Polishing a Spy

blackfly

Enlightened
Has anyone tried polishing their Spy? I have polished other Ti lights with .0000 steel wool & they have turned out well. The Spy has nice machining marks though & I wouldn't want to mess up the appearance. I am interested if anyone has tried polishing their spy & how it turned out. My .007 gets used daily at work. It has been handled very carefully. But it has definitely been used & has some signs of wear. I am hoping someone can contribute with their experience before I try it.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not think a 007 has been polished to a shiny finish. It would not be difficult if you have a big polishing wheel. The grade 5 titanium will polish to a mirror finish (see the old 005 threads for my version of polished titanium). You will have to take out the machining marks as you would polishing any metal. Just make sure you polish the flat sides in a methodical manner so as to keep them flat and free of waves that would really show up strong. Do all of the polishing with the light fully assembled except for the knob. Especially keep the battery cap on the body as you polish.

I look forward to the pics.

Cheers
Dave

blackfly

Enlightened
I eventually tried the .0000 steel wool approach. I polished out some places of wear at the split ring attachment point. I also polished out some minor scuffs on the surface. I cannot detect any variation in gloss & the machining marks are still there. I only had some suface marks to correct. But a fully polished spy would look nice indeed.

Latest posts