Dimmable line voltage LED driver for UCL project

bwilli

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone come across a line voltage in, dimmable driver for LED's that's suitable for use in an under cabinet lighting setup? I was looking at this driver as a candidate to drive a series of 8 Cree XPE or XPG elements. I have some neutral white XPE's on hand but for this I may want to use high CRI LEDs although those little buggers are pricey!

My current plan is to have the drivers (one for each 8 LED fixture) wired in parallel at 120VAC from a single wall mounted TRIAC dimmer (at least I think it is a TRIAC). Each 8 LED fixture would have the LED's spaced at about 3" with an elliptical lens (16.3 x 43.3 deg) mounted to it. The lens would be oriented such that the long dimension of the hotspot would cover the counter top from front to back. The side to side coverage should allow for overlap of the hotspots with the adjacent beams. I was planning to use AA to stick the LEDs to a 1.5" Al bar and use some spacers behind the bar so that it isn't smack up against the bottom of the cabinet.

Thoughts? If not, I'll just slam a sample together and post a follow up.

Thanks!

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
this recent thread discussed triac dimmed current drivers, and mentioned this example.

Digi-key's search function is a little hard to use, but you can search for led current drivers to get here, and selecting "100 ~ 240vac" option and "apply filter" will bring up a selection. The ones that say "dimmable" are probably the ones to look at.

Just searching Digi-key for "dimmable led current driver" pulls up a good selection too.

edit: Future Electronics also offers a large selection of drivers.

good luck,

Steve K.

Last edited:

bwilli

Newly Enlightened
Wow.

1) you guys ROCK :rock:
2) you are FAST

I'll string something together (when my SO lets me) and post the prototype.

Thanks!