6V Halogen spotlight wont light

CCarr1945

Newly Enlightened
My 6V spotlight quit. Thought it was the bulb so I ordered a new bulb. Still wont light. Battery has 6V. I get 6V to the bulb when I squeeze the trigger. I've tested the circuit to the limit of my ability. Does the bulb need more than what the battery can provide to start up? The battery is a couple of years old but still charges up to 6V.
Bulb is 6V, 55W.

gearhead1972

Newly Enlightened
Wire the bulb directly to the battery. Just touch the + to the battery. This will eliminate the bulb and battery as faulty, then you can look into the wiring and the switch.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My 6V spotlight quit. Thought it was the bulb so I ordered a new bulb. Still wont light. Battery has 6V. I get 6V to the bulb when I squeeze the trigger. I've tested the circuit to the limit of my ability. Does the bulb need more than what the battery can provide to start up? The battery is a couple of years old but still charges up to 6V.
Bulb is 6V, 55W.

1)Lead acid batteries can test right but need a proper load on them as one bad (weak) cell can prevent them from working right.
2)halogen 6v and 12v bulbs look alike unless it is marked it is possible you could have a 12v bulb by mistake
3)if your meter has an ohms scale you can test the bulb on the low range it should show up as low ohm resistor. If you get nothing the bulb could be broken or burnt out.