will a mag 5 cell bulb blow up on 3 x 123's?

Azreal911

Enlightened
will a mag 5 cell bulb blow up on 3 x 123\'s?

Hi there i have at home a cheapie 2D cell plastic cheapie and i'm thinking of trying to fit in 3 x cr123's in the sucker. Plus going to install a 5 cell mag bulb for a knockout bright light for cheap and probably a better runtime than 1 hr. Or else if that'll blow the bulb i'll try a 6cell bulb instead. Does anyone know what size radiator tube i should be using to fit the 123's nicely in a D cell chamber? or will i need to layer the radiator tubes on top of each other? thanks for your help. I'll probably melt the reflector but at least i'll have fun doing this.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Re: will a mag 5 cell bulb blow up on 3 x 123\'s?

No. I do it now. 5/8" tube inside a larger PVC pipe is what I use for the D-size.

Azreal911

Enlightened

thanks gonna go to the hardware store tonight for that, wow quick response! i'm somehow like others that my eye's prefer the yellow light over the blue somehow. the bluish one's bug me. good thing my lgi is perfectly white /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hardware stores are my favorite places to hang out!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

The 5 cell bulb is what I run on 3x123. I use 1" PVC pipe with 3/4 CPVC inside it with a couple wraps of Duck Tape to fit 123s in a D light. The tape keeps the 3/4 from rattling inside the 1". Springs can be problematic.

Heat MAY be a problem....

onelight

Enlightened

Mr Bulk has a large supply of used rubber hose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
onelight said:
Mr Bulk has a large supply of used rubber hose /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

With the emphasis on "used"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

A 5-cell bulb will do nicely on 3x123. After flashing my incan mods around, I find the pure white light of my L4 pretty harsh. The eye responds nicely to a warmer spectral balance. Sure, color rendering is not as precise as with a 6500K source but really, who cares. Now if you're doing color critical work, white light works nicely. But for general illumination, a warmer color cast is less fatiguing.

Wilkey

Azreal911

Enlightened

that's pretty much true for me too ginseng, i know that led's a far superior for general lighting but it just really wears my eyes down staring at stuff.

As for the mod i did tonight I went to the hardware store and bought 3 feet of 5/8" radiator tubing (got more for just in case i find something else to mod), wrapped the cells in the tubing twice. good thing the spring was long enough to go into the tubing so i made the tube longer than the 3 cells, which the funky wrap totally stays put no rattle at all. split a bunch of 223's for some 123 batteries and put in a 5 cell mag bulb into some 2 dollar light that came in some emergency car kit and it has like a very flexible cheap lens. But after the Installations all i can say is "great googly moogly!" i was totally blinded shining it into my eyes! went out to the balcony and i could light up the side of a building or houses below that are 200-400 feet from me easily! it had a tight focus with rings before but the brightness totally overided the rings all i got with a blinding spot that was very nice!

The good thing out of this is now i have a pretty reliable emergency light due to the powersource and it's a good bump in the night type of light because of the high lumen output. white star lamps are rated around 83 lumens but this things overdriven so it's probably a little higher around 90. and with the lower power of this light i'll probably get a good 1 1/2hrs of runtime on this not bad for a $7cdn dollar modded light. and i still have 2 ft of spare rubber.... hose! ahem need some mr. bulk? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh,

That's a pretty sweet feeling Az. Nothing brings satisfaction like a hand-hacked torch that makes you go "hot damn! that thing am bright!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wilkey