EDC multitool recommendations

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
My EDC is evolving and I'm generally carrying a SAK and small flashlight in a belt pouch, with an auxiliary kit (fanny pack) that either slips into a briefcase or holdall or travels alone with me depending on circumstances. In that I'll carry things like first aid, spare batteries, sunglasses, my Maelstrom S12 etc, as well as a multi-tool.

I currently own a Victorinox Swisstool and a Spirit, which are lovely tools but a little heavy for EDC, so I'm thinking a new, lighter-weight, mid-size multi-tool might be the go.

I don't need a corkscrew or scissors, but a decent blade or two, preferably one-hand-opening, and a better Phillips-head and prybar than the regular SAK would be good. I don't like separate 'bits' so the Phillips-head should be built-in. Larger is better than smaller but weight is a consideration.

A quick look at Leatherman's site suggests that I can either have the OHO blade (Freestyle) or the built-in Phillips (Juice S2) but not both (in which case the blade wins as I already have a Phillips in the SAK). I haven't looked anywhere else yet, but I thought I'd canvas for suggestions in the hope that someone here can steer me towards some likely candidates.

Any thoughts?

Getahl

Newly Enlightened
You can check out the Skeletool, which is OHO blade, pliers, built in carabiner, pocket clip, and removable philips/slotted bit that attaches to the end. It looks very much like the freestyle, and comes in two flavors: 154CM PE blade or serrated 420C (I think, whatever their standard blade steel is) blade.

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Getahl, I had managed to miss the Skeletool when I jumped to the 'pocket' tools.

It looks perfect for my needs.

Getahl

Newly Enlightened
You're very welcome. The skele is on the full-sized tool page, I think. It's the same size as the Freestyle, but I guess they wanted to differentiate them or something.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've EDC'ed a skeletool for over a year now. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
You're very welcome. The skele is on the full-sized tool page, I think. It's the same size as the Freestyle, but I guess they wanted to differentiate them or something.

The Skeletool is a bit bigger as it has the caribiner/bottle opener extension on the main body, as well as the screwdriver which the Freestyle lacks. The pliers and blade are the same size though.

I've just ordered one. I'm not entirely sure how I'll use it yet, but the price was excellent and if I don't get one I'll always wonder. It will probably make a really good backup to keep in the bag - not too much dead weight to tote around, but useful full-size tools that will get the job done when the SAK isn't up to it.

However, I'm now seriously considering swapping the SAK on my belt for a good pliers-based MT. I used to carry a LM Supertool or Vicnox Swisstool on my belt when I worked in events, and never found it to be a problem - in fact I'd rather carry a heavy tool on my belt than in a bag. As much as I love my Victorinox tools though I really fancy a decent OHO blade.

But then if I'm belt-carrying a MT, why stop at the Skeletool? The Charge has a bigger, badder version of everything my SAK has (except magnifying glass and corkscrew, both of which I can live without).

Damn this is hard...

And expensive... :D

Last edited:

stockae92

Enlightened
I have both Skeletool and Charge. I would only pocket carry the Skeletool, and belt carry or "bag carry" the Charge.

The Charge is really nice, it has everything that I want. The tiny screwdriver is surprisingly useful

With the Skeletool, I really haven't pocket carry a folder for a while already :)

rappy700r

Newly Enlightened
skeletool is very nice, that would be my recommendation. amazon had it for 35 bucks yesterday not sure if its still that price.

gsr

Enlightened
I have used a Leatherman Charge TTi for EDC for several years, and it is the best tool I've found. The sheath it comes with holds the extra screwdriver bits, and has side sleeves that I use to carry a 1AAA light (a Leatherman Serac S2, in my case) and a Fisher Space pen. While I usually have other blades and lights on me, its nice to be able to go down to one thing on my belt, and still have my bases covered.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My favorite is the Charge, but it's really just a more refined Wave, which itself was an improvement on the original Leatherman. They all serve well and I'll always be carrying one, especially the Charge with it's accompanying bits and extender, all which fit inside the carrying case.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep !

I have a Leatherman Charge AL, which (as stated above) is basically the Wave model,
with more comfortable handles, and . . . .

(very important) a Much Better Grade of Steel used for the Knife Blade !

Mine is CM154 steel -- stated to be about 3 times as "Superior" compared to the standard steel knife blade.

Note: only the main knife blade has this improved steel. NOT the serrated blade ! :-(

DisrupTer911

Enlightened
I've been EDCing a Leatherman Skeletool CX since it was released, so I'd say 4 years now.
I absolutely won't leave my house w/o it.

I've got 3 of them for various reasons of losing it purchasing a new and finding the old one and I've got 1 w/ the straight+serrated and 2 w/ the full straight edge.
I prefer the half serrated in general but as an EDC i only need the straight edge.
It's 154CM and sharpens easily and holds an edge for a decent amount of time for my use.

I use it daily for opening box, tightening connections, cutting zip ties, general computer fixing, etc etc and I love this multitool.

I've lost and reordered and lost the second bit however Leatherman offers a bit replacement set that has a Phillips and Standard in one reversible bit so I just keep that locked in the screwdriver portion.
http://www.leatherman.com/accessories/product/US_Replacement_Bits
L_934925_Bit_Replacement_Kit.jpg

Last edited: