Tri-V Light Leak?

TinyCrumb

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPFers, just a question for Tri-V owners, or for Dave himself if he happens to stop by.

I noticed on my Tri-V that there's some light that leaks out of the aspher. Almost appears to be a cut in the Ti, but not sure.

Pic: (only shows like that when the aspher is on.)

f7TI+

Is that normal?

blackfly

Enlightened
Mine is the same way. I've noticed light just above where the reflector & asphere connect on the opposite side. But I just tried mine out & light is visible at the point you describe also. It must be normal.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It must be there for reasons, then. Wondering what ?

easilyled

Flashaholic
It must be there for reasons, then. Wondering what ?

I believe that the extra Ti housings for the Tri-V that surround the Aspheric lens, flood, and reflector are separate components that fasten together leaving hairline spaces between them that allow light to escape from.

I know that before Data fastens/clips them together he runs a line of silicone on the receiving base to help with the seal, but this will still allow passage of light.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, that is normal. It comes from a machining cut that was a couple thou deep there. It had to be too deep as opposed to too shallow. It is made to look huge in that pic with light bouncing around but it is really extremely small channel.

It is all sealed with silicon so it is water tight there. The Tri-V2 does not have that channel.

11 Tri-V's ??? cool.

The Tri-V2 parts are still running. Everything is coming along good with that.

Cheers
Dave