I've come up with several different categories that photographers fall into. Which one are you?
1) The non-photographer (AKA normal person). This person will go to a shop and buy a cheap compact camera without previous internet research. They will use it on birthdays weddings and holidays etc. and be happy with it. They will keep it for a long time or until it breaks.
2) The gear hound. Usually male. This person will will only consider buying a camera if it contains phrases such as "1Ds" or "D3". As for lenses, the bigger the better and the more the merrier. This sad individual will spend hours upon end trawling the internet for rumors of newer and better equipment. Phrases such as "mark II" or "Aspherical element" cause particular excitement. Spends more time looking at cameras on the internet than actually taking pictures. Favourite hobbies include lens cleaning.
3) The girly girl. Usually female (but not always). Buys a camera based on how cute and pink it looks. Matching nail polish and lipstick is a bonus. Takes pictures of all her hot friends out clubbing and posts them on Facebook to make everyone else jealous.
4) The artist. This person would not be caught dead with a something as crude and vulgar as a DSLR as this would destroy "the moment". Likes retro styled cameras, prime lenses and probably still uses film. Shoots a lot of B&W and IR. Pictures usually have some sort of rebellious or controversial theme.
5) The purist. Usually male. Owns only one lens, usually a 50mm f1.8 (or equiv) but must be a prime. Must be manual focus. Again, probably still uses film. Spends more time doing yoga or tai chi than actually taking pictures. Owns a light meter for no apparent reason.
6) The Leica owner. Keeps camera locked in a glass case away from direct sunlight. The glass cabinet must be UV filtering to avoid fading and perishing of rubber parts. Keeps silica gel desiccant in cabinet and regularly dries it out in the oven. Probably has no friends.
EDIT: No need to perfectly fit a description to vote, just whichever fits your personality type the closest. e.g. you may be an artist and have a DSLR or a purist but own 2 lenses.