Thrunite Neutral White = Yellow??? Cheers to Going Gear!

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
This weekend I received 2 neutral white Thrunite Neutrons from Going Gear. I wanted a very bright, lightweight light for extended hiking trips. When you're carrying it on your back in a fully loaded pack you feel every ounce. Unfortunately, the beams on both were nearly yellow - much warmer than incandescent lights. That being said, they were insanely bright on 14500s and had a very nice, floody beam. I really like the low low. And, the ability to go immediately to turbo is handy for me.

The color was so far off I called Going Gear and spoke with Ryan, who told me they had noticed that Thrunite's NW LEDs were very warm. He told me to send them both back and he would replace them with a couple of the cool whites, which he said were white to his eye. That's customer service...CHEERS TO GOING GEAR. I'll buy from them again knowing that if there is a problem...even if it's the manufacturer's fault and not their own...they will make it right. Can't wait to get the replacements.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kind of like the tint on the warm ones. But Going Gear is great to do business with.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
I have NW 2A from going gear and it is about as neutral (or warm) as my nw mini AA or nw xeno e03 xp-g.
My nw xeno e03 xml is yellower thou, but nothing close to an incan.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recent 2AA neutral Neutron from Goinggear is NOT neutral. It is warm. I would guess 7C tint or so. It is WAY warmer than all my neutral lights from Malkoff, Zebralight, Dereelight, 4sevens, etc. My Malkoff M61w and Zebralight SC60w look cool next to the "neutral" Neutron. The Neutron makes all the white trim and doors in my house look brown. Thrunite seems to have no clue what a neutral tint should be. I have to say I love neutral lights but the tint of this one is just nasty.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to understand Neutral White lights for some time now. There actually seems to be MORE of the tint lottery with Neutrals than there is with Cool White LEDs.

Here is a dictionary definition for Neutral:
4. (of a colour such as white or black) having no hue; achromatic

So far, every light I've seen that has a so called Neutral LED has been warmish yellow. Seems to me there needs to be some standardized LED definition of color temperature when referring to a Neutral LED.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to understand Neutral White lights for some time now. There actually seems to be MORE of the tint lottery with Neutrals than there is with Cool White LEDs.

Here is a dictionary definition for Neutral:
4. (of a colour such as white or black) having no hue; achromatic

So far, every light I've seen that has a so called Neutral LED has been warmish yellow. Seems to me there needs to be some standardized LED definition of color temperature when referring to a Neutral LED.

I tend to agree with you a bit. Every menufacturer seems to have their own definition of "neutral". For Fenix, it seems to be the 3x tint bins. Most others like Malkoff, Zebralight, Dereelight, etc (including me) think it to be the 5x tint bins. I consider 7x warm but clearly Thrunite thinks those tint bins are neutral. It goes without saying that the 1x area is cool. My personal favorite is the 5C or so tint bin area.

Last edited:

Xak

Enlightened
Wow, I got a Thrunite 1A neutral and it is just barely neutral. Far closer to white than my other neutral lights, but still nice and neutral. My favorite neutral is the old neutral xp-e 4Sevens used to sell. I believe it was a 5C?