32650 Protected D size li-ion Tested at 3 amps

moderator007

Enlightened
The battery being tested here is the Novae 32650 protected battery. Link here.
Battery true dimensions are 32.75mm diameter and 70.40mm length. Checked with dial calipers.
I tested this battery with the turnigy accucel 8150 at 3 amps cutoff at 3v. Now i know this is not the correct discharge current for finding the true capacity. But i intended to run this battery at close to that in a 1 D maglite with xm-l. So i wanted to know what the real world capacity would be for my application. So here's what i got at 3 amps.
DSC00097.jpg

The big D got almost 4700mah. With a run time of a little over 1 1/2 hours.
So if i was building a single cell light drawing 3 amps with the shiningbeam 7135 driver. I would have almost the same run time as running 2 quality 18650's with a buck driver. If i use 2 32650's in a 2D mag that would be over 3 hours with a buck driver. Some serious run time for a 2D mag. Tail cap will have to be modified to fit.

I checked to see if these 32650's would fit in a 2D mag. They will but you will have to remove some of the tail cap lip for the tail to screw all the way on. The battery will fit down inside where the spring rest. But it needs to go about 2 mm farther inside the cap. With a lathe this is no problem. A dremel tool will probably make quick work of this also. The spring will have to be real short.

When i tested the battery i occasionally touched the battery to see if it was building any heat. No heat what so ever. The battery stayed cool to the touch all the way through the test. My conclusion is that i like the batterys for mag builds. No more battery adapters for 18650's.

On a different note, i did order these from Novae and received one battery damaged. Emailed them about the problem and they were very apologetic and offered to send me a brand new one. Got it in the mail in about three days. Company handled the replacment very well without hassle.

Last edited:

moderator007

Enlightened
I will try to do a 1 amp test for you LEDAdd1ct. It may take me a day or two.
It will take about 5 hours to test. Have to find the time.:thumbsup:

moderator007

Enlightened
Would you be willing to post a 1 amp test?

LEDAdd1ct
Well, here you go LEDAdd1ct.
DSC00119.jpg

Almost broke the 5200 mah mark. I have know idea why the time is 55:35. I know it took over 5 hours to complete. I wasn't watching it the entire time, i got bored left it in the kitchen running. I have never seen this turnigy read a false time. Wonder if the timer got so high it reset itself.
Feel free to comment as why the time was off or what happened.:thinking:

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much for the test! I wish could comment as to why the time is funky, but I don't have a clue.

moderator007

Enlightened
Novae has these in stock as far as i know. I just ordered some more last week. They arrived in a few days. They shipped the same day i ordered. I ordered early one morning.
The link to Novae is in post #1. Did they not have these in stock today?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well, here you go LEDAdd1ct.
DSC00119.jpg

Almost broke the 5200 mah mark. I have know idea why the time is 55:35. I know it took over 5 hours to complete. I wasn't watching it the entire time, i got bored left it in the kitchen running. I have never seen this turnigy read a false time. Wonder if the timer got so high it reset itself.
Feel free to comment as why the time was off or what happened.:thinking:

So this battery (at 2c) should handle 10 amps?

moderator007

Enlightened
Novae's description on there website says Discharge rate: 0.4-0.6C. This rate seems a little conservative to me.
2c would be 10 amps. Will it handle it i dont know. At 3 amps they never even warmed up to the touch.

Also these are protected. This means that the amperage draw max will also depend on where the pcb amperage cut off point is at.

dwminer

Enlightened
Novae has these in stock as far as i know. I just ordered some more last week. They arrived in a few days. They shipped the same day i ordered. I ordered early one morning.
The link to Novae is in post #1. Did they not have these in stock today?

On their home page it says "18650 and 32650 batteries are not available! Best prices in town!" . However I did not ask them.
Dave

moderator007

Enlightened
I always use this link here. I have ordered twice and received within days of order. I did see what your talking about on the home page.
I checked and my last order shipped out from them on the july15. So you may have to shoot them a email as i do not see a telephone #.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Novae's description on there website says Discharge rate: 0.4-0.6C. This rate seems a little conservative to me.
2c would be 10 amps. Will it handle it i dont know. At 3 amps they never even warmed up to the touch.

Also these are protected. This means that the amperage draw max will also depend on where the pcb amperage cut off point is at.

I'd say that the batteries would handle 10A just fine, but I would doubt that the PCB would. I have the Kaidomain protected 32650 cells and the unprotected versions. The unprotected ones can handle whatever I need them to, but the protected ones would not power up a ROP high bulb without some softstart mods. My KD cells are 5000mAh, these ones seem to have a little better specs but are probably similar. My 77W light powered by 3 Li-ions wont work from my protected cells, only my unprotected ones work (they seem to handle it just fine and my driver has low voltage protection which makes protected cells unnecessary).

If someone wants to test out the limits of these ones I'm sure the info would be appreciated.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
...... My 77W light powered by 3 Li-ions wont work from my protected cells, only my unprotected ones work (they seem to handle it just fine and my driver has low voltage protection which makes protected cells unnecessary).

Hi Mark. I think you know this already, but just wanted to make sure. The protection circuitry in your light wil only work in this situation if the 3 cells are matched very closely. The circuitry in your light is only monitoring the "pack" voltage, not the voltage of each individual cell. So, if your cells are not well matched, you could run into problems.

While I've run unprotected 14500 and 16340 cells in 2 and 3s configurations, it's not something I suggest that others do, for the above reasons. Unlike a laptop, where each cell in the pack is monitored by the protection circuitry, there are no light drivers that I am aware of, that do this. The best you can do is closely match the cells and try to avoid discharging the "pack" down too far.

Dave

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
The protection circuitry in your light wil only work in this situation if the 3 cells are matched very closely. The circuitry in your light is only monitoring the "pack" voltage, not the voltage of each individual cell. So, if your cells are not well matched, you could run into problems.

They should be well matched, but thanks for the reminder - I'll check the voltage on each cell the next time I pull them to charge them back up, just to make sure they are close in voltage.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I never heard of li ion batteries being good only to .4C Seems to defeat the purpose. All I can think of is to save a buck they used the same pcb as 18650 cells.

moderator007

Enlightened
.4c would be 2 amps i tested at 3 amps. I put it on the turnigy awhile ago and tried to make the pcb cut off. It did not kick off at 5 amps discharge. This is as high of a current the turnigy will discharge at. It didn't seem to mind it at all. I dont have anything that i could draw more current to see were the pcb kicks off at. It doesnt kick off at 5 amps so where.

Before i bought these batteries i contacted novae as they didn't have any specs for the battery on there site at the time. I ask for the specs by email. They responded by telling me they would have to contact their supplier. So shortly after they posted specs on their site. This leds me to believe that maybe they dont really know for sure. So they may have posted conservative specs to be safe. They are here in the usa so things are different than they are in china. But this is just my opinion.

As for the pcb being a 18650 battery pcb. It is much larger than the 18650 pcb. It is very different as far as size goes.
It could have the same components as the 18650 pcb. I do have one battery that came damage exposing the pcb. I could take a picture of the pcb if anyone has a 18650 pcb to compare it too.

moderator007

Enlightened
I did contact them (novae) and received a email back stating that they do have these in stock.