The Fenix-Store
Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1821222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: HDS Systems EDC # 15

Default Re: HDS Systems EDC # 15

I have a 170T. There are times when I really feel and hear a *click* but the light doesn't recognizes it. I removed the tailcap to find out if it is only because of the tactical clicky or the switch. The switch works fine except this one point. When I press it towards this one corner, it would not light up no matter ho many times I click it but when I center my finger and click, it lights up normally.
    Does this happen to you guys also?

Quote Originally Posted by Flucero28 View Post
    I'm sorry in advance if this has already been asked, I've been searching hi and lo and haven't come across anything. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge then I can provide me with the specs for the stop screw on the HDS rotary. I would really like to replace mine with a black hex version, but don't have the means to determine the specs. Thanks in advance!

Frank
    If you live in a decent sized city/town there should be a screw specialty store. Take the screw there and they will be able to determine the specs and should have what you are looking for.
    Ra 120/XPG -R4, Ra 100w, SC50W, H51+W, SC31W, H501W, Sunwayman V11R High CRI, DEFT FTP, McGizmo HD45, MR. Bulk Ti Dragon/RPM set, Mini 123W, 2 olight M20 Warriors, Alu ITP A3 & Ti ITP A3.

Quote Originally Posted by ico
    I have a 170T. There are times when I really feel and hear a *click* but the light doesn't recognizes it. I removed the tailcap to find out if it is only because of the tactical clicky or the switch. The switch works fine except this one point. When I press it towards this one corner, it would not light up no matter ho many times I click it but when I center my finger and click, it lights up normally.
    I think (can't check at the moment) there is a little nub on the bottom of the button that contacts the 'clicker' of the switch. If you push on an angle it's possible the nub is sliding past or going to the side of the clicker and not engaging the switch properly. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post
    This happens sometimes with my HDS 200T (my only HDS). I think the tailcap boot prefers to be pushed at the center. I also think I was missing clicks sometimes due to dirty contacts. I cleaned them with isopropanol and I haven't missed any clicks since correcting my clicking technique.
    Last edited by JohnSmith; 11-23-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ico View Post
    I have this problem with my now almost one-year-old 120E Clicky as well. At first I thought it was a defect, but I learned that it probably is the way I press the tailcap button. I use my clicky often and don't haven't noticed this issue a lot.
    Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Cato the Elder

Flashaholic*

I haven't been keeping up with the changes the HDS lights are undergoing but I recently purchased my 3rd HDS Ra Clicky light and I noticed that my new Clicky 170 has big fat square threads. A very nice improvement over the previous threads on my 140s.
    Well ... nice attention to detail Henry. Bravo.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Imon View Post
    I haven't been keeping up with the changes the HDS lights are undergoing but I recently purchased my 3rd HDS Ra Clicky light and I noticed that my new Clicky 170 has big fat square threads. A very nice improvement over the previous threads on my 140s.
    Well ... nice attention to detail Henry. Bravo.
    I agree...the Acme threads are a great addition to these rock solid lights!

Flashaholic*

I just placed an order for an HDS Rotary...now the wait begins!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    Congratulations!!
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    The only aspect I dislike is the VERY noticeable donut on low low within 6" of object. It always gets me when map-reading in the dark.
    I hate this about my new 170t. It literally has no light in the center of the beam. Only light on the sides. It really drives me crazy because I sold my cerakoted clicky, which had a flawless beam, for this one that has an enormous donut ring.

Unenlightened

Received my HDS Rotary Executive yesterday. Not that I really needed it, just had to have it, I'm sure that sounds familiar. Spent the afternoon busily clicking away, waiting for darkness. May get a gorilla-like thumb or an inflamed tendon. I'm leaving the options and brightness menus well alone until I become more familiar with the light.

Although this isn't my first LED light, I'm still surprised by how much output a single CR123 battery can generate in a good light. Bought the kydex holster, too, looks good with the faux- carbon fiber finish. Wish there would be a good clip option, this would also prevent it from rolling. Tailstand works, my main reason for buying the Executive with the flush button. Hope they will produce a titanium version sometime and hope to snag one, then.

May upgrade to rechargeable 16340 batteries and a suitable charger, eventually.

Now I understand why this light is so popular here, another convert! My other CR123 light is a Sunwayman V10R Ti, I'm a great Ti fan.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by skatenut View Post
    RSpent the afternoon busily clicking away, waiting for darkness. May get a gorilla-like thumb or an inflamed tendon.
    I experienced exactly the same when I got mine.

Can you make a picture of the holster with the light in it?
    I haven't seen that holster on a belt yet.

I might that holster too.
    Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post

Can you make a picture of the holster with the light in it?
    I haven't seen that holster on a belt yet.

I might that holster too.
    Don't know how to post pics yet, PM sent.

Flashaholic*

Don't know how to post pics yet, PM sent.
    Email me the picture: blades67(at)gmail.com

Welcome to CPForums.
    --Jason--
    #67/#39

Unenlightened

Let me try, and thank you for your kind offer, Blades, much appreciated!
    And thank you for the welcome!

Just read the FAQs again, since my second post today.
    RTFM usually helps....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Better than nothing, although only flash pics.

Flashaholic

Should you opt for the "normal" or the heavy duty version?
    You could choose the heavy duty since it is adjustable down to the belt size that is supported by the normal version.
    But the heavy duty version has a broader plastics clamp.
    Maglite 3D // MTE SSC-P7-C // 47's Quark 123˛ NW XP-G R4 // HDS Rotary R1S-200 + Lee Filter 206 quarter CT orange // 4Seven's Preon 2 highCRI SaTi // green Thrunite Ti

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
    Should you opt for the "normal" or the heavy duty version?
    You could choose the heavy duty since it is adjustable down to the belt size that is supported by the normal version.
    But the heavy duty version has a broader plastics clamp.
    The normal version is intended for belts with a maximum width of 35 mm. The heavy duty version is intended for belts with a width of 50 mm, according to the websites you and I have seen. I have the narrower version (35mm width) and I'm happy, I don't have 50 mm wide belts.

Seen the pics?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    Im sure you will enjoy the rotary. I got mine in August.
    Jab

Flashaholic*

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]...
    Welcome to CPF!

That is a great looking setup!

kelmo

Quote Originally Posted by Mgizler View Post
    I hate this about my new 170t. It literally has no light in the center of the beam. Only light on the sides. It really drives me crazy because I sold my cerakoted clicky, which had a flawless beam, for this one that has an enormous donut ring.
    You may want to play with it or send it to someone with experience working on them. I've got a couple Clicky's with XP-G's in them and the beam pattern couldn't have been more different in regards to cleanliness of the beam. Just recently messed around with swapping bezels on the one with problems and the beam is almost perfect now.
    My problem was mostly with the outside of the beam but re-shimming may help. If it doesn't I'd be willing to bet that a custom reflector with a smaller emitter hole at the bottom could fix it because there are plenty of XP-G equipped lights without any hole, but they're generally accompanied by a much smaller hole at the bottom of the reflector and I suspect that is where the problem with doughnuts is coming from.
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 11-26-2011 at 10:49 AM.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Flashaholic

Yes you are correct.
    Only the HDS has a big gap between the emitter and the reflector.

Here you can see a picture, taken with cell phone cam in one hand and a MTE MCE-LED flashlight doing the lighting in my other hand.
    On the left a neutral XP-G in the Quark 123-2 in the middle a highCRI XP-G 85+ in the Preon2 and on the right the cold white HDS Rotary.
    Only the HDS has a gap.
    I know on every edge of a LED is a gap, but the gap on the corners is bigger on the HDS

(click on pic for even larger version)

Last edited by nutcracker; 11-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Flashaholic*

Nice to hear that there are potential fixes to the problem but unfortunately my 170 also has a hole in the hotspot when the light is about >5" from a surface. This is a problem that my 140 doesn't have even when the light is right up to a surface. I'll keep trying to fix it and hopefully be able to return with positive news.

Not sure if it’s proper etiquette to ask this question, so if it’s not please feel free to delete this post.

When my Rotary arrives, it's come to the point that I'm thinking of doing a mod to my T170 to eliminate the slight green tint it has in it’s beam. This is the first for me (doing a modification to a light) and wanted to ask who would you recommend I talk to about doing this ?

I understand that I'll void the warranty on the light, but I'd rather consider doing this then sell the light that has this tint in it. Which (I'm not sure but) will more then likely mean that I'll take a huge hit on it if I did sell it!

Thanks!

Btw, I'm not wall hunting, but as I mentioned before. The property I'm on has extremely tight areas with bright white flat surfaces. So it's something that's unavoidable and literally in my face while I'm working throughout the night!
    Last edited by AZPops; 11-27-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZPops View Post
    Not sure if it’s proper etiquette to ask this question, so if it’s not please feel free to delete this post.

When my Rotary arrives, I was thinking of doing a mod to my T170 to eliminate the slight green tint it has in it’s beam. This is the first for me (doing a modification to a light) and wanted to ask who would you recommend I talk to about doing this ?

I understand that I'll void the warranty on the light, but I'd rather consider doing this then selling the light that has this tint in it which will more then likely mean that I'll take a huge hit on it if I did sell it!

Thanks!
    Go here (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hts-Discussion) and you should find the info you need.
    Ra 120/XPG -R4, Ra 100w, SC50W, H51+W, SC31W, H501W, Sunwayman V11R High CRI, DEFT FTP, McGizmo HD45, MR. Bulk Ti Dragon/RPM set, Mini 123W, 2 olight M20 Warriors, Alu ITP A3 & Ti ITP A3.

Quote Originally Posted by notsofast View Post
    Go here (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hts-Discussion) and you should find the info you need.

Thanks!

Brand new to CPF and flashlights in general. I've found the wealth of information extremely helpful if also a little daunting. Having read so much praise for HDS lights I have ordered a R1B 200 Rotary with a raised button from LEDfiretorches.co.uk.Living in the UK it should be in my hands tomorrow. Can't wait...... Thanks everyone for all the info. Next I'll need advice on rechargeable batteries and chargers. I'm sure a search will reveal all.

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

Skatenut: does the holder unclip from the part that goes on the belt? I'm wondering if that is a universal clip of some type?
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Flashaholic

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by smarkum View Post
    Skatenut: does the holder unclip from the part that goes on the belt? I'm wondering if that is a universal clip of some type?
    No, it doesnt. It's a small Tek-Lok, the holster plus Tek-Lok is one unit and unclips from or clips on to the belt. The Tek-Lok is fixed with two screws to the holster, standard Tek-Lok procedure. You could also carry the light parallel to the belt, if you wish, remove the screws, and fix it back to the lock after turning it 90 degrees.

Some pics, they say more than a thousand words.

Last edited by skatenut; 11-27-2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo

Flashaholic

Oh cool, didn't know that you can wear the light horizontally with that holster.
    Thx!

But that is only possible with the normal version, the heavy duty has no holes to turn it 90° because the belt adjustment slits interfere

Last edited by nutcracker; 11-27-2011 at 07:47 AM.