lithium Manganese (LiMn) cell. Sold as unprotected, but does not vent with flame if treated badly. Good with high-current loads, but has lower capacity than LiCo.

LiFePO4 is a 3.2V Lithium Iron Phosphate cell. Also usually unprotected, good with high current draw, not likely to vent with flame. Higher capacity than LiMn.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Is there any danger to using one cell by itself? Any chance of it exploding, etc? In a 1 cell light? In a 2-Cell light with a spacer? From what I understand, using 1 cell by itself iscompletely safe, but I wanted a second opinion from the seasoned battery experts before proceeding.

I plan on using an old KL1 (3-9 Volt) in a 1 cell body with ultralast/ultrafire RCR123's. Thanks for any advice!

I think there still is some element of risk (even in a single cell light), if the cells are charged or discharged in an unsafe manner. Things to avoid:
-Over discharge to dangerously low Voltages (running the light until visible dimming)
-Discharge at excessively high current draw
-Over-charge

I think there have been relatively few reported incidences of single cell explosions or venting, so it is a safer application. But that does not mean one can be lax about the most basic charging/discharging safety practices.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there still is some element of risk (even in a single cell light), if the cells are charged or discharged in an unsafe manner. Things to avoid:
-Over discharge to dangerously low Voltages (running the light until visible dimming)
-Discharge at excessively high current draw
-Over-charge

I think there have been relatively few reported incidences of single cell explosions or venting, so it is a safer application. But that does not mean one can be lax about the most basic charging/discharging safety practices.

Thanks Kramer! This helped a bunch! I've always stucks to NiCads (B65's) and Duraloops, but have a few RCR123's sitting around, and decided to finally put them use. Thanks again!

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Thanks Kramer! This helped a bunch! I've always stucks to NiCads (B65's) and Duraloops, but have a few RCR123's sitting around, and decided to finally put them use. Thanks again!
I would agree with kramer that there is some danger, but using a single protected rechargeable cell is probably about as safe as it gets if your charger doesn't overcharge.
Try not to run the cell down until the protection kicks in, it's much better for it to recharge earlier.
If you have an unprotected cell try even harder not to overdischarge and measure the voltage before recharging (of course you can also do this with a protected cell if you want to be on the safe side). If it stays below 3.0 V dispose of the cell.