Foxfury Breakthrough
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FM1909 replacement?

Super Moderator

Default Re: FM1909 replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    I doubt there are even 8 real incand guy left.
    Far more than that!

I only have 1x 1909 left, and I would certainly like some more. If you start a feeler thread for these, please notify us here.
    Resistance is futile...

Enlightened

I would be in for a few.

Unenlightened

I would be interested in a few 1909 bulbs as well.

Flashaholic

I'm in for a few 1909 bulbs also.

Flashaholic*

Lightbulb Re: FM1909 replacement?

Sounds like about 35-40 bulbs are spoken for so far. If an actual feeler thread were started I bet you'd get to 100+.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite View Post
    I would buy 5 or 10 of these 1909 if the 100 are made. I missed out, I only have two spares for two lights. Was planning on buying and building another FM1909 host using the Mag heads and C cell FM bodies.
    Hey, that`s great.

Everybody wants some until it is time to put the money out.

I commissioned a private run of FM (CL) 1794`s and axials and still have some left.

These widely popular, extraordinary, bulbs were clamored for and produced out of pocket, BY ME, as a private run.

Based upon the feelers and the amount of response, such as I am reading, in this tread, they were produced without payment up front.

If anyone needs some of these little guys, please give a holler!

FiveMega Custom Bulbs: FM-1794 & Axial! AW Custom Soft Start Switches **Part 2**
    Started by WonderLite, 06-11-2011 09:12 PM

Many thanks. WONDERLITE

Flashaholic*

I would have no problem putting my money up front.

I still have several left from last time around which are getting more valuable the longer these are out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    I would have no problem putting my money up front.

I still have several left from last time around which are getting more valuable the longer these are out of production.
    Colonel Sanders;

Understand. However, the $$ needed for future bulb project(s) are in this inventory of FM 1794 and axial bulbs
    Dealing with the bulb manufacturers is not a pleasure and unreliable. Taking money on future goods is unpleasant because there is NO reliability on production dates/time and one ends up with a gaggle of people emailing incessantly, with righteous indignation, wanting to know, why, when where and how, because having prepaid gives one the right to do so.

Having said that, I will not revisit this quagmire, until the inventory is gone, if that ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlite View Post
    Colonel Sanders;

Understand. However, the $$ needed for future bulb project(s) are in this inventory of FM 1794 and axial bulbs
    Dealing with the bulb manufacturers is not a pleasure and unreliable. Taking money on future goods is unpleasant because there is NO reliability on production dates/time and one ends up with a gaggle of people emailing incessantly, with righteous indignation, wanting to know, why, when where and how, because having prepaid gives one the right to do so.

Having said that, I will not revisit this quagmire, until the inventory is gone, if that ever happens.
    Totally understandable, wonderlite, and I agree it is a lot of hassle/risk for little benefit. I would NEVER recommend that anyone do a pre-payment project.

In any case, I wanted to again say thanks for how well you handled the whole thing, including those defective manufactured bulbs that had to be recalled and replaced through no fault of you or Nite. Please know that there are many of us who deeply appreciate what you both did and put at risk.

I'm sad to hear you still are stuck with unsold stock--especially knowing how well these bulbs perform. How many do you have left--and what are the prices now?

(Mods--if I am violating the Marketplace rules by asking, please feel free to delete/edit my questions--I just feel bad to see those two get stuck, given their noble efforts and contributions to the community)

Flashaholic*

I'd be all too happy to buy the bulbs that were available - save lots of hassle all around, but unfortunately the 1794 is too low a voltage, and the axial is rated at just over a third the power (and hence presumably a considerably lower lumen output) than the FM1909. The 1909 just happens to be exactly what I need - basically a WA1185 replacement, that can be pushed harder (and without the tendency for the legs to fracture the envelope leading to the bulb exploding..... ).

Flashaholic*

That definitely sounds like a lot of trouble for little to no reward, Wonderlite. I didn't know that and I'm sorry that worked out for you like that.

Here's to better future endeavors. <cheers>

The problem with the sales on the FM1909 bulb is it's too robust. I have 4ea. FM09s I've been running for quite a while with out loosing the first bulb and only 1 of them has a soft start switch. One of my favorite bulbs for sure.
    Billy

Flashaholic*

Billy, I agree. I love to push a bulb to it's absolute extreme and even 3 x IMR(any size) doesn't do it for the FM1909.

So.....I'm thinking about running it on 4 x LiFePO4 cells with my AW soft start...I won't be happy until I a couple!

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
    I love to push a bulb to it's absolute extreme and even 3 x IMR(any size) doesn't do it for the FM1909.
    If your 3 IMR don't drive 1909 close to instaflash point, then you definitely have some problem and try to locate and identify it. Check batteries, switch, connectors and....
    Above statement is for direct drive without soft start which means if your host has very very very low resistance and total voltage of 3 large IMR batteries are 12.8 volt, you will flash the bulb.
    Please don't look to
    this chart unless you study how test has been done and understand that duplicating same or similar test is not practical in flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Looking at the feeler thread the last time - if we could get 4 bulbs for $68 shipped anywhere in the world again I'm keen, happy to pre-pay as well.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Flashaholic*

Fivemega, (and I would never want to argue with YOU about your bulb!) I'm looking at it like this. 3 X IMR is about 12.6v when under no load and hot off a charge. Now, put it under load for only a couple of minutes and it's probably more like 11.6v running which is not pushing the 1909 as hard as I would like to push it. The 1185, on the other hand, is at that point running at about 11.9v which is right at the bleeding edge of and is therefore noticeable whiter. I have played with these combinations side by side enough to see that the 1909 just isn't as white on 3 x IMR for very long.

Here is some testing I did using 3 x 26500s and this bulb. This was done with a reworked stock switch, not the AW switch.

Resting voltage was 12.56 or 4.187v per cell.
    Initial running voltage (at the moment of startup) was 12.1v.

Here is the running voltage drop over time.

Min. Voltage Temp
    1 11.7
    2 11.55
    3 11.43 134
    4 11.34
    5 11.25 142
    6 11.14
    7 11.05 157
    8 10.97

After only 2 minutes we're at 11.55v running and down to 11.25v after 5. Now granted, this was done with 26500s instead of 26650s but I don't think there would be much (if any) difference for the first few minutes.

So as we see, the batteries only supply 12v+ to the 1909 but for a moment. They can't supply this rate for long under a 5.5a load.

My 1909 host really only has the resistance of the AW switch plus the resistance of the batteries and their contacts. I use direct battery to copper in the tailcap....no spring. I have to be VERY careful with the 1185 bulbs in this host, running them on medium for a bit before going to high when the cells are charged to 4.2v. Even doing this I will occasionally murder an 1185. However, the 1909, in my experience, is no problem to go directly to high with this soft start switch.

So, what I'm thinking is that perhaps starting a set of 4 x LiFePO4 cells at just the right charge voltage would provide a very flat output as compared to using IMRs...almost like it's regulated to ~12.4v! Could it live if done carefully? What do you think?
    Last edited by Colonel Sanders; 08-29-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Now, more FM1909 custom bulbs are available here.

Flashaholic*

FM - you are absolutely great!

My 1909 bulbs arrived today. I've got just the light to put them in! Thanks! I have 2 of your bulbs in other lights. I know the joy!

Super Moderator

Very good to hear these are available again - payment sent!
    Resistance is futile...

I put one of these bulbs on the bench on a power supply and I should have worn sunglasses! Very bright and very white. Now I just need to assemble a suitable host and power supply for it.
    Tiefer, tiefer, irgendwo in der Tiefe gibt es ein Licht

Flashaholic*

Tri-bored MagD host from your favourite mod'er (unless you have the wherewithal to do that yourself - no lathe for me I'm afraid), AW incan driver, FM1909, FM battery holder, FM bi-focal reflector or deep reflector as per your personal taste (still not decided between these personaly), and 17650 IMRs from www.bestinone.net That's what I am currently using the FM1909 in.

Considering an FM 3S 18650 MegalenniumB as an alternative for higher capacity cells and hence longer run times.

As of January 5, 2012 their are nine of us. Come on guys, you need the brilliant white light the 1909 brings. Get those shelf queens off of the shelf and buy some new 1909 bulbs for them. You will be pleased. Your friends will be astounded!

Flashaholic*

Yep, as one of the people who pushed for this new batch of bulbs, I feel rather guilty that few of the people who expressed an interest in them appear to have purchased them. I had hoped that wonderlite's concerns would be unfounded, but his prediction of the outcome has become all too true.

I'll probably get a third pack myself later on, but I'd really like to see some more sold in the mean time, just to reward FM for his efforts on our behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Wallace View Post
    Yep, as one of the people who pushed for this new batch of bulbs, I feel rather guilty that few of the people who expressed an interest in them appear to have purchased them. I had hoped that wonderlite's concerns would be unfounded, but his prediction of the outcome has become all too true.

I'll probably get a third pack myself later on, but I'd really like to see some more sold in the mean time, just to reward FM for his efforts on our behalf.
    Stephen Wallace;
    Yes, I am undaunted. Come and get the 1794 kings off the shelf, too, so the 1794 kings and 1909 queens can have a party LOL

I'm running the 1909 in a 4D Mag using 5xIMR26500. The bulb is regulated at 11.8V by a JimmyM JM-PHD-D1 voltage regulator. Reflector is FM's 2.5" Throwmaster. IMO, a regulator is the way to go. Unfortunately, the JM-PHD-D1 is sold out and you'll have to wait for JimmyM to come out with Version 2.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    As of January 5, 2012 their are nine of us. Come on guys, you need the brilliant white light the 1909 brings. Get those shelf queens off of the shelf and buy some new 1909 bulbs for them. You will be pleased. Your friends will be astounded!
    Correct - nine of us so far, who have bought 13 packs (= 52 bulbs) between us.

There were many more posters here who said they wanted them and have not so far followed up on that.

Come on, guys!
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic

are these still available?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12