Best Charger for 18650 Battery

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys/Gal's,

Fist off I found y'all from the guys at Watchuseek and the DWC (Dive Watch Connection) after asking about of all things flashlights. And I gotta say, this is as bad as getting into watches … LOL But, due to my pay grade (this purchase looks like I'll be spending around two bills or so), I'm hoping to get it right or close to it the first time.

After wearing my eyeballs out, as well as frying my brain reading reviews over the past week or so. I'm presently torn between two lights;

1. FENIX TK21 U2 CREE XM-L U2 @ 468 Lumens (from what I've read and seen, this light throws it's light well)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-tk21-u2.html

2. Olight M30 Triton CREE MC-E @ 700 Lumens (something about the ability to use 2-18650 batteries is pulling me toward this light. But could find any info if using two batteries will increase it's run time and or give it more throwing power).

http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

Now to the meat of this thread. After deciding on a flashlight, I've now seen threads/posts regarding chargers. I was initially planning on ordering the flashlight, charger and batteries, plus a few extra batteries (to make it easy) from one source e.g. Battery Junction.

But (please correct me if I'm assuming wrong, I mean no disrespect) have since read that BJ doesn't carry a quality charger?

I work throughout the night, so my flashlight is a daily tool. Safety is also a big issue for me since my dogs and I live and work out of my MotorHome.

Now for the million dollar question, What charger would you recommend I purchase?

Sorry for the long post! But as I mentioned, would like to get this purchase as close the first time if possible.

Thanks,

Pops

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Pops and welcome to CPF,
That's funny, a friend of mine has recently gotten into watches, and man, he has some beautiful eye-poppers now, but gee whiz, talk about an expensive hobby :naughty:.

I'm glad to see you are concerned with safety in your new batteries and charger purchase. Personally, this is one area I wouldn't skimp on. Get the best you can afford.

First, here is an excellent resource for learning just about everything you'll need to know about rechargeable batteries:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Handled with care, caution, and respect, most batteries can be used with a minimum of risk, but to learn the answers to all your battery/charger related questions, I'd recommend that you head over to the "Flashlight Electronics-Batteries Included" area of CPF. You'll find tons of good info over there as well as some very knowledgeable folks who will undoubtedly help you find the best charger for your needs:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

Good luck on your decision between those two fine lights and in your search for the right battery/charger combo.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that with Li-ions, as with many other things, you get what you pay for.
That applies to both the chargers and the cells.
In my opinion, good 18650 cells include AW or Redilast 2600 or 2900 mAh cells. They both use quality new cells inside them, and good protection PCBs.
And good chargers, short of hobby chargers, include the Pila IBC or the 4Sevens single bay charger, because they both use the CC/CV method of charging/termination.

But there are other options, those are just my suggestions, to simplify the matter.

You'll find this a helpful thread to read.

Also this one.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the fast response. Looks like I have more reading to do, but will more then likely order a flashlight this morning (utilizing batteries initially), then order a charger as soon as I'm aware of what I'm purchasing.

I also agree in not scrimping (if that's the correct word) in this area of my initial investment.

Pops

Oh, wanna hear something funny? After viewing a few video reviews by GoingGear.com, man I can't believe I'm admitting it to y'all … LOL

It looks like the 4Sevens G5 is now in the running and the FENIX TK21 is out … :hairpull:

infinus

Newly Enlightened
I just got an Icharger 106B. The nice thing about a hobby charger is being able to analyze your batteries. I've often wondered which of my li-ion cells is starting to wear out. Being able to log to pc I can now measure their charge holding capacity.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like the 4Sevens G5 is now in the running and the FENIX TK21 is out … :hairpull:

Well that makes it easier for you. The actual 4Sevens website has free shipping, the G5, the 4Sevens charger, and the AW quality cells, so you can do what you initially wanted to do and get everything from the one source, if you so desire ;)
edit: not to mention an 8% CPF discount!

infinus

Newly Enlightened
If you are getting AW cells (which are great cells) I recommend checking out the cpfmarketplace. Straight from AW or from AW's US reseller they are much cheaper than any other website sells them.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that makes it easier for you. The actual 4Sevens website has free shipping, the G5, the 4Sevens charger, and the AW quality cells, so you can do what you initially wanted to do and get everything from the one source, if you so desire ;)
edit: not to mention an 8% CPF discount!

To my new friend from the "Land Down Under", man I wish we were in your (winter) season right now. It's so hot in the desert, our lizards are sporting canteens and Ray Ban's!

Thanks for your suggestion, BUT GoingGear's has the G5 on sale @ 20% off. I plan on calling GoingGear in a few hours and will ask if he carries 4Seven's charger, as well as the G5.

Pops

Btw, When I worked for Continetal Airlines in Honolulu waaaaay back in the late 70's. I was the guys/gals hired to work Air New Zealand's flights. After helping out a passenger stuck in the Island's during the Holiday Season (she stayed at my folks house, well it was more like a reasort ... LOL). When I finally got her out (pulled a few strings), her parents sent me a case of your famous Rack's of Lamb. Man did we have a BBQ!

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are getting AW cells (which are great cells) I recommend checking out the cpfmarketplace. Straight from AW or from AW's US reseller they are much cheaper than any other website sells them.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Pops

Kingfisher

Enlightened
If you're using it a LOT get rechargeable' s if not use primaries - most decent ones have 10 year shelf life and perform better.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my new friend from the "Land Down Under", man I wish we were in your (winter) season right now. Thanks for your suggestion, BUT GoingGear's fot the G5 on sale right now @ 20% off. I plan on calling GoingGear in a few hours and will ask if he carries 4Seven's charger, as well as the G5.

Pops

Btw, When I worked for Continetal Airlines in Honolulu waaaaay back in the late 70's. I was the guys/gals hire to work Air New Zealand's flights. After helping out a passenger stuck in the Island's during the Holiday Season (she stay at my folks house, well it was more like a reasort ... LOL). When I finally got her out (pulled a few strings), her parents sent me a case of your famous Rack's of Lamb. Man did we have a BBQ!

Well that sounds like a good deal. Yes, he has the 4Sevens charger... 46 in stock apparently. I'm so jealous of you guys having relatively close access to a store like goinggear... There's nothing like that in NZ, and the shipping to get stuff here is prohibitively expensive.
PS, I used to work for Air NZ... But that was a few years back now.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today, you can get a hobby charger for less than $20 with the following features:

Microprocessor controlled with LCD
Automatic charging current limit
Capacity limit
Temperature threshold
Delta-peak sensitivity (NiMH/NiCd)
Individual cell balancing
Li-ion, LiPo and LiFe capable
Ni-Cd and NiMH capable
Lead Acid capable
Adjustable charge current
Store function, allows safe storage current
Time limit function
Input voltage monitoring. (Protects car batteries at the field)
Data storage

Specs:
Input Voltage: 11~18v
Circuit power: Max Charge: 50W / Max Discharge: 5W
Charge Current Range: .1~6.0A
Ni-MH/NiCd cells: 1~15
Li-ion/Poly cells: 1~6
Pb battery voltage: 2~20v

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your time.

I just got off the phone with Going Gear a few minutes ago. After asking a few questions, ok, maybe more then a few. I ordered a 4Sevens Maelstrom G5, charger, 18650 batteries and a couple of CR123 batteries as well (so I can play while the rechargeable are charging).

Pops

arpy

Newly Enlightened
I'm presently torn between two lights;
1. FENIX TK21 U2 CREE XM-L U2 @ 468 Lumens
2. Olight M30 Triton CREE MC-E @ 700 Lumens (something about the ability to use 2-18650 batteries is pulling me toward this light...).
Hey, you might have overlooked the marvellous Fenix TK35:
http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-tk353.html
It also uses 2 18650 recharchables (or 4 CR123A)and produces some 820 lumens with quite a nice throw and flood mixture. The extra mode switch makes mode changes easy and fast. On top of that it is hardly any bigger than the TK21, and comes with a nice belt holster. Impressive little *******, I like it very much, I hardly use my TK40 anymore, which is nice too.
Concerning the charger: I took the wolves eyes double 18650 charger my lumens dealer had bundled with the light. Nothing special, just does the job.
Have fun with whatever you choose!

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well have fun with it! I'm sure the going gear guys advised you that flat top cells like the AW 2900 or the Redilast 2900 won't work due to the lights physical anti-reverse protection, so you need to use button top cells. It also comes packaged with a pair of CR123s.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got an Icharger 106B.

I have one of these - I LOVE it!

BUT:
It is more complicated than a simple cradle charger.

So, if you don't mind the greater complexity then the hobby charger is a FANTASTIC tool for charging & testing your cells. The iCharger can charge to 3.85 (storage charge) or 4.10 (kinder charge) or 4.20 (max capacity) rather than just 4.20V. Hobby chargers can charge at whatever rate you choose (iCharger - 0.05A to 10.0A) which makes them better for charging very small or very large batteries (I have 10440 through to 32650 cells). Hobby chargers can also charge LiFePO4 cells which require a different voltage (3.6V instead of 4.2V).
Hobby chargers = much more capability & flexibility, but at the cost of greater complexity that some users aren't too keen on.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these - I LOVE it!

BUT:
It is more complicated than a simple cradle charger.

So, if you don't mind the greater complexity then the hobby charger is a FANTASTIC tool for charging & testing your cells. The iCharger can charge to 3.85 (storage charge) or 4.10 (kinder charge) or 4.20 (max capacity) rather than just 4.20V. Hobby chargers can charge at whatever rate you choose (iCharger - 0.05A to 10.0A) which makes them better for charging very small or very large batteries (I have 10440 through to 32650 cells). Hobby chargers can also charge LiFePO4 cells which require a different voltage (3.6V instead of 4.2V).
Hobby chargers = much more capability & flexibility, but at the cost of greater complexity that some users aren't too keen on.

Are iCharger a Kiwi company? I might get one eventually... Is there a kind that can just plug into a normal power point?

Last edited: