Imalent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

Default Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

I just got this today
    http://www.amazon.com/Orbtronic-Prot...295937&sr=8-11

The batteries are button top and are supposedly made in the USA. They are protected and are rated at 2800 mAh.

The charger comes with a home and car charger and the batteries come with a storage case.
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._AA1500_.jpg
    Last edited by Norm; 10-22-2012 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Oversize image

Default Re: Orbtronic 18650 batteries and charger

Man, those really look nice! And the charger looks really nice as well. I'll be anxious to see how they perform, and how well the charger does. Please let us know after you've used them a while.
    Jeff

Batteries looks like this:

I got this discharge curve from them:

In my 18650 roundup, but I bought them from DX.
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Nevermind
    Last edited by bullinchinashop; 07-22-2011 at 05:54 AM.

The Orbtronic (SoShine) charger is advertised as a "rapid charger" but this thing is still taking forever.
    I plugged in the charger at about 7pm last night and unplugged it at about 9pm. I plugged it in again at about 4:30am and it's now 6am and the lights are still red.

Many LiIon chargers are slow, i.e. it can take 5 to 9 hours to charge from empty batteries. You can see a test of some chargers on my website (But not the Soshine).
    My website with flashlight, battery and charger information: lygte-info.
    More than 200 battery reviews and 80 charger reviews.
    Compare 18650 LiIon batteries or smaller (RCR123, 16340, 14500, 10450) LiIon batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by HKJ View Post
    Many LiIon chargers are slow, i.e. it can take 5 to 9 hours to charge from empty batteries. You can see a test of some chargers on my website (But not the Soshine).
    Thanks for the info. This is my first experience with any kind of rechargeable batteries of any kind so I didn't know what to expect.

About 7:20am one channel starting blinking green and the other channel started blinking green about 7 minutes later. The lights flashing green means the battery is between 80% - 90% charged

"Specification:

Input:: 12V DC 1200mA (min)
    Output: 4.2VDC 1000mA*1 1000mA *2

2 Individual LED indicate:
    Light off = Stand by /
    Red on = Battery Charging /
    Flashing Green = 80-90% complete /
    Green on = Charge complete /
    Flashing Red = Battery error

• Light off = Stand by
    • Red on = Battery Charging
    • Flashing Green = 80-90% complete
    • Green on = Charge complete
    • Flashing Red = Battery error

Feature

- End-of-charge voltage detection assures the safe and full charge any time

- Short-circuit protection

- Over voltage cut-off protection ----- prevents damage to your battery due to over voltage

- Complete individual channels ------ convenience; prevent 2 batteries charge each other

- Charge Method: CC/CV -------------- Charge battery fully and quickly

- Reverse polarity protection --------- prevent damage to your battery and charger

Package content:

1x Quick li-ion 18650 charger
    2x 18650 protected lithium-ion rechargeable batteries
    1x 110V/220V AC adapter
    1x 12V car (cigarette lighter) adapter"

At about 7:58am the light on second channel was solid green so we're looking at a total charge time of about 6 hours
    Last edited by bullinchinashop; 07-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.

Enlightened

SOSHINE is NOT a USA brand and definitely not made in USA. You've been scammed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat View Post
    SOSHINE is NOT a USA brand and definitely not made in USA. You've been scammed.
    Oh great
    Thanks for the heads-up. Are these Chinese cells?
    The batteries & charger seem to be working fine so far (Crosses fingers)
    I will be getting AW next - No one seems to have anything negative to say about those batteries.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by bullinchinashop View Post
    Oh great
    Thanks for the heads-up. Are these Chinese cells?
    The batteries & charger seem to be working fine so far (Crosses fingers)
    I will be getting AW next - No one seems to have anything negative to say about those batteries.
    Soshine's quality is like ultrafire, maybe a little better.

ofcoz anyone can open a shelf company overseas and claims they are from wherever they are.
    Last edited by Bat; 07-22-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Enlightened

SANYO UR18650ZT 18650
    2800 mAh typical, 2700 mAh min

http://battery.sanyo.com/product/lit.../UR18650ZT.pdf

SANYO UR18650ZTA 18650
    3000 mAh typical, 2900 mAh min

http://battery.sanyo.com/product/lit...UR18650ZTA.pdf

They're Chinese cells. I just looked more closely at on of them and it says on the wrapper "made in China".

Enlightened

They're Chinese cells. I just looked more closely at on of them and it says on the wrapper "made in China".
    maybe the actual capacity is 1700mAh
    all those reviews on Dealxxtrxmx are either fake or manipulated.....

or "2800mAh" is just the model number
    Last edited by Bat; 07-22-2011 at 09:20 AM.

maybe the actual capacity is 1700mAh

or "2800mAh" is just the model number
    I got these from orbtronic.com through Amazon
    I've seen so many horror stories about Deal Extreme I never ordered from them.

I got these from orbtronic.com through Amazon
    I believe they're the same cells anyway though.

Flashaholic*

I doubt that, I've seen plenty of negative reviews and none of my reviews have been manipulated.

I've placed 20 orders through DX, not one has failed to arrive and I have always received the products that I ordered. I did once receive a lighter that had a faulty piezo electric unit (no click or spark), when I contacted DX they sent out a replacement at no cost and I didn't even have to send back the faulty product.

Check the reviews on what is a good product for the price:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfi...s-2-pack-20392
    Compare to reviews on rubbish products:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...s-2-pack-26249
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...ery-pack-51988
    Notice the negative reviews, enough to discourage me from buying the products.
    I have bought what DX claim to be genuine brand name products and they certainly seem to be genuine. I have bought really cheap stuff that is as cheaply made as you would expect. I've pretty much got what I expected from almost everything I have bought from them - the reviews and product forums help a lot with that.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I doubt that, I've seen plenty of negative reviews and none of my reviews have been manipulated.

I've placed 20 orders through DX, not one has failed to arrive and I have always received the products that I ordered. I did once receive a lighter that had a faulty piezo electric unit (no click or spark), when I contacted DX they sent out a replacement at no cost and I didn't even have to send back the faulty product.

Check the reviews on what is a good product for the price:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/trustfi...s-2-pack-20392
    Compare to reviews on rubbish products:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...s-2-pack-26249
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...ery-pack-51988
    Notice the negative reviews, enough to discourage me from buying the products.
    I have bought what DX claim to be genuine brand name products and they certainly seem to be genuine. I have bought really cheap stuff that is as cheaply made as you would expect. I've pretty much got what I expected from almost everything I have bought from them - the reviews and product forums help a lot with that.
    1. they delete negative reviews / won't publish it at all, & users have incentive to publish glowing positive reviews
    2. they send you FAKE refund emails & i need to contact PayPal directly to get my money back.

Enlightened

FAKE refund i received quite recently:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Real refund directly from Paypal after winning Paypal claim (Reason: FAKE refund email):

they are not even a REAL Hong Kong company to begin with. Just bunch of guys from China (Shenzhen, maybe?) who happen to post their goods via Hongkong Post through those posting agents in China
    Last edited by Bat; 07-22-2011 at 06:45 PM.

Enlightened

real Hong Kong numbers begin with the country code "852". "86" is China.

the Hong Kong address they claim to be from actually belongs to this logistics company if u dig deep enough
    http://www.hotfrog.hk/Companies/Esse-Express-Worldwide

深政源國際速遞有限公司
    九龍紅磡民樂街21號富高工業中心B座2樓25-26室
    Last edited by Bat; 07-22-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Flashaholic*

1. they delete negative reviews / won't publish it at all, & users have incentive to publish glowing positive reviews
    2. they send you FAKE refund emails & i need to contact PayPal directly to get my money back.
    Well, I've seen negative reviews from over a year ago, they certainly can't be deleting ALL negative reviews. I've also read plenty of posts in the product forums that suggest a product is junk and should be avoided - those don't seem to get deleted either.

I can't comment on the refund issue, I've never tried to get a refund from them.

I have no idea of whether they are truly HK based, but it certainly is possible that they have an office in China and that their phone support all comes from the China office/call center.

All I really know for sure is that I have had zero problems over 20 orders and based on my own personal experience I am happy to keep dealing with DX.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    Well, I've seen negative reviews from over a year ago, they certainly can't be deleting ALL negative reviews. I've also read plenty of posts in the product forums that suggest a product is junk and should be avoided - those don't seem to get deleted either.

I can't comment on the refund issue, I've never tried to get a refund from them.

I have no idea of whether they are truly HK based, but it certainly is possible that they have an office in China and that their phone support all comes from the China office/call center.

All I really know for sure is that I have had zero problems over 20 orders and based on my own personal experience I am happy to keep dealing with DX.
    they pretend to be HK based, but i'm certain they are not.

also:
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    http://www.google.com/search?q=deale...w=1247&bih=886
    Last edited by Bat; 07-22-2011 at 07:28 PM.

You can get stuff sent through HK Post, SIngapore Post, Swiss Post, China Post and probably a few others, from shanghai and hongkong atleast.

Flashaholic

1. Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.

1. ALL 18650 batteries are made in Asia , and there is no single word saying that these particular batteries are assembled in USA.
    2. Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
    3. No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
    4. There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
    5. Another disinformation is that DX is deleting negative feedbacks about products that they sell. That is NOT true. The only bad thing about DX is that your order can take up to two months to arrive. That is true.
    6. AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)

Quote Originally Posted by space-cowboy View Post
    1. Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.

1. ALL 18650 batteries are made in Asia , and there is no single word saying that these particular batteries are assembled in USA.
      I was going by what one of the bone-headed reviewers on Amazon had posted not information from Orbtronic
    2. Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
      Charger works fine so far.
    3. No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
      Batteries work great too
    4. There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
      I really love the charger. I'm glad I got it.
    5. Another disinformation is that DX is deleting negative feedbacks about products that they sell. That is NOT true. The only bad thing about DX is that your order can take up to two months to arrive. That is true.
      I've never ordered from them so I can't comment.
    6. AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)
      That's only the two higher capacity batteries.The 2200mAh cells have button tops

Welcome to CPF, space-cowboy!

Quote Originally Posted by space-cowboy View Post
    Orbtronic is US based company. Post mentioning word scam is quite disturbing.
    I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure which is worse, potentially misleading advertising, or a "U.S. based company" that appears to be nothing more than yet another "storefront" based in the U.S. which specializes in the distribution of imported Chinese goods. There's really nothing wrong with that, providing it is made clear to the customer where these products actually originate from. It may actually be a good thing, as far as customer service etc.

Looking over Orbtronic's various offerings, I really didn't see anything that did not appear to be imported from China. Many of their products are similar to DX's and other Asian vendors, such as many UltraFire products.

Soshine batteries/charger will soon be under Orbtronic name. Quality control is under supervision of Orbtronic.
    This may be a good thing. Tenergy for example, another U.S. based storefront for a Chinese company, has some fairly decent products, although they have some that fall quite short, as well.

No doubt that these are excellent batteries - read/see tests made by some quite established CPF members. Cells are made by Sanyo, and IC in protection circuit is the same as in AW 18650 batteries.
    I don't recall any stellar performance reports from anyone testing Soshine cells. I'd say "fair" would be a better description. Distributors such as the various xxxxxFire brands sometimes use Sanyo cells, as well. The question is, where do they obtain these cells from? Most are "second tier" cells bought up as surplus. That doesn't mean they are necessarily bad, but often are not top quality due to age, the specific reason they were rejected for battery pack production, and so on. The "best" cells, for the most part, go into battery packs and are not sold off as surplus.

There is not any better 18650 battery charger that can be found at this price range- period.
    I'll just have to disagree here. The fundamental quality of a Li-Ion charger, is that it properly charge cells. To my knowledge, none of the Soshine chargers do so. Also, for those that insist on buying a faulty charger, there are many other options that are cheaper. Considering this, in my opinion, all of Soshine's Li-Ion chargers are overpriced.

AW batteries are OK , but overpriced (not to mention design flaw of not having button-top welded to positive side)The lack of a positive nipple is not a "design flaw".
    As for the cost of cells, top tier cells cost more than second tier cells. This is usually reflected in the distributor's pricing of their cells.

Also, Li-Ion cells are not manufactured to be used individually by consumers. They are manufactured for the making of battery packs for use in consumer devices such as laptop computers, and are not intended to be used in devices such as flashlights/torches.

A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often, along with an added protection circuit, as well. Hopefully, these features can be done properly, although it would appear that Soshine has had a bit of trouble with this process.

I will say that I do not own any Li-Ion powered lights that require cells with a positive nipple. A few times I have had to remove the nipple so the cell(s) will fit into a light, due to the extra length added by this option. I view the need for a positive nipple on Li-Ion cells as a design flaw in the light, not the cell.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    Welcome to CPF, space-cowboy!

I agree to some extent, but I'm not sure which is worse, potentially misleading advertising, or a "U.S. based company" that appears to be nothing more than yet another "storefront" based in the U.S. which specializes in the distribution of imported Chinese goods. There's really nothing wrong with that, providing it is made clear to the customer where these products actually originate from. It may actually be a good thing, as far as customer service etc.
    Orbtronic never claimed that the cells or charger were made in the USA that was just what somebody posted on Amazon in his review. I read that & ran with it without doing any of my own research. What's most important to me is whether or not Orbtronic will stand behind these cells - As long as the batteries are good quality I couldn't care less where they came from.

Looking over Orbtronic's various offerings, I really didn't see anything that did not appear to be imported from China. Many of their products are similar to DX's and other Asian vendors, such as many UltraFire products.

This may be a good thing. Tenergy for example, another U.S. based storefront for a Chinese company, has some fairly decent products, although they have some that fall quite short, as well.

I don't recall any stellar performance reports from anyone testing Soshine cells. I'd say "fair" would be a better description. Distributors such as the various xxxxxFire brands sometimes use Sanyo cells, as well. The question is, where do they obtain these cells from? Most are "second tier" cells bought up as surplus. That doesn't mean they are necessarily bad, but often are not top quality due to age, the specific reason they were rejected for battery pack production, and so on. The "best" cells, for the most part, go into battery packs and are not sold off as surplus.

I'll just have to disagree here. The fundamental quality of a Li-Ion charger, is that it properly charge cells. To my knowledge, none of the Soshine chargers do so. Also, for those that insist on buying a faulty charger, there are many other options that are cheaper. Considering this, in my opinion, all of Soshine's Li-Ion chargers are overpriced.
    What should I be looking for? You are basically saying that the SoShine charger sucks but you aren't giving any details. Does it not shut off when the cells are charged? does it undercharge?Overcharge? I'm almost definitely going to get the Pila charge but I'd like to know what kiind of problems to expect from this one while I have it.
    As for the cost of cells, top tier cells cost more than second tier cells. This is usually reflected in the distributor's pricing of their cells.

Also, Li-Ion cells are not manufactured to be used individually by consumers. They are manufactured for the making of battery packs for use in consumer devices such as laptop computers, and are not intended to be used in devices such as flashlights/torches.

A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often, along with an added protection circuit, as well. Hopefully, these features can be done properly, although it would appear that Soshine has had a bit of trouble with this process.
    I pushed on the nipples of both of my SoShine (Orbtronic) batteries and neither one moved at all. That post is from 2009...Hopefully they have improved since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
    So the new Soshine 2800mA protected cell has gone through the tests.

I will say that I do not own any Li-Ion powered lights that require cells with a positive nipple. A few times I have had to remove the nipple so the cell(s) will fit into a light, due to the extra length added by this option. I view the need for a positive nipple on Li-Ion cells as a design flaw in the light, not the cell.

Dave

Enlightened

Misleading advertising at the very minimum, already a falsified advertising in some countries.

Someone from Orbtronic here should take note about it.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
    A positive nipple is an option that can be added by cell distributors often
    I read space-cowboy's post and thought 'design flaw' no that isn't accurate - a lack of a positive nipple on the 2600mAh cells is a 'design limitation', there is nothing 'flawed' about it.
    Because of this limitation I'm using my AW 2200mAh cells in my Jetbeam Jet-IIIM and using my AW 2600mAh cells in my Olight M20, Zebralight H60w and a couple of other lights that work fine with a cell that doesn't have a positive nipple. It seems that one out of my 5 18650 lights needs the positive nipple and the other 4 don't.
    Last edited by KiwiMark; 07-25-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Flashaholic*

I've got a a few of the soshine 2800mah cells. In my test they give around 2400mah. I got these batteries as 'new' but I have a feeling that the battery inside may be a little old. After charging up, they drop to 4.12-4.13V when rested for a little while. That is a significant drop from 4.19-4.20V
    A blog on small pocket tools, keychain gadgets and more!

http://keychainpockets.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast