NiteFighter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buy> McGizmo Haiku... ( Haiku owners please post pictures here as well for drooling )

Default Re: Buy> McGizmo Haiku... ( Haiku owners please post pictures here as well for drooli

I really like the orientation of the trit in the photo above, especially on a light like the Haiku that has no fluting on either end. One of the members from Europe sent in his Haiku but he wants the trits aligned on the long axis. I'll do mine first to double check that the milling setup is correct, but plan to install them like those in the photo.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Default Re: Buy> McGizmo Haiku... ( Haiku owners please post pictures here as well for drooli

Cutting on the long axis is probably easier since the cut will be the same depth from one end to the other. I prefer the way yours are aligned, though.

Since the trit slots aren't integrated into the upward-facing part of the tailcap, I was thinking two slots per light, 90 degrees CW and CCW from the clip, should allow for maximum visibility at minimum cost. What do you think?

I been thinking quite a bit about trits for my personal Haiku, probably on the head as there is no clip to work around. As of now, I plan to space four around the head at 90° spacing, with those four installed "sideways" like the photo above. Then install four more that run "longways", again at 90° spacing & located exactly between the first four.

I was thinking two slots per light, 90 degrees CW and CCW from the clip, should allow for maximum visibility at minimum cost.
    Two should work well, as there will almost always be one that's easily visible.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Then again, 6 in the head look kewel

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post

Man that looks beautiful I sent ya an email about having some done

TYVM

That job was what I'd call "white knuckle machining" as it was my first try at titanium slots ... on a $350 head. After the first one was milled I was able to relax a bit. Still a tough little job, as slot length was held to -.0000" and +.0005", although depth of cut tolerance was double that.

oHHHH, I do like those 6 slots very much. Hmmm

At Pawley's Island this past week - really nice to have on night walks.

Last edited by Vernon; 11-26-2011 at 12:41 PM.
    ...and He separated the light from darkness. Check out my lights.

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

What size are the trits you used?
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Precisionworks,

Those trit slots look great!

Quote Originally Posted by smarkum View Post
    What size are the trits you used?
    Those are 1.5x5mm.

These are 2x6mm:

Precisionworks,

That is so cool! The only thing that would make it better is if you could cut ninjas in half with it.

~ Chance
    Benjamin Franklin may have discovered electricity, but Albert Einstein was the first to use it to style his hair.

crffish & Chauncey,

Thank you both for your kind words. The Haiku is a canvas that's just waiting for a trit or two ... or even 16

Wow these definetely look bright !

Do you know how much "meat" is left at the tail section ? There is a internal groove that holds the rubber boot retaining o-ring.
    Or does the tritium slots fall in the treaded section that holds the switch ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Precisionworks,

That is so cool! The only thing that would make it better is if you could cut ninjas in half with it.

~ Chance

"I am not a Collector" - Tim

Enlightened

Those are 1.5x5mm.

These are 2x6mm:

that looks pretty damned awesome.. do you think that you could put trits in the fins like the v10r?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...withtrits.jpg/

Quote Originally Posted by pistolsnipe View Post
    ... do you think that you could put trits in the fins like the v10r?
    The short answer is no. The reason is that the "head fin" section of the V10R is detachable & that allows easy access for the drill bit. The Haiku head is solid & there's no way I can see to do that operation without totally redesigning the head into three parts - something that's not likely to happen

Quote Originally Posted by tino_ale View Post
    Do you know how much "meat" is left at the tail section ? There is a internal groove that holds the rubber boot retaining o-ring. Or do the tritium slots fall in the threaded section that holds the switch ?
    Like most lights there are places on the Haiku where slots are fine & quite a few places that they aren't suitable. The tail image shows that the slots are just slightly rearward of the area that is drilled & tapped for the pocket clip screws:

Go any farther forward & the slot will open into the groove for the O-ring & boot. The thickness at the tail is substantial, about 0.150" (3.81 mm) so milling a 2mm deep slot leaves lots of metal. You can still throw your Haiku out of an airplane & it will survive

2mm slots in the head are more difficult as there are lots of internal cuts to consider. Notice how the slots are located as far to the back of the head as possible:

Go the tiniest bit farther forward & the slot will open into a bored out area.

My Haiku, after it came back from PrecisionWorks to have some slots milled and UKMidnite to get anodised. The trits were waiting at home, just as the new high CRI light engine...

When I took the pics (quite in a hurry, sorry...), the head was unfortunately not yet aligned correctly, that has been fixed now!

My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Flashaholic

My Haiku! The only different from original is the clip. I use scotch brite to polish it to glossy finish.
    Last edited by cubebike; 06-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk_Lu View Post
    My Haiku, after it came back from PrecisionWorks to have some slots milled and UKMidnite to get anodised. The trits were waiting at home, just as the new high CRI light engine...

When I took the pics (quite in a hurry, sorry...), the head was unfortunately not yet aligned correctly, that has been fixed now!

Ok, that is just plain awesome.

I would be soooo curious to know what Don thinks of a light that has been dolled up like this.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?