LED Flashlight Addicts Thread!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.p.

Enlightened
Howdy!

Since being "on topic" is always under such scrutiny here on CPF, I would like to propose a thread where the only topic is being off topic. A place for all of us "addicts" to post and chat about anything and everything. Lights, batteries, chargers, current events, family matters, scaring bears away, whatever. Hopefully we can get to know each other better, make some friends, and maybe learn something in the progress.

Only two rules:

1 - Treat others the way that you want to be treated. No being rude or trolling.

2 - No politics.

g.p.

Enlightened
Guess I'll start...

Hello,

My name is Greg, and I have a problem... :eek:

I can justify my "problem" (like most flashaholics) though. I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer, and I work 99% night shifts. I like to use that as the reason that I need so many cool lights, but in reality I don't like to get my nice ones dirty! :sssh: But I have them if I need them. ;)

My wife is supportive, although she finds it a little wierd. The kids love it, especially when camping or walking at night. And really, there are worse things to do with your time and money. I guess I just enjoy the time spent researching, and the anticipation of having something cool coming in the mail. Being in Canada the anticipation can last several weeks though! In the end it's great that you end up with something useful too.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
As fun as it sounds, this won't last. I've tried such things before and Empath, who is perpetually keeping me on topic against my will, (Hi Empath ;) ) closed it up in a hurry.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just the wrong forum for such a topic. I got a feeling it would either be closed or moved.

g.p.

Enlightened
Well that is sad if that's the case. I frequent RCGroups.com, and the "addicts" thread in the 3D flying forum is the busiest, fastest growing, most viewed (and most fun) thread on the whole site. There is no topic and the love of 3D flying is the common ground that binds everyone together. I don't see why the interest in LED flashlights can't be the common ground for us to come together and get to know each other here?

Hopefully the powers that be will be willing to think outside of the box and give it a try. The mods here do seem to be very strict at times (which is in the best interest of the site), but as long as we all behave, I don't see why they wouldn't want to drive up the post count at CPF? Post counts and membership numbers are what bring in the revune dollars after all...

If anything, it keeps the off topic posts out of the other threads.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Greg,
Your description of yourself was odd to read, as it pretty much describes me to a T, with the exception that I'm a chauffeur who drives folks around at night, and of course I need all kinds of lights to chase the darkness from my path.

I think you can guess my name :D.

I don't just enjoy the researching, I thrive on it. It's also the thrill of the hunt, finding that one light that has all the features I want at a price I can afford, and then when it arrives tweaking it that last little bit to make it as perfect for my purpose as I can.

What's cool though, is that after all that researching and tweaking, I'll end up with an excellent tool that I get to use every night at work.

I've recently discovered that in addition to my current 18650 based EDC, I desperately "need" a penlight for my shirt pocket. I've come to the conclusion that what I really want in a penlight is a 2xAAA HDS, with adjustable levels and an electronic clicky switch. Henry, are you listening?

Let's see, you said no politics...... but you didn't say no religion :devil:. Well, let me tell you....... on second thought, maybe I'll just leave that bell unrung.

Good luck with the thread, Greg. You're a brave soul. Be gentle with him, Empath.

g.p.

Enlightened
Empath, these guys don't seem to have much faith in you! This is your chance to show them how much of a nice, cool, easy going, brilliant, well dressed, forward thinking person you really are! :)

I just want to take the best part of my other favorite site and do the same here. Oh well, if it doesn't work out, at least I tried!

Derek - I may have to add religion to the list of rules, but we'll see how it goes. As long as everybody is respectful, I don't see a problem with asking those that pray to keep you and/or your loved ones in their thoughts during a time of need. If it goes beyond that it may become an issue. May seem a little strange now, being strangers and all...but hopefully we'll be given the chance to be regulars in this thread, and get to know each other after a while.

Last edited:

g.p.

Enlightened
The whole point is to unite LED flashlight addicts. If it's in any other forum, LED flashlight enthusiasts won't see it. If it's not allowed to work here, it won't work.

I'm hoping that some positive CPF members are willing to embrace this and give it a shot. Are the mods around here really that mean? They seem nice to me, but everyone appears to be too scared to join in. Come out of the dark and introduce yourselves!

:wave:

shane45_1911

Enlightened
Still wrong forum dude.
I don't come here to socialize on this sub-forum, I come here for specific info about LED-related lights. Threads like this just get in the way, especially when there are proper sub-forums suited to this kind of stuff.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually what we meant is that this is posted in the wrong sub forum. Would have been nice and trendy if it is in The Cafe but not here under the LED sub forum. People don't participate because it would be a waste of time knowing that it would be closed sooner or later.

g.p.

Enlightened
Still wrong forum dude.
I don't come here to socialize on this sub-forum, I come here for specific info about LED-related lights. Threads like this just get in the way, especially when there are proper sub-forums suited to this kind of stuff.

Then don't click this one thread. Those who want to unite can. Easy.

Actually what we meant is that this is posted in the wrong sub forum. Would have been nice and trendy if it is in The Cafe but not here under the LED sub forum. People don't participate because it would be a waste of time knowing that it would be closed sooner or later.
Pretty hard to get only those with the common bond of LED flashlights to constantly check in at the Cafe. Plus, once again, the point is to get to know eveyone in THIS forum...not the Cafe forum.

Either way, I'm starting to feel like I'm at an elementry dance trying to get all the boys off the wall at one side the gym, and all of the girls off of the other wall. I never would have thought in a million years that there was a more anti-social group than the socially awkward group of guys that fly RC planes. It's up to you guys to make it work or not, and I can't fight for it or make it work all on my own. If we all showed our general interest in it, then maybe we would be allowed to succeed.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
This is not the sub-forum for this type of chat - what is so hard to figure out???? This sub-forum is to discuss LED lights and related issues. Wow.

Rest assured this thread will be closed or moved when a mod gets here.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

There is a Forum for off topic posts it's called "THE CAFÉ" hold onto your hats I'm taking you there right now - Norm

PS
g.p. I suggest you don't try this sort of thing in the future, it's not up to you to decide to change the way we do things on CPF.
It looks like most members are happy with things just as they are.

Last edited:

cdrake261

Enlightened
Hello, my name is Caleb and I too, has this said addiction. I am currently a poor broke dishwasher guy with huge dreams and ideas, especially when it comes to flashlights. I am also a full time college student at Harrison College(going for network administrator), a full time father to one and another one on the way, and a full time husband. My wife supports my addiction with some eye rolling but she and I know that she wants a bright flashlight....especially after my new micro maglite addition to my collection(thanks Johnny Mac). I would like to become apart of the elite flashlight modders and builder, but I have to remind myself, "one day at a time, caleb."

I suppose it's not too late to create a thread showcasing my current collection of flashlights, eh?

g.p.

Enlightened
Oh well, I tried. I will fall into line and be affraid to speak up and try new things like all the rest now.

Empath

Flashaholic
Oh well, I tried. I will fall into line and be affraid to speak up and try new things like all the rest now.

Wait a week before you start; we'd like to make sure you understand.

You did create an off-topic thread in the LED Flashlight forum, then attempted to convince everyone else in spite of being advised to the contrary, that such is proper. Then, when a moderator performed the function of moving the thread to the proper forum, as he should, you decided to violate rule 8 by belittling the moderator's and the board's actions as extreme and suppressive. You're welcome to return in a week if you choose, and if you think you can tolerate a board such as ours.

Since the function of your thread was to usurp the role of The Cafe, and give it to a single thread in the LED Flashlight forum, and that role has been negated by moving it to The Cafe, then it serves little purpose any longer. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.