Unknown bulb

Nas7001

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can help me identify this bulb? There are no markings on the bulb.
Thanks.
snapshotaj.jpg

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Nas7001 :)

I've seen incan bulbs like this used in light fittings on paintings, where the fitting is attached to the top of the frame with the bulb and shade on an extended arm so the light is thrown back to illuminate the picture. The tube is ~1 inch dia and they are available in varying lengths such as 6, 8 or 10 inches, for different size fittings.

I'll move this to Fixed Lighting, where someone may be able to give you the product name or further details.

broadgage

Enlightened
I dont think that it is a halogen lamp intended for security or similar lights.
Looks to me like a linear lamp for illuminating pictures etc, as suggested in the first reply.

Common sizes are AFAIR are 221mm and 284mm, both lengths being available in a choice of 30 watt or 60 watt, 240 volts in the UK.
Other lengths and wattages no doubt exist but would be less common.
These lamps have a very low efficiency, and both LED and CFL alternatives are available.
Available in 120 volts for the USA, but not so widely used as in the UK.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Hard to tell, but isn't that an arc tube inside? Could be a low pressure sodium lamp...

Maybe or some type of HID?:sssh: What did it come out of??
take it to a Electrical shop they'll know or be able to find out for you.

Last edited:

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
That is an European double ended incandescent lamp, similar to our lumiline lamps. Used for accent lighting.

Nas7001

Newly Enlightened
Hi thanks for all your help and sorry for the long reply. It is a double ended incandescent lamp. It is used for lighting up a storage area for books.

xul

Enlightened
For a clue, measure the cold resistance; then the hot resistance is 10x to 15x this high.
The filament length and diameter will give you some idea of rated voltage.
The glass envelope surface area will give you some idea of watts dissipated.

ferratilis

Newly Enlightened
It looks like it has a filament, so that makes it a incandescent bulb.
A florescent, hid, or high pressure sodium has a gas inside that emits the light, instead of a heated wire as in the incandescent bulbs.