NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fenix TK70 – Olight SR90 - Microfire Warrior III

Flashaholic

Default Fenix TK70 – Olight SR90 - Microfire Warrior III

Compared all three tonight and the clear winner is the TK70. The TK70 has more throw, more flood and is just plain brighter. This I did not expect. I spent the late afternoon charging batteries. I had to use a hobby charger for the D cells in the TK70 as the battery charger from Battery Junction was DOA. Lots of moisture in the air tonight and by the time I got the camera set up, the tule fog had come in. Perhaps tomorrow will be better.
    Weight:
    SR90 1595g
    TK70 1383g
    Warrior 832g
    Mag-lite 4 D cell 1090g
    In my opinion the TK70 is assume, if you can live with the size. It’s about 1 inch longer than a Mag-lite 4 D cell.
    Dave
    Remember the above are just my opinions and observations. So please feel free to flame all you want. At my age I just don't care.

Pictures taken with Canon 1DsIII 24-105 f4.0, ISO 400 8sec. @f5.0 Sized only in PhotoShop CS5. All taken at 105mm.
    Distance to first tree about 200 t0 250 yards.

The setup

Home with the cows, all 15 of them.

SR90

SR90 distance

TK70

TK70 distance

Warror III

Catapult V3
    Last edited by dwminer; 07-21-2011 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Ad pictures

Default Re: Fenix TK70 – Olight SR90 - Microfire Warrior III

Too bad you don't have an SR92 to compare.

Oh come on, you know the Maglite was the winner........

I am surprised that the TK70 had a farther throw than the SR90. I can't wait until we start seeing comparison pics and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by john-paul View Post

I am surprised that the TK70 had a farther throw than the SR90. I can't wait until we start seeing comparison pics and videos.
    Me to more throw than the SR90 with 3 LED's vs 1???
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC10, BC25, RRT-0, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti (lost RIP), Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31vn, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Quote Originally Posted by john-paul View Post

I'm very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by dwminer View Post
    Remember the above are just my opinions and observations. So please feel free to flame all you want. At my age I just don't care.
    Thanks for the comparison and the laugh.

some beamshots in the fog would be awesome!

EDIT: holy crapola! that thing is scary bright! too bright for where i live, i would worry turning it on...
    i hope this makes way for more triple and quad XM-L lights...
    Last edited by skyfire; 07-21-2011 at 08:22 PM.

Very encouraging about the light, not so optimistic on the BJ charger after reading this... hope mine will be OK. Ordered yesterday.

The anticipation is killin' me on this one!! At least being big will be good for dog walks as I can hold it under an arm when picking up after 3 dogs!

Rich

I thought the TK70 would have to be super bright due to 4 NiMH D cells

Pics!!!!!

bigC
    Surefire 6P with Malkoff M60 simple, bright, efficient.

HOLY BEAM SHOTS! IS THAT FOR REALLLLLLLLLL? I'M GETTING ONE!... Are you sure you don't have the SR90 on low? LOL

Where did you get your light from? Any weird tint?
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC10, BC25, RRT-0, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti (lost RIP), Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31vn, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Wow, that TK70 is bright,just keeps going into the trees in the far paddock.

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    HOLY BEAM SHOTS! IS THAT FOR REALLLLLLLLLL? I'M GETTING ONE!... Are you sure you don't have the SR90 on low? LOL

Considering the SR-90 makes 1200 OTF lumens nominally ----1480 OTF only at turn-on. I think the pictures are good depiction of what's expected.

Quote Originally Posted by bigchelis View Post
    Considering the SR-90 makes 1200 OTF lumens nominally ----1480 OTF only at turn-on. I think the pictures are good depiction of what's expected.

No the SR90! not 91 or 92 http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=497 brightest LED light in the world 2200 lumens but the TK70 blows it away.

No the SR90! not 91 or 92 http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=497 brightest LED light in the world 2200 lumens but the TK70 blows it away.
    In case you missed it. Both SR90 and smaller SR91 make nearly identical OTF lumens regardless of what it's advertised, sorry but it's true. At least SR91 folks get what they paid for.

Great comparison pics!

Your results seem consistant with the other test that these testers did here.

http://www.ramocafe.com/t180476.html

Going to order one today

In case you missed it. Both SR90 and smaller SR91 make nearly identical OTF lumens regardless of what it's advertised, sorry but it's true. At least SR91 folks get what they paid for.
    I know a bunch of people complained that the SR91 have weak battery life...But I look at it as a positive since it's pushed hard just like the Sr90. I wished it was pushed harder but oh well...:-)

Flashaholic*

Thanks! Some nice lookin' gear including that antenna.

That light is just crazy.... If it used 18650 I might be more tempted; don't know if I can resist, but the batteries used helps because I know like the HID this light would not see a lot of use. I like though that Fenix is really relesing some impressive lights like the TK35 and this one, even their recent small lights have something that's missing in other lights. They are innovating again and still keeping the prices very reasonable. They are gaining back lost ground, against some of the other manufacturers. They appear to be living up-to their name.

fonarik.com also shows that the TK70 is quite impressive.

It looks like GoingGear needs to update their website. Not to mention they need to get the TK70 into their Mega Comparison video. I think the SR91 is the biggest they have tested so far.

Banned

Impressive output from the TK70 of course. Surprised by the throw.

Can you clarify if the weight of the TK70 includes cells?

I measure 4 x AccuEvolution D cells, 10Ah to be 588g on their own, which would make the TK70 795g?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by uknewbie View Post

I measure 4 x AccuEvolution D cells, 10Ah to be 588g on their own, which would make the TK70 795g?
    Yes, the TK70 is just 769 grams.

Flashaholic

Yes it is, I just went and rechecked it to be sure. That is with 4 Tenergy 10,000mAh cells in the tube, 1383g.
    Dave
    Last edited by dwminer; 07-21-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Thanks Dave. Those are some great beam shots. That TK70 is amazing. wow. I had second thoughts after I ordered one the other day but now I'm glad I did. The cows are going to need sunglasses at night.
    Last edited by tre; 07-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.

You guys are really making it tough on a flashaholic. I own the Trustfire X6, which I am beginning to like a lot. I ordered the 3X XM-L SkyRay thirteen days ago. I own a Maha C808M charger and thirty D AccuEvolution LSDs. What to do, what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by fnsooner View Post
    I own a Maha C808M charger and thirty D AccuEvolution LSDs. What to do, what to do.
    30 D LSD cells and an C808M. I think you know what to do.

I have Microfire Warrior 3500 R

Throw is something like on your pictures... Poor...

I think that MFW 3500R could beat them easily only if it had smooth reflector inside...

I also have OP reflector inside please look:

It is underperformed by it. Some guy on CPF has measured about 53 000 lux meter readings with OP reflector, and as he couldn't find smooth he polished OP reflector turning it into SMO and he get 93 000 lux per meter readings...

I am in big dilema now... Would really like SMO inside but I would also kept OP...

So if someone can get SMO please let me know...
    I am in endless pursuit for best aspherical and non aspherical throwers...

could you please take one of that stanley hid 3200 you got laying there also ??
    would LOVE to see how it compares ,as i have one also ??
    tx.............
    Last edited by nodoubt; 07-21-2011 at 04:01 PM.

Banned

Post Re: Fenix TK70 – Olight SR90 - Microfire Warrior III

In fairness to Olight, the SR90 being rated as 2200 lumens was common at the time of its release, when everyone was using emitter lumens. I don't think this was Olight trying to deceive anyone.

Also remember when comparing: the TK70 is newer, using technology that did not exist at the time of the SR90's release (XML), uses 3 LED's instead of 1 and is both longer and has a larger head diameter than the SR90.

I seem to recall lots of negative comments about the SR90's size, but not so many about the TK70 for some reason. Bear in mind also that for throw comparison, the floody light will always look brighter because it is lighting up all of the ground in front of you. If the object being lit at distance had nothing else between you and it, i.e no closer trees/fields/fences etc, the difference would not look as great. The SR90 really is set up for throw.

Seems using D cells has a big selling factor for people. Even though this thing will basically need to have high capacity NiMH cells in it at all times to do what they claim, or anything like it, which are not so "commonly available". People also have to buy these and a quality 4 bay or greater charger, and have no battery life indicator on the light.

Fenix is much cheaper though in fairness and I am sure has some huge output which is impressive.

Great work with the comparison pictures, thanks.
    Last edited by uknewbie; 07-21-2011 at 04:05 PM.

that first big tree at the fenceline is 250 yds ??? if so,, wow....

Flashaholic*

Seems using D cells has a big selling factor for people. Even though this thing will basically need to have high capacity NiMH cells in it at all times to do what they claim, or anything like it, which are not so "commonly available". People also have to buy these and a quality 4 bay or greater charger, and have no battery life indicator on the light.
    In a real emergency, it can also use 8 x AA, with those 2xAA -> D adapters. It may not withstand the current in turbo mode, but I guess in high mode 930 lumens is a piece of cake. But the thing is, you'd get days of low mode even with 8 x AA, great for emergencies.
    Heck you'd get days even with 4 x AA.

So with those you can use Alkalines, primary lithiums, Ni-MH, anything in an emergency.

Flashaholic*

Also remember when comparing: the TK70 is newer, using technology that did not exist at the time of the SR90's release (XML), uses 3 LED's instead of 1 and is both longer and has a larger head diameter than the SR90.

I seem to recall lots of negative comments about the SR90's size, but not so many about the TK70 for some reason.
    Bro, I see on thaicpf that the TK70 can be run without the extender. It would then be the same length as the SR92.... They have 2 threads there which has extensive beamshots and test between TK70, SR92 and Sky Ray 3xT6.

http://www.thaicpf.com/webboard/index.php?topic=2863.0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast