4sevens Maelstrom X10 Review with OTF lumens.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the new 4sevens Maelstrom X10 for review. This light was sent to me by 4sevens for review purposes, and this model is a production model.

Here are the specs for this light. Note that this info was taken from 4sevens' website:
Dimensions:
Length = 5.6"
Body Diameter = 1.3"
Head Diameter = 1.8"
Weight without battery = 5.6 oz.
Battery = 1- 26650 Li-ion
Voltage Operating Range: 3v-4.2v
Two Levels of Output:
Low = 100 Lumens, 15hrs runtime
High = 640 Lumens, 1.8 hrs runtime

Some eye candy of the X10 ;):

DSC01717.jpg

DSC01658.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

DSC01668.jpg

DSC01666.jpg

Here's 4sevens newest iteration of their 26650 Li-ion battery. This battery was designed specifically for the X10, and should not be used in the S12 because of the higher current draw of the S12. However, if you already have a 26650 that works with the S12, then that battery should work fine in the X10, and like the S12, the battery and charger are sold separately from the light:

DSC01671.jpg

Now it's time for some OTF lumen results that were taken using my homemade integrating sphere. I need to mention that the X10 has thermal regulation like the S12 has, so the lumen output of the light varies with temperature changes of the light. This was done to protect the light from overheating because of excessive heat created at higher drive levels. I had an S12 in my possession not too long ago. The S12 was sent to me by forum member 'GotLumens?'. He graciously split the cost of shipping with me so we could do some testing on his S12. During the time I had his S12 I conducted the same type of testing that I've done with the X10.

I do need to state that although I did try to repeat my testing on the X10 in the exact same manner as I did with the S12, this was not an exact, scientific experiment that I've done here, so please take my information for what it's worth. If you've read my S12 testing thread then you're familiar with those results, and the process used to gain those results. If not, here's what I did. Since the lumen output of this light is directly affected by temperature of the light (because of thermal regulation), I've decided to test OTF lumens by using a freezer pack to test for the highest possible output, hand heat sinking, which is commonly used by many members on this forum, and one more method that I'm simply calling "no additional heat sinking", which means I turned the light on, held it by its tail cap and let it run.

To give you a better idea of exactly how these lights were held for each different test, I've taken images of myself holding the actual light in each testing position and posted below. I didn't take any images of the freezer pack because my thinking is that this method is pretty self explanatory :). I will state that I wrapped the freezer pack with a small towel to keep my hand from freezing off while holding the freezer pack around the light, and to keep my hand from lowering the temperature of the freezer pack. Here are the images:

Edit: I didn't have any images available of the S12 that I've compared to with all my testing, but CPF member Bass was kind enough to share some of his gorgeous images that he's taken of his S12 so that I can post some images of an S12 in this thread. Thanks, Bass :thumbsup::

S12_4Sevens_01a.jpg

S12_4Sevens_04.jpg

S12_4Sevens_07.jpg

S12_102a.jpg

S12_4Sevens_101.jpg

This is the hand heat sinking method. I did alternate between both hands throughout my testing:
HandCooling1.jpg

HandCooling2.jpg

Here's the no additional cooling method:
NoAdditionalCooling1.jpg

NoAdditionalCooling2.jpg

And now for my results. You will notice that there are two different charts for each test. One shows the OTF lumen output over a given amount of time, and the other shows the measured exterior temperature of the light taken during OTF lumen testing. For reference, I used an infrared thermometer to gather temperature of the light. The freezer pack measured 0 degrees F., and room temperature was 74 degrees F.

X10 vs S12 OTF Lumen Freezer Pack Test:
X10vsS12FreezerPackOTFLumensGraph.png

X10 vs S12 Freezer Pack Test Thermal Graph:
X10vsS12FreezerPackThermalGraph.png

X10 vs S12 OTF Lumen Hand Heat Sinking Test:
X10vsS12HandCoolingOTFLumensGraph.png

X10 vs S12 Hand Heat Sinking Test Thermal Graph:
X10vsS12HandCoolingThermalGraph.png

X10 vs S12 OTF Lumen No Additional Cooling Test:
X10vsS12NoAddionalCoolingOTFLumensGraph.png

X10 vs S12 No Additional Cooling Test Thermal Graph:
X10vsS12NoAdditionalCoolingThermalGraph.png

I also decided to test the X10 while holding the light as the user would normally hold it. Below are images of what I'm calling the "regular" holding position, followed by runtime OTF data. The light was still going strong 120 minutes into the runtime on high. I didn't test the S12 in the "regular" position (wish I had, though), so these results cannot be directly compared to the S12 testing:

RegularUse1.jpg

RegularUse2.jpg

X10NormailUse120MinRuntime.png

I've also compiled all the data of each X10 OTF lumen testing session into one graph together, and I've also done the same for the thermal results:

X10OTFLumenComparison.png

X10OTFThermalComparison.png

And finally, I've posted a brief video on Youtube showing the mode operation of this light. Click here to view the video.

The beam of the X10 is definitely tighter than the S12, and going on memory it seems like it would out throw the S12. Unfortunately I don't have an S12 to directly compare to. I'll try my best to take some beam shots of this light against my garage door soon. I'll post here when I update.

Thanks for looking, and hopefully you enjoyed reading my data.

Last edited:

JermsMalibu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for doing this ti-force! I already put in an order for one. :) I'm glad to see that it stays pretty dang bright throughout the run.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been waiting awhile for this review and it looks awesome! I just put an order in for it at goinggear. That's two lights today alone....what the H377 is wrong with me?!?

Looks like the X10 should stomp the S12 for throw.:devil:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
An another amazing reivew Ti-Force.

What is the 1M lux?

The graph and pictures are pretty good idea too. It lets the reader know exactly whats going on when you test. Thanks for all the work.
bigC

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The graphs seem to show exactly what you would expect given the use scenarios. Great methodology. Would love to see some lux numbers. I feel like the S12 actually throws better than some give it credit for and I'm guessing the X10 should out throw it handily. Reflector is about the same size as the TK35 no?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Interesting analysis ti-force, thanks for all the detailed cooling comparisons and write up. :thumbsup:

Hate to add to your work, but have you every tried using a cooling fan? I routinely do this in my testing, and know from limited temperature measurements that it cools better than hand-holding (but I doubt anywhere near as well as a cooling pack).

Looking at the output/runtime pattern on my X10 review, my cooling fan pattern seems closer to hand-holding in your results, but with less a dip in output (as suggested by my very crude lumen estimate conversion). It would be interesting to see how it directly compares to your other cooling methods. :whistle:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome review! Seeing the output behavior from the graphs, I'm wondering if the S12 is worth the extra $30? Initial output by the S12 is greater but after thermal regulation, the output of both is about equal. What really surprised me though was the freezer-pack graph and its corresponding thermal graph. Even though the temperature measured on both lights are nearly the same throughout the test, the S12 output decreases at a faster rate. I wonder why that is.

2many

Newly Enlightened
Great review! Thank you for your time and energy in getting this report done.

I've got an X10 on order from goinggear as well. Can't wait until it arrives.

PayBack

Enlightened
Considering the battery supply for the S12 these days, I wouldn't touch the X10 with a 10 foot pole. :(

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the battery supply for the S12 these days, I wouldn't touch the X10 with a 10 foot pole. :(

Who says you have to buy the 26650s that 4sevens sells? I plan to use the ones I buy from batteryspace....they are better performing cells as well (though unprotected if that matters to you.)

EDIT: I see that batteryspace is currently out of stock...but lighthound is not (they are the same cells.)

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words everyone; It's appreciated, and I'm glad you've found my review interesting :).

An another amazing reivew Ti-Force.

What is the 1M lux?

The graph and pictures are pretty good idea too. It lets the reader know exactly whats going on when you test. Thanks for all the work.
bigC

The graphs seem to show exactly what you would expect given the use scenarios. Great methodology. Would love to see some lux numbers. I feel like the S12 actually throws better than some give it credit for and I'm guessing the X10 should out throw it handily. Reflector is about the same size as the TK35 no?

Thanks BigC and GeoBruin! I'll do my best to take lux measurements of the X10 soon. The problem is that I don't really have a good place to test @ 5 meters :). GeoBruin, unfortunately I don't have a TK35, so I can't compare reflector size of the X10 to that of the TK35 for you.

Interesting analysis ti-force, thanks for all the detailed cooling comparisons and write up. :thumbsup:

Hate to add to your work, but have you every tried using a cooling fan? I routinely do this in my testing, and know from limited temperature measurements that it cools better than hand-holding (but I doubt anywhere near as well as a cooling pack).

Looking at the output/runtime pattern on my X10 review, my cooling fan pattern seems closer to hand-holding in your results, but with less a dip in output (as suggested by my very crude lumen estimate conversion). It would be interesting to see how it directly compares to your other cooling methods. :whistle:

Thanks for the kind words, Selfbuilt. Using a fan while testing lights that are not thermally regulated is definitely a good idea, but my reasoning for the freezer pack method was simply to show what the light is capable of if you can keep it cool enough. The hand heat sinking method was done because it's commonly implemented during actual use by many here on the forum, and the 'no additional cooling' method was used to show the lower end of this lights output, and could easily represent the output of the light if someone where to sit the light on a stand, etc.,and use the light hands free, although I'm sure my two fingers were pulling some heat from the light during use so it's not exact. And the 'normal' mode is the mode I think most will be holding the light when in actual use, but unfortunately I didn't test the S12 using that method......

If I had more time I'd test this light using a fan, but I simply don't have time; at the moment I'm quickly falling behind on reviews of other lights that I've committed my time to.

Awesome review! Seeing the output behavior from the graphs, I'm wondering if the S12 is worth the extra $30? Initial output by the S12 is greater but after thermal regulation, the output of both is about equal. What really surprised me though was the freezer-pack graph and its corresponding thermal graph. Even though the temperature measured on both lights are nearly the same throughout the test, the S12 output decreases at a faster rate. I wonder why that is.

Your question about the freezer pack method is a very good question, and I'll do my best to answer that for you. As I'm sure you're aware, both the S12 and X10 have thermal regulation (and current regulation). This works because the light is designed to deliver a set amount of current until the light reaches a predetermined temperature (usually well below the thermal limit of any component used in the light). When said temperature is reached, drive current to the emitter is reduced to gain a reduction in operating temperature. If you've noticed the spikes in some of my lumen graphs, that's what's happening at those points. The light throttles current back to cool the light, which in turn causes a slight drop in lumen output until the light's temperature is reduced enough to protect the light, then current is reapplied until it reaches the predetermined temperature again, then the light repeats the process all over again.

When using the freezer pack method, the light doesn't heat up enough to require a reduction in drive current to cool the light because the freezer pack is keeping the light below the predetermined cutout temperature. Because of this the lights driver delivers the max predetermined amount of current to the emitter. Consequently this causes the battery to deplete quicker because the light is consuming more energy from a source that has a limited amount of energy until it needs to be recharged. Now to explain the difference between both lights during the freezer pack method. As you know the S12 uses the SST-90 emitter and the X10 uses the new XM-L emitter. Well the XM-L is more efficient than the SST-90 emitter, therefore it produces more light output for a given, and equal amount of drive current, but it's limited to 3A max drive current while the SST-90 is limited to 8 or 9A of drive current if memory serves me correctly. These emitters can be, and have been driven harder by individuals who want the most light they can get from the emitter, but that's another topic for another thread.

Anyhow the SST-90 is being driven harder than the XM-L to produce its highest output. I believe I've read reports from individuals stating in the 5A range at max drive current, but I'm not certain about that. I do know that the XM-L is being driven at less than 3A drive current, and if I had to guess, I'd guess in the 2.6A range. Now even if the XM-L were driven at 2.5A and the SST-90 were driven at 5A (twice the current), you still couldn't guess that the XM-L light would run twice as long because it's more complicated than that because of emitter voltage forward differences between the two emitters (volts x amps = watts), and the higher the emitter voltage forward, the more energy it consumes from the battery and the quicker the battery will be depleted. So you would have to take voltage and current measurements simultaneously to actually calculate how much power or wattage each different emitter is consuming, but we don't really have to know that exactly because we know that the SST-90 is consuming more, and it shows by its drop in output on the lumen output graph.

So after that long, drawn out response :eek:....haha..... the reason you see the S12 dropping in lumen output quicker than the X10 during the freezer pack method is because of the S12 depletes the battery quicker than the X10 does because they're both being driven at the max predetermined amount of drive current. So in the freezer pack method, the output is no longer limited or decreased because of temperature limitations, but because of battery capacity limitations. Both batteries (X10 only and S12 batteries) are very close in capacity, so the one that drains the battery capacity at a quicker rate will dim quicker than the other. Hope this is accurate, and helps you better understand what's going on. Sorry for the drawn out way of explaining....:tired:lol...

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

First, I want to thank ti-force for having once again done a very nice review of the X10. If not for the fact that I already have the S12, I would have bought it. Now, I have interest in the X10, but my interest is wavering between my wants and justification in buying one.

@PayBack, I am afraid I don't quite understand what you meant about the batteries. I am using the first green version for the S12 and haven't encountered any issues with the batteries. Granted, I did not run it for prolonged periods of time to notice any issues with them. Are there any reported issues with the batteries from 4Sevens? Why the newer blue batteries now? Please PM me to avoid dragging this thread into an off-topic exchange between us.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Ti-force for dedicating all of your time in the review. It's so informative and will certainly help people decide whether or not they would like to buy this light. I just order an X10 to compare to my S12. But based on your graphs, reviews, and experience with 5 different S12s here is my opinion.

Buy an S12 if:
- You like a huge hot spot flood beam
- Plan to mod it by removing thermal regulation, burn in the LED and or direct drive it.
- You like a more neutral/yellowish/slight greenish of the SST90. Of the 5 S12 I handle only 1 was truly cool white. All the S12s I handle tint and output varies. Some benefit greatly from direct drive and burn in to accept 7A current while others only reach 5A. On two S12 the light only pull 3.5A at the tail cap with fresh IMR. I had to burn in the LED and reconnect regulation to acquire 4.7A. The point is...SST-90s in the S12 varies greatly!

Buy an X10 if/for:
- More throw
- Battery Life
- Cree XML is efficient, less heat and less variations between LEDs tints and current intake
- If you don't like your X10 tint, modding it to a different tint such as neutral is cheaper and probably easier
- On thermal and current regulation with no mods at all. The X10 provide higher practical output.
- Runs cooler

Have mod questions for these Maelstroms?...PM me

Ti-Force:
If you want to test the lumen output on my Direct Drive modded S12 just for kicks let me know...I can send you the light. You can also reconnect it back it to factory and do any side by side comparison if you would like.

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Ti-Force:
If you want to test the lumen output on my Direct Drive modded S12 just for kicks let me know...I can send you the light. You can also reconnect it back it to factory and do any side by side comparison if you would like."

I think many of us would love to see this. :thumbsup:

Vinhnguyen, when you get your X10 I'd love to know if the thermal management can be easily disabled like on the S12. And, I wonder what would happen if you DD'd it? :devil:

BTW, I really enjoyed your hot rodding S12 thread. :thumbsup:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I want to thank ti-force for having once again done a very nice review of the X10.

You're welcome and I'm glad you've found my review interesting.

Ti-Force:
If you want to test the lumen output on my Direct Drive modded S12 just for kicks let me know...I can send you the light. You can also reconnect it back it to factory and do any side by side comparison if you would like.

I think many of us would love to see this. :thumbsup:

Agreed, this would be interesting. Vinhnguyen54, please pm when you have time so we can discuss this in more detail. I have to finish testing a couple more lights first, then I'd like to do this test.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have stated, thank you for the review. It was both your review, and selfbuilt's, that pushed me over the edge to pick one up. :D

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
One thing I hate about these lights is having to tighten the tailcap in order to use the light continuoulsy, that is such a ridiculous design. I wouldnt buy one of these lights because of that design alone.