FM1909 replacement?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
As some of you may be aware, FM is all out of FM1909 bulbs and currently has no intention to commission another batch of these (not enough call for them - shame).

I just wondered if anyone was aware of any bulbs with similar characteristics? I've had a look at the destructive bulb tests, but there isn't anything in those tests that's quite in the same category.

Basically looking for something with a G4 bi-pin; brighter and higher wattage than a WA1185 (closest item I can identify, but the FM1909 is said to have a 50% higher lumen rating, given a high enough current); able to handle higher current than the WA1185 (OK, higher wattage covers that really); operating voltage lower than 12v, but able to run at at least 12.6V (so the bulb is overdriven).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Stephen

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many people including myself tested different 6 volt bulb using 3 IMRs but result was instaflash.

Closest choice is
Hikari 5033 with 5 protected 18650 and soft start which will have similar brightness but in larger/heavier flashlight.
Some people may ask "why not 5 IMRs" ??
The answer is depends on total resistance of your host.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
FM,

Many thanks for your response.

So as I have found so far, nothing common out there that will match the 1909 with only three IMRs behind it? :( Damn.

hoongern

Enlightened
I've been keeping the Hikari JC-5607 6V bulb as spares for my 1909 (Mentioned in quite a few different pages) - but as fivemega has mentioned, and as I can attest to - it can result in instaflash, especially if your host is low resistance. I blew 2 of them with my cells @ 4.16V. However, since I have a hobby charger, I fast charge up my IMR 26500s to 4.1V (1.4A charge, terminate at 0.3A), so it doesn't poof [so far, with my little amount of testing].

Of course, I still feel much safer using the 1909. I'm scared of the day it finally goes poof!

Nokoff

Enlightened
I did a Poor Man's 1909 build using the Hikari bulb, very similar bulbs. Someone had posted once running three IMR with no soft start in a 2D with the Hikari, though I'd say those bulbs vary in quality more than the fm. I use an AW soft start and have no concerns running 3x26650. At 1.20 each I wouldn't worry anyway.

fyi the skirt on the Hikari is wider than the fm. I trim mine to fit in my fm bi focal reflector, and I love the beam and throw combo I get from it.

Nokoff

Enlightened
a cold filament has the least resistance, therefore the draw on startup much exceeds that of once the filament is warm ..that's what blows bulbs, the cold "surge." Soft starting limits the draw during those first few crucial milliseconds. I'm paraphrasing from what Andrew (AW) had taught me, so I hope that is a good abbreviated explanation.

I'm not using IMR right now, though I plan to get some to run in my Poor Man's 1909. They should work great, and give more current and brightness than li-ion like I'm using now.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"As some of you may be aware, FM is all out of FM1909 bulbs and currently has no intention to commission another batch of these (not enough call for them - shame)."

OH NO! SAY IT AIN'T SO!!! :shakehead

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and FiveMega, if you change your mind, put me down for a dozen. :)

If I change my mind or if you incand people change your mind?
I just don't see enough interest for custom made bulb and can't afford to stock them forever.
Minimum quantity of custom made bulb is 100 units and I doubt there are even 8 real incand guy left.

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
a cold filament has the least resistance, therefore the draw on startup much exceeds that of once the filament is warm ..that's what blows bulbs, the cold "surge." Soft starting limits the draw during those first few crucial milliseconds.

Yep, I fully agree with you as to the function of the soft start and how it helps, but thought with basically double the voltage - not to mention potentially higher wattage if IMRs are used - that using the JC-5067 might be asking a bit much even with the soft start.

hoongern

Enlightened
Yep, I fully agree with you as to the function of the soft start and how it helps, but thought with basically double the voltage - not to mention potentially higher wattage if IMRs are used - that using the JC-5067 might be asking a bit much even with the soft start.

The great thing about the JC-5067 is that it's really cheap, so you can experiment around and see if it works. Are you using the stock tailspring? If you are, you might be fine since it has higher resistance than say, a copper tailcap mod. Otherwise, just use your bulb on a medium level for a minute or so to drain off the extra voltage, perhaps?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Possibly worth opening another feeler thread to see if there is enough interest to make the manufacture of another batch of 100 viable?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
fm - would you be willing to commission another batch if there were enough interest raised in a one off purchase? A group buy as it were?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I just don't see enough interest for custom made bulb and can't afford to stock them forever.
Minimum quantity of custom made bulb is 100 units and I dough there are even 8 real incand guy left.

I dough, you dough, playdoh!

There are many real incan guys/gals.

We have formed an exclusive and secret organization to weed out the infidels. As such, whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing it's no secret as to who's the ring leader of our secret incan society!

(Lux, you are my hero.) :thumbsup:

Long live the FM1909!!!:rock:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Minimum quantity of custom made bulb is 100 units and I dough there are even 8 real incand guy left.

I'd like to buy some, maybe 4 to 6 bulbs. I've got 3 Mag 2D ROPs I like and a 4th with an AW soft start switch that I really don't find all that great with the bulb I'm using - I'd like to convert it to a 3D and put a 1909 bulb in and run it from 3 x 32650 LiCo cells. I have the cells and the soft start switch and everything else except a good bulb - not that expensive to turn a 'meh' light into a 'WOW' light even using dearer bulbs.

I only need 1 bulb, but if these have to be ordered by a minimum of 100 bulbs then I'll happily buy a bulb and a few spares in one go.