CampingAZ Lanterns?

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Hello all!

Im considering purchasing a CampingAZ 270 Lumostar Lantern off of flea-bay and was wondering how they are. I know the gas cartridges and mantles are hard to find here in the US, but in Europe, the brand is very popular. REI used to carry the cartridges and may still. I have a CampingAZ backpacking stove that uses the same cartridges and have several of them so fuel isn't an issue. The lantern and stove are small enough that I may keep them in my just-in-case BOB for emergencies. Here's a link to the lantern. Thanks for any insight about the lantern.
Stove info

Greg

Last edited:

russelle

Newly Enlightened
I have a Campingaz lumogaz c200 that was given to me by the FiL. Looks like the Lumostar 270 is an updated version.

Since I'm off camping at the weekend, I may take it along & give it a go.

I'll post my findings.

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Russelle

Thanks for the come-back. When I have time I'll set up my NIB C270 this coming weekend. I like the size and hope the rated output will be bright enough. I just got it end of last week from a pretty good seller on £bay. I even found some mantles from another seller. I have a regular propane 2-mantle Coleman lantern, but it's way way too big for backpacking. Although Coleman bought the Campingaz company, it's very hard to find the mantles at a regular brick n mortar stores like Cabela's. Walmart at one point had the glass globes for the Century Primus line of small lanterns which also fit the Campingaz, but have since been discontinued. I have a Cabela's up the road from me and they don't carry them, not even on line/mail order. I need to dig out my Campingaz stove from one of several moving boxes, that's where I have a partially used canister to try it out with. The canisters are hard to find too. An REI retail store in CT where I moved from, not on line, had (has?) the cartridges for sale. I hope I didn't shoot myself in the foot by buying an obsolete piece of camping gear. I'll try to get some picts up here when I get it all assembled and lit.

Cheers

Greg

russelle

Newly Enlightened
At least yours uses the clip on cartridges, mine uses the pierce ones so once it's attached, it stays that way till it's empty!