Banggood Network
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Default Re: 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Can someone from 4sevens say something about low mode? It supposed to be 100 lumens fot 15 hours but it's twice as bright with almost 2x shorter runtime. Is in normal or 'selfbuilt' got bad sample?

Unenlightened

Default Re: 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Hey this is great information thanks guys!

I wish there was a clickie switch for the X10.

Flashaholic*

A late thanks to Selfbuilt for the great review which is the reason I ordered Maelstrom X10!

Today I received it and included two batteries in the order. The 4Sevens SmartCharger I already have since earlier for charging 14500 batteries to my Xeno E03 lights.

Short personal impression and opinions: A great idéa to use 26650 battery, which makes it possible to get a good combination of high brightness and decent runtime. Only one battery to change is practical and simple. The knurling is great and the light feels safe in the hand.
    This is a pretty good thrower, between Fenix TK30 and TK50 when it comes to hotspot intensity. The hotspot is very even illuminated like the hotspot of TK50(no visible darker part), but massive with the size of the hotspot of TK30, just sharper edge. The hotspot intensity is not very much lower than TK50 but with approximately 4 times the area. This makes the hotspot brightly shining up a pretty large area at long distance!
    At the same time also the spill is significantly brighter than the spill of TK30, just slightly narrower.

At the low mode the hotspot seems to be greenish/yellowish(I have hard to specify it exactly) with a yellow corona and a bluish spill. At high mode, however, the hotspot to my eyes seems to be vanilla white, corona is yellow and the spill is clearly purple. The corona and the spill tints actually are pretty similar as my Jetbeam PA40 neutral.
    Consequently, the beam of X10 is not a favorite for white wall hunters. I first was a bit doubtful about the hotspot tint at low mode but I don't think it's a big problem for me: I didn't buy X10 for using at low mode and when I want a nice tint I just bring with me some of the lights with a Malkoff Warm dropin.
    The wide and bright spill combined with the powerful hotspot makes X10 useful for as well short and long distance.

Only serious drawback I find with this light is the tailcap. It's a tough job(with both hands) to turn on and off the light, and for momentary function I find it's difficult to hold it on without making it flickering(similar with Surefire 6P).

Apart from these issues I really like X10! It's the brightest flashlight I have ever had until this moment and I am sure I will enjoy it a lot!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.

Fear not, all you need to do is to install a different oring that is a little thinner. Then you find it incredibly easy to activate your X10. Also you will need to put on more lube for buttery smoothness. If you would like more lux and lumens, then mod with a U2

Enlightened

It's a great little light!! I too like the fact that it runs on a single cell, with fabulous runtime. Short and stubby, fits in any of my pockets just fine. Mine gets used alot and is starting to show it!!

Flashaholic*

Put some nyogel (sp?) lube on the threads and work the cap back and forth while watching a ballgame for awhile. You'll be shocked how easily it turns after you do this awhile. Clean the threads, then re-apply the lube. Work it in again. Now it'll be almost too easy to turn. No o-ring change necessary.

I have two of these lights (one stock and one direct driven.) I do wish they had a clicky switch, however.
    SPY 007 XM-L2, BVH 150w Vec192 HID, Gen III Maxabeam, Barn Burner, FireFox III, Mac's Customs 3840L & Damascus/Cu/Al Tri-EDCs, ma_sha1 FrankenMag, Drake, MF Scorpion 4x XM-L2, Tri-219 EYE10, XP-G2 X10

You must be lucky, I have 5 x Maelstroms X10’s and all had a slight green tint and T6 LED. I tried cleaning threads on all of them without success and then I tried a thinner diameter o-ring which worked like a charm. Of course you should re-lube etc

All of them now are easy to activate with either hand and effortless. I increased the output and throw by modding with XM-L U2 for a cool white tint and more throw.
    You must be lucky, I have 5 x Maelstroms X10’s and all had a slight green tint and T6 LED. I tried cleaning threads on all of them without success and then I tried a thinner diameter o-ring which worked like a charm. Of course you should re-lube with Nyogel etc.

All of them now are easy to activate with either hand and effortless. I increased the output and throw by modding with XM-L U2 for a cool white tint and more throw. One I installed a new driver for a little more punch and I too wish it had a clicky switch. I may try to make one, as Mha Sha1 says there is enough room for a clicky.

Flashaholic*

Thank you for the tips! Actually it's a bit scraping sound when I turn the tailcap and I get the impression of a not really good machinings of the threads.
    I started to remove the lubrication and dry the threads clean(it was some dust parts left I guess rests of the turning process of the threads). After that I applied silicon grease. It's now better but still not at all satisfying. I have as well WD 40 and CRC 5-56 lubrication at home who are is excellent.
    But will these lubrications damage the O-ring?

You could be correct, the machining on your unit might not be perfect or you may find that some ano has chipped off the threads. These are the two usual causes of the scraping sound of the X10 tailcap.

I would recommend using Super lube machine oil and Nyogel. I am not too familiar with CRC 5-56, but it looks like a spray and I am not a fan.

hi, any experience with SMO vs OP reflector on this light?

4sevens sells extra orange peel reflector and I'm considering it... just wondering, is the difference big enough? What will be the throw distance with SMO and how far does it throw with OP ?
    ---------
    QP2A, Klarus Mi10, Fenix E01, UltraFire TH-T60, Maelstrom X10
    follow my Twitter or read some reviews: City-Survival reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hnupek View Post
    hi, any experience with SMO vs OP reflector on this light?
    4sevens sells extra orange peel reflector and I'm considering it... just wondering, is the difference big enough? What will be the throw distance with SMO and how far does it throw with OP ?
    I haven't seen the OP version personally, but would probably go for it just to even out the chromatic/tint variations in the corona. It is likely to negatively affect throw somewhat, but probably not hugely so.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: V54 Fenix LD50vn.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

hm, okay, not sure how far SMO on X10 throws, still waiting for my package.. but once I test I will give it a try, order OP and post some pics
    ---------
    QP2A, Klarus Mi10, Fenix E01, UltraFire TH-T60, Maelstrom X10
    follow my Twitter or read some reviews: City-Survival reviews

I have a G5 that I use with an 18650 since I already have the charger for my K40 thrower. At $51 and change does the X10 offer enough over my G5 to make it worth the extra battery and charger ? Is the X10 totally unique in its throw and brightness for its size, or are there lights out there now that have surpassed it ?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by RBH View Post
    I have a G5 that I use with an 18650 since I already have the charger for my K40 thrower. At $51 and change does the X10 offer enough over my G5 to make it worth the extra battery and charger ? Is the X10 totally unique in its throw and brightness for its size, or are there lights out there now that have surpassed it ?

Bruce
    The x10 will blow away your g5 and it will actually run on your 18650s with a Lower run time till you get a 26650
    Asilaydying1984 ON YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by Bwolcott View Post
    The x10 will blow away your g5 and it will actually run on your 18650s with a Lower run time till you get a 26650
    It will blow away the G5 very nice light. Wonder why 4Sevens never said you could use 18650's
    Last edited by biglights; 11-11-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what is the reason-logic behind the tail cap twist interface on the X10 ? Won't the threads eventually wear out if the light sees a lot of use ? If it had a clicky, I would already have two on the way.
    Last edited by RBH; 11-11-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but what is the reason-logic behind the tail cap twist interface on the X10 ? Won't the threads eventually wear out if the light sees a lot of use ? If it had a clicky, I would already have two on the way.
    Surefire has been using that interface for years with no problems

Thanks for the reply. Do you find the interface inconvenient for general non tactical use ? Is there any thing else made that matches the X10 in output for it's size ?

Bruce

Surefire has been using that interface for years with no problems

How does the Shadow SL3 compare to the X10 in build quality and output ? I'm sure that the X10 warranty is better.

After watching these videos, I think I can live with the G5. I see more spill for sure with the X10, but the throw looks about the same. 24,000 Lux for the X10 vs 12,500 for the G5 just isn't in evidence on the 300 yard target. If I'm seeing it wrong, somebody clue me in.

Bruce

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWorxJxGmFU - G5 Video

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9XSsIl8BlI - X10 Video

How does the Shadow SL3 compare to the X10 in build quality and output ? I'm sure that the X10 warranty is better.

I have the sl3 and its build quality is pretty good and is extremely bright for its size

Thanks for the reply. Do you find the interface inconvenient for general non tactical use ? Is there any thing else made that matches the X10 in output for it's size ?

Bruce

Yea i don't really like the interface much

Thanks Bwolcott

I'm still very tempted by the X10, but since my WP6 II doesn't do the 26650, I'll probably pass. I have two new Eagletac 18650's laying around, and the Nitecore EC2 looks like a rocket that might actually fit in my pocket. To me, the 26650 battery looks looks like the future platform for a lot of new innovative lights.

Bruce

Yea i don't really like the interface much

Thanks Bwolcott

I'm still very tempted by the X10, but since my WP6 II doesn't do the 26650, I'll probably pass. I have two new Eagletac 18650's laying around, and the Nitecore EC2 looks like a rocket that might actually fit in my pocket. To me, the 26650 battery looks looks like the future platform for a lot of new innovative lights.

Bruce

I think your right about the 26650 a bunch of people have been getting into them lately, I have an ec1 and it does put out a long beam for its tiny size make sure you lock it out though if you leave your battery in it because the red led blinking will kill your battery

That's not good.

I have an ec1 and it does put out a long beam for its tiny size make sure you lock it out though if you leave your battery in it because the red led blinking will kill your battery

I've had it for a week now and I'm really liking it. Great throw and brightness for such a small size.

My only gripe is that I can't seem to get the tailcap operation smooth enough. I've tried lubricating the O-ring and threads with Super Lube synthetic grease, but it seems to actually freeze up the operation. I've tried barely any, a whole lot, and somewhere in between (wiping everything clean in between tries). Am I using the right kind of lubrication?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmyname View Post
    I've had it for a week now and I'm really liking it. Great throw and brightness for such a small size.

My only gripe is that I can't seem to get the tailcap operation smooth enough. I've tried lubricating the O-ring and threads with Super Lube synthetic grease, but it seems to actually freeze up the operation. I've tried barely any, a whole lot, and somewhere in between (wiping everything clean in between tries). Am I using the right kind of lubrication?
    See my post No 65.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE LED View Post
    Fear not, all you need to do is to install a different oring that is a little thinner. Then you find it incredibly easy to activate your X10. Also you will need to put on more lube for buttery smoothness. If you would like more lux and lumens, then mod with a U2

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE LED View Post
    See my post No 65.

Well I just got back from my neighborhood hardware store and they had a similarly sized O-ring, but slightly thinner. That did the trick.

This may or may not be common knowledge, but I found an easy way to remove the O-rings (I initially tried to use a knife to delicately remove it, but that damaged it - duh). Just use your thumb and index finger to grab either side of it and push perpendicular to the length of the light. This will cause the ring to bump out and you can easily grab and remove it.

Anyway, now it's very easy to activate one-handed. The UI is much easier to tolerate this way. Think of it as a head-twisty but on the tailcap. You can activate it one-handed in an overhand grip just like you would activate a head-twisty in an underhand grip.

Default 4Sevens Maelstrom X10 (XM-L, 26650) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Just ordered via goinggear and I'm excited! I've had my eye on this for a long time but wanted a light that would fit in a more of an EDC role, hence my ZL SC600. Love love love the Sc600. Obviously it will not replace my EDC but this will be more of a secondary/outdoor light that I will be keeping in my pack.

What I liked about it was the wide beam, decent spill, throw and the enormous output. 770lumens @ 24k lux? For a light that's barely 5.5 inches? Ridiculous ! I have a couple of protected 18650s so for now ill be using those until i get the 4sevens 26650 battery and charger. And for only $56? It's a steal. Get it while you can!

The x10 is definitely a great complement to my sc600. If anything it's almost the sc600 on steroids.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast