SYSMAX Ind./Clike to find more about Nitecore flashlights!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

Flashaholic

Default Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

Could be an error, maybe. Where did you buy it from?

Default Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

I bought the PA40 with Smooth Reflector from this ebay dealer. New retail packaging:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JETbeam-PA40...item27be7f8c49
    Last edited by minnstars; 10-05-2011 at 10:18 PM.

You are the first to report this version, very unusual. How does the beam look? Any beamshots?

Tam

Even with SMO it should still be floody, the OP will really only smooth and transition from spot to flood a bit better. If you don't want it, I'd even consider trading heads with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggle View Post
    Even with SMO it should still be floody, the OP will really only smooth and transition from spot to flood a bit better. If you don't want it, I'd even consider trading heads with you.
    Sorry but I'm a newbie ... what does SMO mean. I will try to post a beam shot.

I might consider trading heads ... just curious why you would be interested in the smooth reflector vs. the OP.

Flashaholic*

SMO means smooth, OP mean orange peel. Smooth generally throws further than orange peel

Oooooh a throwier PA40? Sounds sweet! I'd love to be able to switch reflectors in my PA40 to suit my needs.

I think a PA40 with a SMO reflector would throw pretty damn well.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Quality View Post
    Oooooh a throwier PA40? Sounds sweet! I'd love to be able to switch reflectors in my PA40 to suit my needs.

I think a PA40 with a SMO reflector would throw pretty damn well.
    Yes, sometimes more throw is good, PA40 isn't a thrower even if it throws a bit at the highest mode.
    But I want to say that the wide hotspot of the present model also is very nice! Brightly illiminates a large area which is very useful a short and medium distances. The only of my flashlights which is better for this purpose is Malkoff Wildcat.
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

Ok ... I attempted to do some beam shots. No clue how to do this correctly, but I did include shots of a couple other "cheap" flashlights I own to give a perspective. These were taken at 1/30 of a second and F4.5. The camera used ISO 100 and auto white balance which looks a little more green / yellow than in reality. The wall I used is not perfectly clean. All flashlights are using off the shelf Alkaline AA batteries and are at about 50% of life.

The PA40 with smooth reflector 468 Lumens on High:

Fenix E21 150 Lumens on high:

Dorcy 41-4750 180 Lumens on High:

The Dorsey has an ugly beam, but has a lot of throw for an $18 flashlight!

Flashaholic

I remember reading that the Fenix LD40 has a "Parasitic Drain" on the battery while the flashlight is off. Since the Fenix LD40 and Jetbeam PA40 seem to be so similar does the Jetbeam PA40 have "Parasitic Drain"? Do they each have an electronic switch?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikellen View Post
    I remember reading that the Fenix LD40 has a "Parasitic Drain" on the battery while the flashlight is off. Since the Fenix LD40 and Jetbeam PA40 seem to be so similar does the Jetbeam PA40 have "Parasitic Drain"? Do they each have an electronic switch?

Thanks.
    The LD40 has a forward clicky, and it was the TK40's electronic switch which caused parasitic drain IIRC. The LD40 I've had has been using the same set of batteries for the past year without issue.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
    The LD40 has a forward clicky, and it was the TK40's electronic switch which caused parasitic drain IIRC. The LD40 I've had has been using the same set of batteries for the past year without issue.
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up. My mistake. So the PA40 does not have an electronic switch? It has a forward clickie so therefore it shouldn't have a "Parasitic Drain" issue? Is this correct?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Mikellen; 10-09-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikellen View Post
    Oh, thanks for clearing that up. My mistake. So the PA40 does not have an electronic switch? It has a forward clickie so therefore it shouldn't have a "Parasitic Drain" issue? Is this correct?

Thanks.
    It has an electronic switch for mode-changing and a mechanical switch which controls power. The TK-40 only had an electrical switch. I find that the mechanical on/off switch cuts power completely, or at least enough so that there's almost no drain.

The TK-40 is infamous for its drain as it always has to power the one electronic switch to remember what mode it's in, and to remember if it's supposed to be on or off. By default, it doesn't really turn Off when you hit the power switch - it just turns off the LED. Might also want to read the following.

www.lygte-info.dk/info/standbyCurrent%20UK.html
    Last edited by Haesslich; 10-09-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Flashaholic*

I have been playing with my PA40N a week now and I have to say I like it more and more. The tint difference between hotspot and spill isn't an issue at all in practical use. The beam profile is reminding of the beam of Malkoff M31/M61 dropins, and that's of course one of the main reason I like it. But also the nice design, decent hold with the carbon fiber body, and the useful brightness modes are important factors. I measured 3h50min stable output at 220lm mode with IKEA alkalines, which is very useful, even with cheap alkalines I will have such a high brightness for hours! The lowest mode of 2lm is comfortable for use with dark adapted eyes and when you don't want to lose all night vision.
    I find this flashlight as a bargain for the price!
    Last edited by Swedpat; 02-21-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    Wanted: Surefire G2 in tan. Tip me!

My collection Photos of my lights

Flashaholic*

Even though I've been with CPF since it began, I have to admit I haven't bought a light in a couple of years.

I happened upon selfbuilt's wonderful, (as always) review on the PA40 and I thought it looked like a great light. I liked that it was built with a Carbon Fiber reinforced body, HA3 aluminum head and it's runtime is substantial and general all-around usage is great not to mention it's simple accessed modes and handy 4XAA battery usage.

I started looking at the "Flashlights And Parts" board and sure enough, one, (neutral beam), and barely used with all accessories came up and I got a good deal on it.

This thing is bright and I LOVE it's bright corona and all-around beautiful beam quality.

It is also built like a tank! I'm really impressed with it's build quality. It's a large light for sure but it exudes quality. Good job JetBeam! Like others have said, it just feels solid, (it IS slightly heavy), but the quality feel of it is very pleasing and it feels like it will last a lifetime.

I say if you want a superior build quality light that's as rugged as they come, takes regular AA cells and is as bright as you will need, this IS the light for your car, truck or just all-around usage, it's one of the best choices out there.

My only complaints would be that I wish it had a side switch instead of a tail switch which would be so more intuitive than the tail switch. I understand that they might have been been worried about it accidentally being turned on putting into it's sheath or whatever but I would have loved a side switch with this light. I also must say that the "QUALITY SHEATH" isn't all that quality.

All in all, this is a great light and like Swedpat said, this light for what you get, is a bargain!

+1 on the PA40. Got mine in cool white from Bugoutgear a couple of weeks ago and it fits my needs nicely.

Things I like:
    • range of brightness: walking around at lowest and then really lighting up a broad swath of yard, trees, or road when looking for errant animals.
    • beam pattern: to my surprise, I like the floody pattern. More than enough throw on high.
    • runtime: keeps on going with Eneloops.
    • water resistance: need it in the Pacific Northwest - on land and in the kayaks.
    • AA cells: this is probably a mild neurosis about cell availability. No arguments here.
    Things I don't like:
    • clicky sensitivity: it's a bit touchy for my taste. The first one I received was so sensitive that it acted like the memory function didn't work. For example, I ran it on low for a few minutes, then turned it off. When I turned it on, it was supposed to go back to low. Instead, it immediately cycled to high, as if I did a partial click. I don't think I'm all that much of a klutz, but this was not reasonable. The quickly mailed replacement light (with return shipper -thanks, BOG) works much better. While my preferrence would still be a more delay in the partial / full switch debounce, I can handle it now.
    • switch position: For this shape (4xAA, two rows of two), it seems more natural to have a switch on the side, or top.
    • holster: this one is the open style with an elastic band around the middle and the velcro strap over the top. I prefer an enclosed carrying tube, since it lives in my pocket.
    Untested:
    • Plastic body toughness: I haven't dropped it yet. I'm curious if the "carbon fiber reinforcement" is more than marketing jive.
    • Neutral tint: gotta save up for this (or talk somebody into a cheap buy-out).
    Summary:

I think someone else has described this as a working light. I agree - people will just use it forever and not worry about comparisons to the latest and greatest chrome reverse 1e6 lumen models.

Flashaholic*

Welcome wis! I agree with all you said, though mine doesn't have a touchy switch. It's about right. I also totally agree that it should have the switch on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway View Post
    Lanyard Tail Stand

Later
    Kelly
    Bit of a blast from the past...I had those skeletons for Halloween as a kid...sorry, that's all I had to add!
    Last edited by mmace1; 10-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.

has anyone got anymore info about the output cool vs neutral? I am thinking about getting one of these and may go with neutral for the first time, but don't want to give up overall output?

also I can't find any beam-shots of the neutral.

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post
    has anyone got anymore info about the output cool vs neutral? I am thinking about getting one of these and may go with neutral for the first time, but don't want to give up overall output?

also I can't find any beam-shots of the neutral.

Thanks guys.
    You can find some beam shots of the neutral in this very thread - see here. I don't have any direct comparison beamshot to the cool version however so it may be difficult to judge the tint and output loss. I believe somewhere on CPF someone measured output loss compared to the cool version and it was minimal. I'd use the search function to confirm.

I just received a PA40 Neutral/Warm myself and it came with a SMO reflector. IMHO, the tint is preferable to that of my Olight i1 (slightly green). I have one of the older Quark AA2 Neutrals (XP-E) and like that tint a lot (just so you know what I'm into ). I like premium white tints as well, but figured the intended recipient (maglite user) would like the warmer tint.

I'm very impressed with the light overall. I plan to give this light as a Christmas gift...might just have to buy another one for myself!

thanks but I already bought 2 and got them last night. one is a x-mas gift. i really like this light. great output and tint is really nice. This is the first nuetral light I have had and I like it. I only had a few mismatched crappy regular AA's since my eneloops haven't got here yet but I wanted to try it out.

really like the simple UI and the battery indicator is a nice touch and should be on every light

great output and perfect spill/hotspot combo. I got a SMO
    Catapult V2 XM-L, ITP-E50, ITP-A3 EOS, TerraLux 220, JetBeam PA-40W, Thrunite TN31 & T10

BB, I just realized you had already found the other great thread for this light. Sway did a bounce test that revealed little difference in output between his cool and neutral samples.

Similar to some other users, I have noticed the 50% battery indicator came on after less than 10 minutes on Turbo using new Duracell alkalines. I have yet to test any Eneloops or lithium primaries.

I was really surprised to find that the head is barely warm after 6-7 minutes on Turbo. Comparing it simultaneously with my Quark AA2 (XP-E) on Turbo, the PA40's head is downright chilly!

Quote Originally Posted by dannstrait View Post
    BB, I just realized you had already found the other great thread for this light. Sway did a bounce test that revealed little difference in output between his cool and neutral samples.

Similar to some other users, I have noticed the 50% battery indicator came on after less than 10 minutes on Turbo using new Duracell alkalines. I have yet to test any Eneloops or lithium primaries.

I was really surprised to find that the head is barely warm after 6-7 minutes on Turbo. Comparing it simultaneously with my Quark AA2 (XP-E) on Turbo, the PA40's head is downright chilly!
    yea, it's only my first 24 hours with the light but i really love the neutral tint. it's perfect for me. love the easy UI. I can't wait till i get my eneloops XX 2500's which may even be here tonight.

I took the light to work with me today to so I could mess around with it, HEHE
    Catapult V2 XM-L, ITP-E50, ITP-A3 EOS, TerraLux 220, JetBeam PA-40W, Thrunite TN31 & T10

Flashaholic*

Again, I couldn't be happier with this light! With it's output and it's build quality, it really is a bargain! Heck, even the quality hard case it comes in is worth the extra money! This is a bargain light even at WHATEVER price you pay for it!

I find it a little weird that the head on my PA40W doesn't get warm even on Turbo. I know the "Hot" label is a bit superfluous on most lights, but I feel like it's especially true for this light. I'm not complaining, I was just under the impression that good heat-sinking would transfer heat to the head. Anyone else have a similar experience? Do you have to run it 60 minutes before it gets warm? I've only run it for about 15 minutes straight.

ANyone have both SMO and OP and could provide confirmation if indeed the SMO does provide a noticeable (and worthwhile) difference from OP ? I'm looking to pick one up, but before i do, i'd like to know. Thanks!

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by minnstars View Post
    Mine arrived with a SMOOTH REFLECTOR!? No orange peel texture on this PA40 ... Not sure if that's because it is from a old or new production run? The serial number is USE091900 051.
    I just ordered one off of Amazon and it also has the smooth reflector. I was kind of disappointed because I prefer the OP but the beam looks okay.

it is kinda hard to get the batteries out of the holder. I have to use something to pry them out and fell like I am ruining the wrapper of the cells potentially.

I do enjoy the light especially with the new sanyo XX eneloops 2500mah, nice run times

it is kinda hard to get the batteries out of the holder. I have to use something to pry them out and fell like I am ruining the wrapper of the cells potentially.

I do enjoy the light especially with the new sanyo XX eneloops 2500mah, nice run times

Enlightened

Try holding the battery holder in one hand with the negative end of the batteries toward your palm, then grip the closest battery with the pad of the your thumb on the same hand and pull the battery against the spring, the other battery will then have no spring pressure on it and it will come out easily. Like this...