L2M stock tail cap w/ forward clicky & GITD?

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone :wave:

I am sorry for the nooby topic, but I am new to the flashlight modding scene. I just ordered an L2M shorty and I love it. The only thing I don't really like is the reverse clicky (I'm sure you've heard that a thousand times). So I want to somehow retain the stock cap but transform it into a forward clicky and also use the GITD cover.

Can you guys kindly show me where I can find the necessary parts and also where I can find some sort of DIY write up if something like that is even available.

Thank you! :huh:

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this is what your after. It is the forward clicky tailcap for the L2 and will fit the L2M as well.

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Ive been searching and reading countless threads... I just can't seem to find solid answers.. :\

Morelite thanks for the link. That tailcap looks nice but I wanted to retain my current tail cap bc I like how simple and stock it looks. I just want to somehow change the mechanism inside to make it forward clicky. I found the GITD covers:

http://www.lighthound.com/Oveready-...eFire-z41-tailcap-GID-Green-Color_p_3412.html

That cover is meant for the z41 surefire tailcap... will it also work with the basic stock solarforce tail cap?

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be able to just swap the guts from the forward clicky tailcap to your stock one.

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to just swap the guts from the forward clicky tailcap to your stock one.

Wont that be a waste? Are there not forward clicky mechanisms that can be purchased without purchasing a whole new tail cap?

I found out that solarforce L2M uses 14mm switch covers and they are here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/glow-i...lcaps-for-flashlights-14mm-green-10-pack-5714

Now all I need is a forward clicky mechanism and a DIY guide... I'm sure its fairly easy but I'd rather make sure I do it right the first time..

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Now all I need is a forward clicky mechanism and a DIY guide... I'm sure its fairly easy but I'd rather make sure I do it right the first time..

I have been searching for hours and I can't find anything solid... Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Lightdadark

Newly Enlightened
I just tried switching the internals from my L2T forward clicky into a stock L2 tailcap and it wont work. They have different thread sets inside. If you want a forward clicky just buy the S8 or S9 and then switch the boot to whatever color you want.

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses guys... I've read that thread already and it seems that there is more then one option here. Rather than order the wrong parts or physically ruining my tail cap I was wondering if there are any members on this forum who modify these tail caps? I've read about electronguru but I cant figure out how to contact him..

How much do you think it would cost to send my L2M tailcap to someone and have them change to forward clicky with GITD? Any one here willing to do this? I have a z59 cap I can sport in the meantime... :D

Thanks guys

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to offer premoded switches to be installed. Then solarforce made the S6 switch and killed my market. LOL!
So the smart way is to get that tailcap from soalrforce-sales.com or any other solarforce retailer

in my sales thread (in my sig line) you will find directions on how to use a needle nose pleirs to dissasemble both tailcaps. Then you just switch the PCB between the two....It is far less complicated than it sounds.
Iin the end it will cost you less and you will be left with a functioning backup switch.

PS GITD can be found from many sources but the one that Brian at shiningbeam sells are the best, staying brighter longer

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need to make sure you get Solarforce compatible switch covers. The ones that fit Surefire flashlights will fit your Solarforce, but, they won't work. The reason is that Solarforce molds a nub into the cover that extends down to add to the apparent thickness of it. You can take a sharp knife and cut this nub off ti make a Solarforce switch cover work on a Surefire, but, you can't easily modify one that fits a Surefire to fit a Solarforce.

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info guys... I think I have figured all this mess out... Since there isn't really a single thread covering this that I've found, I will try to organize it all in here.

There L2-S6* that I will be stealing guts from is here:
http://www.lighthound.com/Solar-Force-L2-Tailcap-with-Forward-Click-Switch-ver-L2-S6_p_3668.html

The GITD covers are here: (Can someone confirm that these have the necessary "nubs"?)
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-17/Assorted-Color-Silicone-Tailcaps/Detail

And the DIY guide that I'll be using is found here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...opins-for-Solarforce-L2-and-other-flashlights....

ALSO: If you do not want to go through the whole modding process yourself, you can simply purchase one of these:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?248047-McClicky-Upgraded-Solarforce-L2-S7-Tailcap

Thanks for all your help guys, please post any extra tips or info that you think would be helpful

PS- Does anyone know if there are any exposed O-rings in the bezel of the L2 that can be replaced with GITD ones? if so, what size are they?

Last edited:

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Nope, it doesn't look like they'll fit.

Hmm... I already ordered them today... I emailed ShiningBeam.com to confirm this.

If they do not... can I just squirt some silicon inside, wait for it to dry, and use it the same way?

It just needs to reach the switch, I'm assuming? If not, Can you direct me to the proper ones?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Hello TorchMe,

I just happened upon this thread and realized that I can help you if you're willing.

First, I understand your desire to retain the stock tailcap which is the same cap as used on Solarforce's base model, the L2, because of its glossy Type II finish. All the other Solarforce tailcaps are either Type III or simply not glossy.

Ultimately the upgrade I used on mine, will affectively double the cost of your entire L2M host, b/c you'll need a McClicky upgrade switch from either Lighthound ($21.99), currently out of stock (http://www.lighthound.com/Oveready-McClicky-Switch-Upgrade-kit-for-SureFire-z41-tailcap_p_3408.html), or from Oveready for ($21.00) + shipping,(http://www.lighthound.com/Oveready-McClicky-Switch-Upgrade-kit-for-SureFire-z41-tailcap_p_3408.html).

The problem from here is that trying to describe how to accomplish this upgrade, in written form, would be a cluster. And I don't have the capacity for photos at the moment. So if you're willing to purchase one of my McClicky upgraded L2 tailcaps, while covering the shipping, you would then have your forward clicky switch for your L2M and I would use the funds to buy another McClicky switch and then build another with my left over materials. If this is something you would be interested in, just let me know. BTW, I would not try to profit from such a transaction, I just want to offer my assistance.

Feel free to PM me if you're interested or for any reason whatsoever.

All the best,
John

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks John, I would jump on your offer but I already ordered an S7 tail cap.

So the S7 finish will not match the rest of the L2M?

jcalvert

Enlightened
Thanks John, I would jump on your offer but I already ordered an S7 tail cap.

So the S7 finish will not match the rest of the L2M?

As hard as you seemed to try keep the L2 tailcap with your L2M, I assume it was based on the matching glossy finish. The S7 is a satin finish and although it's not a terrible match at all, it's just not a perfect match. I have S7s, S8s, and a new S9 on my all of my L2Ps which all have the same Type III hard anodized, satin finish.

Are you planning on upgrading the S7 with a McClicky upgrade? Because otherwise, you've just gone from the L2M's reverse clicky, to the S7's twisty w/ momentary-on function. The stock S7 is not a forward clicky!

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Sorry John, I just realized... I'm not getting the S7... I'm getting the S6. The link I posted is for the S6 even tho I introduced it as the S7...

As far as I know, the S6 is a forward clicky. I was going to simply use the S6, or steal the S6 guts and put them in the stock tailcap.