Why don't enthusiast light makers make lanterns?

PayBack

Enlightened
And by enthusiast I mean the likes of 4Sevens, Fenix, Olight, Zebralight etc.

Sure I have 10 torches (flashlights) for every lantern, but I still have 3 lanterns and the only thing stopping me buying a new one to replace the rather old ones I have, is the technology moves so slow for lanterns I don't see anything considered an upgrade.

Surely there's a market?

Last edited:

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
I wonder if there is a demand. The lanterns at the local wallyworld have an inch of dust on them.

And, can you imagine the cost of a 'quality' lantern. If the cheap ones, that work pretty well already, don't sell too quickly, what do you do with quality higher priced ones?

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Russellle.

I have been thinking about a reflect attachment for tail standing lights with this effect in mind. Maybe some type of alternate head with a reversed reflector, or an attachment you simply need to set on top to create the diffusing/lamp shade effect.

Of course, for now, I just hang a mule by a length of cord, and you have a very nice lantern anywhere. Only on a table is this lantern configuration really useful.

Otherwise, just hang a mule, as I like to say.

obi

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I'd like to see someone mod a Rayovac Extreme with warm emitters and a smooth, slightly diffuse lens. That'd be just about perfect..

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few years back I called Rayovac and begged them to sell the warm white version in the States. I got nowhere. Favourlight does make a warm white version with the "Gentos" branding, but for some stupid reason (I am guessing certain brands contracted to only sell in certain countries) we are not able to purchase the warm white version domestically, which is nuts.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
Just tossing in a Nichia, into a cheap plastic import lantern, doesn't make a lantern state of the art.

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:rolleyes: It depends on what you define as a lantern! Pelican makes a lantern 9410 at 710 lumen on high mode! I have this light as my household emergency light. Its rechargable and always ready to go because its on a Maintenance charge, that will not destroy the 4 NiMh D cell battery pack due to over charging!

ASheep

Enlightened
I'd like to see someone mod a Rayovac Extreme with warm emitters and a smooth, slightly diffuse lens. That'd be just about perfect..

Funny you should say that, I did exactly that to my rayovac extreme mini AA lantern. I got sick of the blue tint, so I swapped the emitter for a neutral XP-G.
Here's a quick pic I took of the star before I fitted the diffusor dome back on. (I hope this works)

IMG_20110806_112444-1.jpg

The mod was super easy, anyone with a soldering iron and some thermal paste could do it.

I use the lantern almost every night before bed, the batteries last for ages!

As for an "enthusiast" light company making lanterns, I think there just isn't enough demand for quality lanterns. As carrot said, Black diamond seem to have the market cornered in that respect.

Cheers,
Alex