Lux Rebel ES (on MCPCB) question

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
How good are these emitters now, as opposed to the popular Cree ones (XPG, XPE, XML etc.)?
http://ogazent.com/cscart/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29789

Anyone still using them, and on what flashlight application?
Any positive experience on these?

Also, anything to watch out when installing these PCBed emitters, esp. during wiring?
And are older Lux-based collimator optics compatible with this emitter? Can they rest snug on the substrate?
Please advise.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lux Rebel ES (on MCPCB)

I posted a question on these earlier but no one dared to help me out
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319025-Lux-Rebel-ES-(on-MCPCB)-question

Can someone help me?
Also, how does this one (emitter and PCB) compare with an old-fashioned Lux in terms of size?
Well people didn't help you because you posted it in the wrong forum. The sizes of both are in the datasheets. I invite you to look them up if you want to know exactly but the Rebels are much smaller than the old LuxIIIs and K2s.

How good are these emitters now, as opposed to the popular Cree ones (XPG, XPE, XML etc.)?
http://ogazent.com/cscart/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=29789

Anyone still using them, and on what flashlight application?
Any positive experience on these?

Also, anything to watch out when installing these PCBed emitters, esp. during wiring?
And are older Lux-based collimator optics compatible with this emitter? Can they rest snug on the substrate?
Please advise.
The rebel ES is an excellent LED. Whether it is the best for your application is impossible for me to say. They are roughly on par with Cree product so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Just depends on what you want to do with them. I highly doubt these Rebels are going to make a very good beam with the old Lux optics as the die height is completely different.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well people didn't help you because you posted it in the wrong forum. The sizes of both are in the datasheets [...] but the Rebels are much smaller than the old LuxIIIs and K2s.

[...]I highly doubt these Rebels are going to make a very good beam with the old Lux optics as the die height is completely different.
I posted in the TNC section just because the company offers the Rebel emitters on small MCPCBs and that I don't see other sources offering those. I'm interested in the whole thing and not the bare emitter.

If the size of that small PCB has roughly the same diameter as that of an old LuxIII slug then I'll probably try to get some of these Rebels from TNC, since I may be able to adapt this Rebel (emitter + PCB) to a LuxIII/SSCP4-based module with minimal modification.

Anyway still waiting for more feedback on using the Rebel on the older optics.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I posted in the TNC section just because the company offers the Rebel emitters on small MCPCBs and that I don't see other sources offering those. I'm interested in the whole thing and not the bare emitter.

If the size of that small PCB has roughly the same diameter as that of an old LuxIII slug then I'll probably try to get some of these Rebels from TNC, since I may be able to adapt this Rebel (emitter + PCB) to a LuxIII/SSCP4-based module with minimal modification.

Anyway still waiting for more feedback on using the Rebel on the older optics.
Oh. Sorry about that. I thought you were referring to the LEDs themselves. The mcpcbs are made by opulent which is a very good thing in my opinion. No way for me to know whether the die height is going to be in line or not. Just have to buy one and figure it out I guess.

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have answered sooner but it seems you were asking others opinions on these LED's. I am not sure how many others know of these LED's since most people are using XP-G's now and never thought Lumileds was ever going to catch up again. :)

These LED's are very competitive with the XP-G's. I beleive these Rebels have a lower Vf than the XP-G's. The datasheet on these states that the max boost current is 1.2a where as the cree you can drive harder (1.5a) if you want or need to.

I find that any Rebel or XP-G reflector seems to work very well with these. If anyone has any different experiences please state your thoughts.

As for wiring / soldering, make sure to use the least amount of solder needed. A big solder blob could come in contact with reflector and short out.

Hope this helps a bit.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPG is good, but again requires to be mounted on this small MCPCB in order to be used on my desired systems. Since the Rebel-on-MCPCB is readily available I'd like to give it a try...

But finding an XPG/Rebel reflector is not easy. I have some Fraen LPs in hand so I wonder if these can be used on the Rebel ES with good results.

So for this Rebel, I just need to solder the wires to the +/- terminals on the PDB, make sure the wire lies as flat as possible, and the amount of solder blob kept to a minimum, to avoid electrical shortout via the reflector. Is that correct?

TnC_Products

Flashlight Enthusiast
XPG is good, but again requires to be mounted on this small MCPCB in order to be used on my desired systems. Since the Rebel-on-MCPCB is readily available I'd like to give it a try...

But finding an XPG/Rebel reflector is not easy. I have some Fraen LPs in hand so I wonder if these can be used on the Rebel ES with good results.

So for this Rebel, I just need to solder the wires to the +/- terminals on the PDB, make sure the wire lies as flat as possible, and the amount of solder blob kept to a minimum, to avoid electrical shortout via the reflector. Is that correct?

That is correct?

What size optic / reflector are you looking for? I have a small reflector that works very well with it. It measures 0.500" od x 0.477 long.

Chris

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size optic / reflector are you looking for? I have a small reflector that works very well with it. It measures 0.500" od x 0.477 long.
Sorry but that won't work, 0.5" is too small. Will need something similar to the Fraen LP's size (~20mm OD)...
Planning on using the Rebel on a custom MagAA module build.