Rechargable Li-Ion Flashlight allowed on person on Airplane Flight?

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search on both AIRPLANE and FLIGHT and saw nothing newer than 2007, soI thought I would ask the question again.

I am traveling inside the US next week, and I wanted to carry on my Jetbeam RRT-0 and leather belt holster, and possibly a few spare batteries, all either on my person, or in my carry on luggage.

Is this allowed?

Anyone have any problems traveling with a EDC sized light on your personon a plane?

Thanks, and please point out a recent thread if I missed it.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
I went through TSA in both Birmingham, AL and Denver airports last September with a Quark AA Tactical with 14500 and a Mini123 with CR123 on my person as well as a Maxpedition Versipack carry-on with 2 L91s and 2 CR123s in carriers. Didn't have any problems.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I found part of my answer here:
http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_main.html

Also, I read some good advice in another thread. Use duracell or another name brand R123a battery, so that the screeners will see something that they recognize instead of a rechargable battery that looks like it might be home made.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
:ohgeez:Probably. I wear my photovest with a dozen pockets that contain lenses, camera batteries an emergency kit wrapped in denim with a magnesium block, matches and tinder, a small spray bottle of lens fluid and a mini-NRA lockback knife among things plus my camera bag full of gear and a few times my multitool is in there. Flew last in 2110.

Only had problems once because some TSA douch decided to confiscate my new bottle of 'Old Fart' hot sauce I bought for my dad on the way to the airport returning to San Antonio from AZ.

I always pack several firearms and check them in and only had probs once with loose ammo in a padlocked case for my pocket .22mag and one case where a TSA agent looked down the barrel of my empty and locked .45 and asked "Is this loaded?". :ohgeez:

So I would say 'Likely be ok' problem is there is always the chance of meeting some jackwagon who is going to do everything they can to mess up your day.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Here are two earlier threads:

Ever been hastled by airport security for your carry-on lights/batteries?
Flashlight with Carry-On Luggage during Air Travel?

There are plenty more. Searches using keywords such as airport, airline, carry-on (etc.) will give you others.

With the CPF Advanced Search, it's often better to specify "Search Thread Titles Only".

DM51. those threads are three year old for replies-lot has changed. Definitely something we need to have updated on occaision just for safety.

Is this board a VBulletin-based? Reason I ask is the board I admin has been for some time and the search feature is horrible. Want to look into something better and this place seems pretty stable tho I'm not sure about the search feature.

ETA-nevermind. It's atthe bottom of the page. Bv for sure. :sigh:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
:ohgeez:Probably. I wear my photovest with a dozen pockets that contain lenses, camera batteries an emergency kit wrapped in denim with a magnesium block, matches and tinder, a small spray bottle of lens fluid and a mini-NRA lockback knife among things plus my camera bag full of gear and a few times my multitool is in there. Flew last in 2110.

So what are you, some kind of... time traveler? :D Anyway, that's really brave taking any kind of knife on a plane. You must be white, connected, and extremely inconspicuous looking. The last time I flew they just about gave me an anal probe!

DM51

Flashaholic
DM51. those threads are three year old for replies-lot has changed. Definitely something we need to have updated on occaision just for safety.
Yes, I agree, but actually I don't think anything too dramatic has changed. There's probably less variation in the regulations affecting flashlights than the difference you'll experience with a sensible security officer vs. a bloody-minded one.

However, the reason I didn't close this thread was because I don't think there's another one that's particularly current - those two are relatively old, but they've had quite a few replies. It's probably not a bad thing to have a new thread on this topic every now and then, as regulations DO change.

Is this board a VBulletin-based? Reason I ask is the board I admin has been for some time and the search feature is horrible. Want to look into something better and this place seems pretty stable tho I'm not sure about the search feature.

ETA-nevermind. It's atthe bottom of the page. Bv for sure. :sigh:
Yes, vBulletin, as you've now seen. It was updated last year to version 4.1.2, which includes some very useful new features for staff members.

Re your query on the search: I personally prefer the vB CPF Advanced Search to the Google one, but that's just me. I'm used to it, and I know how to make it work. The Google one, if you use the option to limit the search to CPF, works pretty well too.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would never carry either a lithium primary or a rechargeable lithium on an airplane with hundreds of innocent passangers. Of course the risk is very very small that the battery would malfunction 30,000 ft in the air, but it's still a risk I wouldn't be willing to take, and I'm sure the other passangers would appericate knowing it.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
I would never carry either a lithium primary or a rechargeable lithium on an airplane with hundreds of innocent passangers. Of course the risk is very very small that the battery would malfunction 30,000 ft in the air, but it's still a risk I wouldn't be willing to take, and I'm sure the other passangers would appericate knowing it.

Yet many of those other passengers will happily carry on laptops, mobile phones, and music players, containing... rechargeable lithium batteries!

Glock27

Enlightened
I had no problems carrying a Jetbeam III-Mw to Germany and back last summer in a belt holster. I had harvested laptop cells both in the light and a spare in my pocket.
I have to laugh at someone worried about the risk......lots of laptops, cellphones, dvd players, etc with lots of li-Ion and Li-Poly cells. If you're worried about loose 18650's, perhaps you should drive...

G27

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys make some good points about lithium batteries in everyday devices, however whats the reason for certain laws regarding lithium batteries not being allowed on certain aircraft?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it passes the security checkpoint, there's no reason you can't have it on your person when you board. I carried my Pelican 7060 on my belt with me because I didn't want to check it or stuff it in my laptop bag, and the X-ray operator took it out for inspection. After figuring out that it's just a flashlight, he put it back in the bin and I went on my way.

My recommendation would be to not carry any unbranded lights. If they take it out for inspection, they'll see a name brand or LED Flashlight written on it somewhere and won't have an issue with it.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, how about this. The guy next to you has a Surefire M6 with HOLA and 6 loaded cheap chinese ebay special CR123's loaded inside his carry on bag. Is carrying a flashlight on an airplane harmless then?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I travelled from Malaysia to San Francisco via Singapore and Hong Kong with my PD-S with spare batts without any issues using Singapore Airlines. Obviously the security did check for function as before it was allowed to board. Anyway the duty free shops do sell all kinds of stuff. So if they can sell them at the boarding lounges, then it should be allowed to travel with you.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried my HDS 170T from Nashville to Palm Beach loaded with CR123 in my pocket putting it through the X-Ray and none of the TSA agents even looked twice at it at either airport.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
So what are you, some kind of... time traveler? :D Anyway, that's really brave taking any kind of knife on a plane. You must be white, connected, and extremely inconspicuous looking. The last time I flew they just about gave me an anal probe!

Time traveler? I wish. I'd go back to the 80's and invest in Microsnot-heavilly then invest in Google and Yahoo among other things tho knowing my luck I'd step on a butterfly. :D

I am definitely not inconspicious in-general. I've been told I look like the kind of person that wants to eat you alive. But-I am also an actor or chameleon. Have been for years so I can blend in with any group from extremely wealthy to the intellects to the ditch diggers and rednecks or street people. One learns that from years of traveling and moving around. ;) So I can go from looking like I want to kill you to looking like a harmless simpleton who is crippled up and it sets the security peope at ease.

DM-we do not have the Google search on my board so I found that to be interesting.

The whole Lion debate...I do not see the issue. I have never heard of one going off like a grenade and even if so, that kind of force would be unlikely to bring a plane down anyway. People watch too many movies where someone pops open the door and the plane crashes or shoots a hole in the side so a whole section of seats goes ~poof~ along with most of the plane causing a crash. Those scenarios are unlikely versus the plane simply coming apart in-flight due to metal fatigue I would not even worry about it.

Satanta

Newly Enlightened
Oh and if your light has an agressive bezel simply take it off and put it on your keyring until done with security/flight and remount it later.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably not a bad thing to have a new thread on this topic every now and then, as regulations DO change.

The Link about lithium batteries on the third post from safetravel.dot.gov went into effect Jan 2008.