Black Moon LTD
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Foods you love that some people find disgusting

Default Re: Foods you love that some people find disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    I think I've seen that called a 'Century Egg' is that right?
    Yep. But he refers specifically to duck egg.
    Century eggs are also made of chicken and sometimes quail eggs (rare).

I had some sardines on crackers tonight, but compared to some of this other filth that sounds pretty normal! Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I had some sardines on crackers tonight, but compared to some of this other filth that sounds pretty normal! Haha.
    My wife is 19 weeks pregnant, and that's her snack of choice at the moment

Another odd one I find tasty is cottage cheese with sliced Jalapenos.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by mvyrmnd View Post
    I think I've seen that called a 'Century Egg' is that right?
    yes, that is it.

but century egg may also be considered [through an apparent translation confusion] to a type of 滷蛋, or eggs that have been boiled in a master stock repeatedly reused to poach or braise meats. It is very close to Tea Eggs

This in itself is delicious and very few people would consider it disgusting. Its a light brown colored egg that has the aroma of meat [pork, beef] along with the smell of soysauce. Now if the egg was boiled in this medium for a week, it becomes 鐵蛋 [literally: Iron Egg]. So far, such a food variety can be found only in Taiwan, since it has been saturated in a salty medium for long durations, it could be stored in room temperature indefinitely... leading many to believe such a product can be stored for several years, of course, it has yet to be proven.

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    yes, that is it.

but century egg may also be considered [through an apparent translation confusion] to a type of 滷蛋, or eggs that have been boiled in a master stock repeatedly reused to poach or braise meats. It is very close to Tea Eggs

This in itself is delicious and very few people would consider it disgusting. Its a light brown colored egg that has the aroma of meat [pork, beef] along with the smell of soysauce. Now if the egg was boiled in this medium for a week, it becomes 鐵蛋 [literally: Iron Egg]. So far, such a food variety can be found only in Taiwan, since it has been saturated in a salty medium for long durations, it could be stored in room temperature indefinitely... leading many to believe such a product can be stored for several years, of course, it has yet to be proven.
    You can't mistake one for the other.. they look entirely different!

Just ate some octopus on Sunday. Fantastic.

visually no, translating terms for people who may have never seen a comparison... yes

Southern fried chicken livers,love them.

Hehehe the one on the right is good with Beer. It's pork intestines that's deep fried. No I didn't buy any since I'd like to keep my cholesterol in good shape.

Current EDC: BA10 & E01 (back to old school)

Flashaholic*

I didn't know you have chicharrones there too...

Enlightened

A few foods come to mind.

Lima beans, something few people I know really enjoy. (Sort of like tequila, for me, "food" though it isn't, really.)

Spicy eggplant Szechuan Chinese dish, one of my favorites.

Tofu, with a texture and bland taste that many can't accept, though like eggs it can be a great "base" for any number of wonderfully spiced and dressed-up dishes.

Soy milk instead of plain cow's milk, which chokes most of my friends but which over the past 15 years has turned out to be my choice over plain milk (go figure), whether poured over cereal or as a drink from a glass, though it doesn't seem to work well as a "cooking" milk since it won't thicken in the same way.
    SF L2 w/ Malkoff M61W/M60LL, NailBender XMLLambda 2DXML MagFenix P1D/P1D-CES-Mini XPGQuark 123 Tactical R5

Quote Originally Posted by pnwoutdoors View Post
    Tofu, with a texture and bland taste that many can't accept, though like eggs it can be a great "base" for any number of wonderfully spiced and dressed-up dishes.

Yum.. but I'll prefer some sauce with it. Or throw it into soup.

Soy milk instead of plain cow's milk, which chokes most of my friends but which over the past 15 years has turned out to be my choice over plain milk (go figure), whether poured over cereal or as a drink from a glass, though it doesn't seem to work well as a "cooking" milk since it won't thicken in the same way.

Another thumbs up. I take it as a drink though. Have never thought of using it to replace cow's milk for cereal.. can't fathom how it'll taste. Must try.
    Seeing your likes, I'd recommend you get your hands on a bowl of tow huey (dou hua) if you can. Great dish.
    Last edited by chanjyj; 08-13-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Had fried frog leg for the first time tonight at a Chinese restaurant. It was pretty good actually. Flaky, like fish, but milder and less, well, fishy. I'd eat it again.

Pig blood cake or Pig blood pudding(豬血糕)
    Dont know how to describe it, there's nothing i know taste like it. Actually yes, goose blood cake.
    I pretty much eat every organ of pigs or cows, so another my favorite is crispy pig colon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1anrm View Post
    Hehehe the one on the right is good with Beer. It's pork intestines that's deep fried. No I didn't buy any since I'd like to keep my cholesterol in good shape.

$6 for isaw? whoa. i hope that's for the whole tray.

A food that I love Is BBQ pickled eggs. A good friend of mine has family that live in Kentucky and they make them all the time. He went down to visit and brought some back years ago. I've been making them ever since. I also like to make a bologna, peanut butter, and mayonnaise sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnbeck180 View Post
    . I also like to make a bologna, peanut butter, and mayonnaise sandwich.
    ...and we have a winner. That just did more to make me go ick than DM51s rancid camel.

My boss from years ago used to make them, he was always trying to get me to try one. I was in the same boat you are, nearly turned my stomach just thinking about it.....then......I tried one. Honestly it was really good. It does sound disgusting but for some reason when you put them all together it's good.