NiteNumen

View Poll Results: What kind of photographer are you?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • non-photographer

9 11.25%
  • gear hound

36 45.00%
  • girly girl

0 0%
  • artist

21 26.25%
  • purist

10 12.50%
  • leica owner

4 5.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of photographer are you?

Default What kind of photographer are you?

I've come up with several different categories that photographers fall into. Which one are you?

1) The non-photographer (AKA normal person). This person will go to a shop and buy a cheap compact camera without previous internet research. They will use it on birthdays weddings and holidays etc. and be happy with it. They will keep it for a long time or until it breaks.

2) The gear hound. Usually male. This person will will only consider buying a camera if it contains phrases such as "1Ds" or "D3". As for lenses, the bigger the better and the more the merrier. This sad individual will spend hours upon end trawling the internet for rumors of newer and better equipment. Phrases such as "mark II" or "Aspherical element" cause particular excitement. Spends more time looking at cameras on the internet than actually taking pictures. Favourite hobbies include lens cleaning.

3) The girly girl. Usually female (but not always). Buys a camera based on how cute and pink it looks. Matching nail polish and lipstick is a bonus. Takes pictures of all her hot friends out clubbing and posts them on Facebook to make everyone else jealous.

4) The artist. This person would not be caught dead with a something as crude and vulgar as a DSLR as this would destroy "the moment". Likes retro styled cameras, prime lenses and probably still uses film. Shoots a lot of B&W and IR. Pictures usually have some sort of rebellious or controversial theme.

5) The purist. Usually male. Owns only one lens, usually a 50mm f1.8 (or equiv) but must be a prime. Must be manual focus. Again, probably still uses film. Spends more time doing yoga or tai chi than actually taking pictures. Owns a light meter for no apparent reason.

6) The Leica owner. Keeps camera locked in a glass case away from direct sunlight. The glass cabinet must be UV filtering to avoid fading and perishing of rubber parts. Keeps silica gel desiccant in cabinet and regularly dries it out in the oven. Probably has no friends.

EDIT: No need to perfectly fit a description to vote, just whichever fits your personality type the closest. e.g. you may be an artist and have a DSLR or a purist but own 2 lenses.
    Last edited by monkeyboy; 08-02-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Default Re: What kind of photographer are you?

(Hey, where did your thread go?)

I don't find myself in your list. My favorite camera of the last 10 years was a point and shoot Canon. It had time lapse video. Nothing captures a landscape scene like time lapse. Could never replace it.

I now have a point and shoot S95 from Canon. I think as I am composing a photo and rarely take pictures of posing folks. Often, I am disappointed I don't have my old SLR for the fine control or depth of field. However, for the most part, I love that I can take a pretty high quality photo of anything I see, without having to lug around a separate bag.

I love to make photographs. I love the fact that I can see a shot right after making it (although the intense anticipation and joy of opening unseen prints has been lost). I love that I can carry a decent camera in my shirt pocket. I take at least a picture a day. I think phone cameras in general are rubbish, and are far from a substitute for even a decent point and shoot in your pocket.

I don't upgrade unless there is a reason. I guess I might like more optical zoom, but I don't miss it that often.

I am starting to think that more megapixels is a scam. I made great photos with my last camera that was only 3mP.

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Hello obijuan, from your post, I'd probably put you down as "the artist" even though it doesn't really fit my description. Time lapse video is definitely something an artist would do as it's sort of out of the ordinary. Also that you appreciate of DoF and high quality.

You really need more choices -

I have been taking pictures for a lot of years, I still do, on very rare ocasions, process and print B&W film. Yes, I still have a B&W enlarger and all the trays. I still have about 20 rolls of 35mm film in my freezer, plus a few 120 rolls. I still have and use, rarely, an old TLR camera. some of my best shots were taken with this camera. Everything is manual on it.

I have a modest collect of OLD Kodak Autographic cameras, Plus a bunch of 35mm rangefinder cameras.

Most of what I use now is digital. I have a DSLR with a few lenses. And a P&S waterproof camera. great for the beach and I use it in the water.

Added to all that - a couple of tripods, and a few camera bags to store everything.

I take a lot of pictures, digital is great for that. Just download them to a PC, do some basic editing and you are good to go.

I just did a wedding. I take lots of pictures of kids, scenes, flowers

I also have been scanning all my negatives and prints to my PC. That is a big, time consuming job. I sit with the scanner and I do this while I watch TV.. I made copies of all the pictures for my kids on DVDs
    Now I can see the darkness .

Closest I am is gear hound - but do a fair amount of traveling for work so use cameras then. Not as deep into it as in the past, but I can see myself edging back in again - less as a gear hound and more as a user.

I suck! I have a good artistic eye but no patience and a Canon Elph SD1000 that you need hands as steady as a rock to get anything decent. I need to invest in a better camera!

Quote Originally Posted by shao.fu.tzer View Post

I need to invest in a better camera!
    There are so many good choices for cameras now. All the newer ones take a lot of guess work out of taking the picture.

The category I fit in best is gear hound.
    It's not quite true though (looks in gear room to see 4x 1d bodies)
    I'm a working photojournalist, and motorsport photographer.
    Work supplies me with 2x 1d bodies, and an assortment of lenses (16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and shared "big guns")
    I also have my own cameras for when I'm not at work.

I bought my Mk2n and recently a Mk4 as they suit what I do, have excellent AF, weather sealing (very important for motorsport events during winter) and produce amazing files, providing I do my bit right)
    I bought my Mk2n before I started at the paper, but was happy to see they used Canon too, which means I can easily switch between cameras and all the buttons etc are in the same spot, and I can use them instinctively rather than hunt for the right button.

If I had too I'm sure I could do my job with a 350d, or the nikon equivalent, but the gear I use makes my job easier.

I did recently buy a Fuji X100 too and I am using it to have "fun" with my photography, the big SLR is just to big and heavy to carry around all the time, then little Fuji is almost pocket size, has a big sensor, manual controls and a nice sharp fixed lens (equivalent to 35mm f2 - it's a 23mm f2 on an APS - C sensor)
    Some of my favorite photos recently have come out of it, and some of those photos only exist because I actually had a camera with me, and didn't need to go and get the 1D
    flashlight collector by day
    flashlight user by night

@will I guess I should have had an "other" category. Kind of hard to categorize you but I'd say that the B&W processing and optical enlargements puts you in the artist/purist category even though you don't really do it anymore. Probably leaning more towards artist.

@shao, the gear hound in you wants to buy a top of the range tripod!

@Echo63, professional press/sports photographers are notorious gear hounds! Although they do actually make use of their equipment. In this case, the top-of-the-range gear is justified as it could make the difference between getting the picture and not. The extra cost would tend to pay for itself.

I put myself down as gear hound although I've recently sold off all my high end Nikon stuff and I'm currently cameraless (other than a few old film bodies and my phone). I'm thinking of getting one of these new fangled EVIL/mirrorless camera's. There's supposed to be a lot of new stuff coming out soon with Nikon and Sony making some big announcements on 24-25th Aug. These are my thoughts so far.

-Olympus E-P3 with panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
    -(rumoured) Sony NEX 7 with Zeiss 24mm f1.8
    -Fuji X100
    -Whatever replaces the Leica X1 (supposed to be a new Leica EVIL system coming late 2012 - early 2013 but I can't wait that long)
    -Upcoming Nikon EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one of these new fangled EVIL/mirrorless camera's.
    I have an older Kodak digital camera DX7590. This looks like a DSLR, but, no interchangrable lenses. It has the screen on the back and an electronic viewfinder. Nothing beats an optical viewfinder for seeing what you are about to take a picture of. The electronic viewfinder on the Kodak is good, but nearly as bright as an optical unit.

@Echo63, professional press/sports photographers are notorious gear hounds! Although they do actually make use of their equipment. In this case, the top-of-the-range gear is justified as it could make the difference between getting the picture and not. The extra cost would tend to pay for itself.

I put myself down as gear hound although I've recently sold off all my high end Nikon stuff and I'm currently cameraless (other than a few old film bodies and my phone). I'm thinking of getting one of these new fangled EVIL/mirrorless camera's. There's supposed to be a lot of new stuff coming out soon with Nikon and Sony making some big announcements on 24-25th Aug. These are my thoughts so far.

-Olympus E-P3 with panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4
    -(rumoured) Sony NEX 7 with Zeiss 24mm f1.8
    -Fuji X100
    -Whatever replaces the Leica X1 (supposed to be a new Leica EVIL system coming late 2012 - early 2013 but I can't wait that long)
    -Upcoming Nikon EVIL
    thinking about it now, I do fall into the gear hound category
    My list of photo gear to buy this year is a bit long (new laptop, 2x einstein640 lights and vagabond mini battery packs, pocket wizard MC2 recievers for the einsteins, 16-35 for the wife)
    And I would like a Leica M9 as a "fun Camera" but can't justify the cost, especially for something that only goes to 2500 Iso - I love the full frame sensor, sharp fast glass, small size and focusing system that works when it is very dark, but I don't like the price, or the top iso.

Monkey boy, if you have used an SLR with a real viewfinder you will hate the new EVIL cameras.
    I cannot stand a camera I have to hold at arms length (ep2 etc unless you shell out the extra for the viewfinder)
    There is a Ricoh with interchangeable lenses and a very very good viewfinder available as an accessory, kind of an odd camera though, the lens/sensor module detches from the screen/battery/memory module (and there will be other modules available too, like a projector, printer, and extension cables to allow you to hold the sensor/lens module separate from the body.

The X100 is a interesting camera, it's a bit funny with a few things, the focus-by-wire is a pain (lots of dial turning for a bit of movement across the focus range) but the AF is pretty good compared to some point and shoots.
    The hybrid viewfinder is cool, the frame lines move in the optical viewfinder (correcting for parallax) the digital viewfinder isn't great during the day, but is brighter in the dark, and doesn't suffer parallax, especially for macro stuff (it also shows you what's in focus, something that isn't always obvious in the optical VF)

Hopefully Fuji consider the X100 a win, and build something even better, Preferably keeping the sensor, fitting a proper rangefinder (but keeping the hybrid viewfinder for the shooting info and moving frame lines) and putting an M mount on the front of it.
    Price it reasonably and it should sell really well
    Fuji do have experience building good solid film rangefinders, remember the Hasselblad XPan ? - it was made by Fuji
    flashlight user by night

Quote Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post

Monkey boy, if you have used an SLR with a real viewfinder you will hate the new EVIL cameras.
    I cannot stand a camera I have to hold at arms length
    Well said +1

I found that as my budget increased as I got older, so did the size and weight of my camera. My last camera was a Nikon D3 and I found that I wasn't getting much use out of it simply because it's just too big and heavy to carry around all the time.

I don't want my next camera to be another DSLR. (unless the specs of the upcoming Nikon D800/D4 are too good to resist).

I found that as my budget increased as I got older, so did the size and weight of my camera. My last camera was a Nikon D3 and I found that I wasn't getting much use out of it simply because it's just too big and heavy to carry around all the time.

I don't want my next camera to be another DSLR. (unless the specs of the upcoming Nikon D800/D4 are too good to resist).
    They will be hard to resist - and even if they aren't, your a gearhead like the rest of us

I do understand what you mean though, I feel the same way, and is the reason I bought the X100.
    But honestly, if I was stuck with just the digital viewfinder on it, I wouldnt have bought it.
    I am fairly certain you will want the instant view and clarity that can only come from an optical viewfinder
    flashlight user by night

gearhead? what. nope, not at all..

Craig

That's almost exactly how I have always pictured you Craig.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review Malkoff MDC Review MY LIGHTS McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It, DoNotDelete It.

I belong to #1, I just like record what I am interested

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post

Craig
    Ok that proves I'm a gear head.
    I can tell it's a 70-200 f4 with 2x TC on what appears to be a XXD body
    flashlight user by night

Craig
    Uh oh, looks like you are well on your way to another expensive and addictive hobby!
    "What that thing needs, is more power." - Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Echo63 View Post
    Ok that proves I'm a gear head.
    I can tell it's a 70-200 f4 with...
    AHA! But can you tell if it's the newer IS version or not?

That is NOT the IS version !

Just the *wonderful* (plain) non-IS version.

Have one of these beauties myself, and I absolutely LOVE this lens !

AHA! But can you tell if it's the newer IS version or not?
    Actually I can't, there isn't enough resolution to count the switches.
    I'm guessing it's the Non IS version though (going by what I can see)
    flashlight user by night

you guys are great (non IS, yep)
    ...except it's a 7D body.

I win!

Craig

you guys are great (non IS, yep)
    ...except it's a 7D body.

I win!

Craig
    I knew it wasn't a 1d or xxxd body
    The 5d and 7d look close enough to the XXD range to be very hard to pick (the strap is normally the giveaway)
    flashlight user by night

I'm between number one and two. Not quite a photographer, but not rich enough to have top shelf gear. I'd like to be both someday. LOL
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Although it may sound wierd, I'm probably a mix between a 2 and a 5. I enjoy looking at other expensive gear but only has a Nikon F2AS with the only Nikkor 135mm f/3.5 AI. Yes, I still shoot film ><

Wink Re: What kind of photographer are you?

Just joined the forum as Iím starting to do night photography and need to learn all about lighting. Lance Keimigís approach in his book ĎNight Photographyí is the closest to what I want to do. Coastal and rural scenes, and anything different. I just love the idea of playing with darkness and light.

I think Iím a Ďgear houndí meets Ďartistí. Iíve been an Ďartistí (whatever that means) for years, but now love DSLR, though I only buy whatís best for my needs, and havenít been able to stop doing/learning about/ reading about/ talking about and dreaming about photography since I started a couple of years ago. I used to have other interests and other loves. Now itís just me and my gear out there in the most people-free places I can find.

Iím female, retired early, and finally free to please only myself and spend every waking hour doing something photography-related. I have no goal except to share what I do with friends or give it away. Making money for anything other than food, bills and rent has always complicated life too much, so Iíve never bothered. Prefer a simple life. True amateur. Do things purely for love

Itís been good to see such wonderful night photography on the forum. I need to learn those skills very badly. This morningís first attempts at taking static star photos was less than successful. How can I focus on the dratted things if I canít see them? . Still, thatís not for this forum. Just needed to vent

Flashaholic*

Not all leica owners are like that, my photography teacher was loaded, he owned several vintage leicas and let students borrow them.

Think I'm number one, my cheap canon powershot takes good enough images for me so I'll stick with it. To be honest I'm quite impressed with it, I was bought up on extremely cheap film cameras that were barely a step up from disposables, anythings an improvement over that.
    I cannot pretend to feel impartial about tint colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns.
    ~Sir Winston Churchill

The only camera I own is my 5 mp camera on my cell phone. The pictures are good enough, so I have no reason to use anything else. Why carry a camera when I have a cell phone on me.

Night photography is challenging. Lots of fun though. For the stars, try to set your camera on manual focus if it has it and set to infinity. Or pre-focus on a far away streetlamp then recompose to the sky and shoot if possible.
    TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE, but THREE is more FUN.
    My beamshot gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast