Post if you've never owned a SF Saint!

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm totally biting Robo's thread idea, and I'm not hating on SF, but I was just curious. With the SF Saint being so frequently mentioned as a superior headlamp, I'm curious why more people don't own them, and maybe hear some reasons why. ;)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen anything that would make me want one. They seem heavy, the beam doesn't look good to me, some report glare issues.

The variable brightness and beam angle adjustment are the other areas that hold any interest for me on this light.

The Minimus is the only one that would suit me if all the other issues were addressed.

Price would be an issue only if I wanted it in the first place. If it was the perfect headlamp (for me) price would be that much of an issue anyway.

I'm also not that into Surefire in general (overpriced/under performing) so I've never really even considered buy one.

When I first heard of it I did research it a bit.

Nice idea Robo/Bolster :)

robostudent5000

Enlightened
prices only the Pentagon would find reasonable. don't want to wear a battery pack and don't want to use 123 primaries for a headlamp. tint.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too expensive for its capability.

Plus, isn't the Saint designed to run on CR123 cells, with AA cells only as a secondary, sub-optimal power source? Or is that Saint Minimus?

Anyhow I've disposed of all of my CR123 powered lights, and don't forsee ever buying any CR123 format light in the future.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't owned a saint.
Not that I don't want one, it's a cool little headlamp and would be perfect for working on the car.
I just have other stuff I want first (camera gear)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
guilty <------

im a warm tint snob, so it was automactically crossed off the list... although the new high CRI minimus did spark my interest... but i havent heard much about it... or if its even released yet.

i also like my headlamps smaller and lightweight.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Price. Price. Oh, did I mention the Price?
I don't like the infinite variable levels. Makes me want to push the brightness level and lower my run times. I like run time vs. output.
Also I am sort of a guy that wants you to walk the walk. Not talk the talk! If you have to talk that high price game you better be able to back it up with some serious performance.
Oh yeah don't like the external battery pac, but like the idea that it can be transformed into a "Minimus".

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Me, but only because it's too pricey for what it does, I just clip a Quark to my cap and take the neck strain.
I would try the HCRI Minimus though, would make a great hands free light for doing machining tasks.

tedh

Newly Enlightened
Cost. Battery (have standardized on AAs). To a degree, tint.

Now, on the other hand, the dial-a-lumen, that I like. A single-AA light with a lumen dial, I could get behind that.

Ted

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto. I like the dial. I'd be thrilled with either a 1AA or 2AA dialed headlamp.

Like others here, I've sold off most my CR123 and have standardized on AA, so was thinking the 2AA version of the Saint might be my huckleberry. But it looks like a hat with a visor (to me).

Still, I'd probably buy it if...it were a neutral or high CRI. I keep waiting for the "Saint I can't live without" to be introduced. Some day.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I have bought one, Twice... and returned them twice.

Price had no impact on any of the experience with the light(s)

The first one was returned not because of the horrible tint (cat **** green) but because of the fact that the optic projected a perfect square hotspot and was terribly distracting.

The second was returned because it would go from 0-100 lumens but once you were past the 10 lumen detent the potentiometer wouldnt roll back to 10 lumens, I had to return the light with no battery in it and it stuck on a 10 lumens.

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
I've never owned one, primarily because of the lousy tint and poor beam pattern. All the talk of blinding spill artifacts really put me off. I love my Spark and Zebralight.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
I agree that the most attractive thing about it is the Surefire name and the "dial-a-lumen" function.
If some other manufacturer were to come out with a cheaper, similar alternative...............

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the most attractive thing about it is the Surefire name and the "dial-a-lumen" function.
If some other manufacturer were to come out with a cheaper, similar alternative...............

+1. By itself though, it's not enough of an advantage to make me want to buy one.