Zebralight H501w Problem, projected the Die??

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was using my H501w at work the other day while changing out lights fixtures in one of the building on site. I was near a wall and at one point the beam caught my eye. I shined it directly at the wall from 3 feet or so and I could make out the Die of the emitter projected on the wall, very similar to an aspheric set up but not as pronounced. I wiped the lens with my finger and it went away.
This has got me wondering/worrying a little. Could the lens be loose and wrking it's way off or is it something as simple as maybe sweat (it was HOT that day) got on the lens and caused the distortion?

Thanks,

Jamie

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the problem went away when you wiped the lens I'd say there probably is no problem.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the problem went away when you wiped the lens I'd say there probably is no problem.
My concern was the possibility of the lens being loose. I've read on here somewhere about Some ZL's getting moisture/water in them.

BTW: thanks for the reply, was hearing crickets over here.. :wave:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any evidence of the lens being loose? Is the lens rattling around?

Most of the "moisture/water ingress" reports are continually recirculating from early 2009, when Zebralight sold a batch of insufficiently sealed lights, H501s and H60s. Was your H501w purchased early 2009? (Were H501w's even available early 09?) If not, and if you can't see/feel any lens displacement, and you can't see droplets of water on the backside of the lens under a magnifying glass (with the light OFF, obviously...), you're very likely inventing troubles you don't actually have. If it's really bothering you, dunk it in a glass of water. If that kills it, then yes, you had a bad light, and your fears were true. Then send it to China and wait two months.

I can't see the correlation between seeing the die projected / moisture wiped off / problem solved, and moisture ingress. I'm wondering if moisture droplets on the outside of the lens were acting as a secondary lens?

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it in a trade and have no idea when it was bought new. Looks like the 'ol H501w is going swimming so I can quit thinking about it. :grin2:

EDIT: Dunked it in a cup of water and all is well, no signs of water on the inside.

I can't see the correlation between seeing the die projected / moisture wiped off / problem solved, and moisture ingress. I'm wondering if moisture droplets on the outside of the lens were acting as a secondary lens?

I wasn't sure if I wiped moisture off or pushed lens back in. I guess the answer was "water droplet= secondary lens"

Thanks for helping put my mind at ease. FWIW: I'm a noob when it comes to headlamps, I have the H501w and just bought a Streamlight Sidewinder Compact (I'll be using it as a headlamp) and that's the extent of my headlamp experience.

Jamie

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well good, sounds like you have no problem. It would make sense the lens is attached from the inside (?) so I doubt pushing it back in, was even an option. If the lens is loose, you'd probably need to "pull it back out." Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Jamie, I gotta know if your an Electrician since you were changing lights? I am and I used to pack a hand held. what a waste of time. went to headlamps and will never go back. I think it odd that you have little knowledge of the usefulness of headlamps. Maybe that trade for the Zebralight spoiled you a little. Got a good one right off the bat!

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jamie, I gotta know if your an Electrician since you were changing lights? I am and I used to pack a hand held. what a waste of time. went to headlamps and will never go back. I think it odd that you have little knowledge of the usefulness of headlamps. Maybe that trade for the Zebralight spoiled you a little. Got a good one right off the bat!
Yes, I've been doing electrical work since early 1998, oddly enough I haven't used or owned a headlamp until earlier this year. I've been on a flashlight quest lately but I think I've found most of those. It might be time to start hunting for headlamps now, I can feel it calling me. :whistle: