La Crosse Technology BC1000 reviews? Experiences?

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I've searched google up and down for the past 1.5 days or so. It seems that there isn't alot of people with these yet. Has anyone used one? Any reviews?

The price is around $60. The c9000 can be had for less but is HUGE. I need something a little more portable but with similar specs and around the same price. As far as I can tell, (with very limited experience might I add) the BC1000 fits the bill nicely.

I'll also add that my googlefoo is above average IMO. I know how to use search engines to search forums and what not but I think my lack of knowledge on the subject may be hindering my searches. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this may become a reference to any fellow CPF members looking for information on the BC1000.

Semper Fi,
Colby

shadowjk

Enlightened
Is BC1000 a rebrand of 700 or 900, or is it that mythical actual new version, that last time anyone tried to get any information about it, got a reply form Lacrosse saying that it doesn't exist yet?

tandem

Enlightened
The BC1000 is a little trimmer, but that also results in the cells sitting closer together which may result in more heating.

BC1000: 3.0" (W) x 1.5" (H) x 5.1" (D)
C9000: 4.25" (W) x 1.5" (H) x 6.5" (D)

I have travelled with my C9000 but I usually take a portable Duracell CEF23 with me (plugs directly in wall, has USB out port, comes with cig lighter adapter) if flying and indeed will on our next trip in a few weeks.

I'm permanently turned off of LaCrosse due to reports from users who have had to deal with them for service.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the same as the BC900 in appearance and specifications, just with a different colour (black) and a different name?

IMHO, LaCrosse have rebranded it in an attempt to get away from the negative associations with meltdowns in the BC900...

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
It's the same as the BC900 in appearance and specifications, just with a different colour (black) and a different name.

IMHO, LaCrosse have rebranded it in an attempt to get away from the negative associations with meltdowns in the BC900...
The dimensions are different as stated in the post #3 but as per the website they are they same. Confused....

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Here is a link to the BC1000 on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004J6DLD4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Here it is on the La Crosse Technology website.
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc1000/index.php

BC-9009 specs per La Crosse site are as follows.

Dimensions:
Charger: 3.0" x 5.1" x 1.5"

• Works with all NiCd and NiMH "AA" and "AAA" Rechargeable Batteries
  • LCD shows capacity for each battery when charging is complete
  • Charges AA & AAA rechargeable batteries simultaneously
  • Will not charge defective batteries
  • Select different charging current for each channel
  • Automatically switches to trickle charge when charging is complete to ensure maximum battery capacity
  • Automatically defaults to 200mA charge (the optimal setting for prolonging battery life)
  • Overheat detection to protect over-charging
  • 7 Easy to Use Function Keys
  • Charge Mode (charging current)
  • Discharge Mode (discharging current)
  • Refresh Mode (time elapsed)
  • Test Mode (accumulated capacity)

• Included Accessories:

4-"AA" NiMH 1.2v Batteries

4-"AAA" NiMH 1.2v Batteries

Durable Nylon Travel Bag

AC Power Adapter

4-"C" Size Battery Adapters

4-"D" Size Battery Adapters
Specifications:

• Charges Battery Types:
    AA & AAA NiCd and NiMH
  • Input Voltage for AC/DC Adapter:
    100-240 VAC
  • Charging Current Range:
    200 mA - 1800 mA

BC1000 specs per La Crosse site are as follows.

Dimensions:
Charger: 3.0" L x 5.1" W x 1.5" H

• Works with all NiCd and NiMH "AA" and "AAA" Rechargeable Batteries
  • All Modes Automatically Default to 200mA Charge (the optimal setting for prolonging battery life)
  • Charge Both "AA" & "AAA" Rechargeable Batteries Simultaneously
  • Overcharge Detection to Protect Battery Life

• 3 Easy Steps to Renewable Power
    1. Insert battery (batteries)
    2. Select Mode: Charge, Discharge/charge, Refresh/charge, Test/charge
    3. Select charging current (Rate): 200mA to 1800mA
  • Works with all NiCd & NiMH AA/AAA Rechargeable Batteries
  • Automatically switches to trickle charge when charging is complete to ensure maximum battery capacity
  • Automatically defaults to 200mA charge (the optimal setting for prolonging battery life)
  • Overcharge detection to protect battery life
  • Selectable charging current : 200, 500, 700 or 1000mA. When only channel 1 and/or channel 4 are used, can select up 1500 or 1800 mA.
  • Charges AA & AAA rechargeable batteries simultaneously
  • Will not charge defective batteries
  • Overheat protection to protect battery life. If any one battery or circuit over heat, the charger will stop all channels charging and discharging.
  • When charging is complete, LCD shows capacity in %charged for each battery
  • Lots of Accessories Included
  • Uses any AA battery with adapter to power electrid/electronic devices requiring C or D batteries
  • Tons of Accessories Included:
    • Includes 4-C Size Battery Adapters
    • Includes 4-D Size Battery Adapters
    • Includes 4-AA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries
    • Includes 4-AAA Rechargeable NiMH Batteries
    • Includes Bonus Nylon Travel Bag:
      • Deep main pocked with 2 inner pockets
      • Divided zipper pocket perfect for battery storage
      • Strong adjustable nylon strapw/detachable metal clips

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a link...
I'm sure all of us have used Google and found those specs for ourselves. What would have been more useful than simply copying and pasting the same content here would have been to look at the two sets of specs side by side and draw attention to any differences between them, or to confirm if there are none...

Just a suggestion ;)

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Ok so making this info readily available to other forum members by gathering it and posting it here for all to see is bad how? Contribute to the thread or please do not post.

Just a suggestion ;)

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, so you've gathered the information; now are there any differences between those specifications of the BC1000 and the BC9009?

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
That's why this thread was started. To see of anyone has used one or can comment on it in any way. Is it the same as the BC-9009? I do not know. The specs would lead you to believe that it will PERFORM as the BC-9009 does but it still may be of better quality and/or safer than the BC-9009. I can see that you are trying to make this thread seem invalid but the fact is that there is bound to be another person looking for information on this new charger.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not trying to make the thread seem invalid, though you might say I am a bit cynical. I have not heard of the BC1000 before today, it's completely new to me. So the first thing you do with a newly announced product is look at the specifications and description and compare it with earlier similar products. Are there any differences? Are there any new features or dropped features? A cursory glance at the specifications suggests there are none, but I have not seen a detailed comparison yet, so that much remains slightly unclear. If you ask why I don't do that myself, it is because I don't have an interest in buying this charger. But someone who does have an interest might be more inclined to go through the features line by line and see if any differences do pop out. As to whether there are any physical or manufacturing differences, we will have to wait for someone to buy one and take it apart.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I guess I'll be pulling it apart when it gets here then. I just ordered one. Ill post up some gut pics for everyone to see but I won't know what I'm looking at.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BC1000 is a little trimmer, but that also results in the cells sitting closer together which may result in more heating.

BC1000: 3.0" (W) x 1.5" (H) x 5.1" (D)
C9000: 4.25" (W) x 1.5" (H) x 6.5" (D)

I have travelled with my C9000 but I usually take a portable Duracell CEF23 with me (plugs directly in wall, has USB out port, comes with cig lighter adapter) if flying and indeed will on our next trip in a few weeks.

I'm permanently turned off of LaCrosse due to reports from users who have had to deal with them for service.

The dimensions are different as stated in the post #3 but as per the website they are they same. Confused....

No, post 3 was comparing the dimensions of the Maha C9000 with the La Crosse BC, not the two La Crosse versions.
It seems to have been a reply to your original post where you commented on the HUGE size of the Maha.

When I was charger hunting I tried to compare the La Crosse BC1000 and BC9009, and I couldn't find any differences other than the colour of the plastic either.
The La Crosse website wasn't much help in finding differences either. If they've improved it somehow, or have some reason for spending the extra money, they should put up a product comparison chart.
Perhaps a media release for the newer product highlighting how they've improved it, even if it just the software or algorithms or whatever that may have been changed.

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I agree completely. I emailed La Crosse and asked what the differences are. I'll post up their response when/if I get one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

MarioJP

Enlightened
Not for me. I'm waiting for the BC100000 :)
Really?? that's weird. it says in stock. Not in the U.S? The guy that made a comment about it he said the difference is in the temp sensors.

Oh I see you are being sarcastic and the fact that you live in southern Calif didn't see the extra 0's lol. But what really is the difference I don't get it lol.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really?? that's weird. it says in stock. Not in the U.S? The guy that made a comment about it he said the difference is in the temp sensors.
I mean the BC10000 (BC ten thousand) is not the charger for me. I'm waiting for the BC100000 (BC hundred thousand)...