Olight

View Poll Results: What kind of photographer are you?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • non-photographer

9 11.39%
  • gear hound

35 44.30%
  • girly girl

0 0%
  • artist

21 26.58%
  • purist

10 12.66%
  • leica owner

4 5.06%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What kind of photographer are you?

Default Re: What kind of photographer are you?

Quote Originally Posted by EV_007 View Post
    Night photography is challenging. Lots of fun though. For the stars, try to set your camera on manual focus if it has it and set to infinity. Or pre-focus on a far away streetlamp then recompose to the sky and shoot if possible.
    If you are using a digital camera, check to see if there is a setting for 'Long Exposure'. This will reduce that amount of noise in the resulting picture.
    Now I can see the darkness .

Night photography is challenging. Lots of fun though. For the stars, try to set your camera on manual focus if it has it and set to infinity. Or pre-focus on a far away streetlamp then recompose to the sky and shoot if possible.
    I like a challenge and am learning fast, and you're right about it being fun, but unless there's a good moon it's inky-black around here so I need a stronger light source to get me to locations safely. But nothing like being out there the first time, seeing a great potential shot, and looking down that viewfinder.....at nothing at all

Auto focus and me never agree on things, to I don't use it. I work manually for everything but WB as I shoot RAW, and am finally getting comfortable with all the buttons, but focusing at night really is the hardest thing for me right now.

We're a bit short on streetlamps, though I can sometimes see distant lights from a neighbouring country. However, I will use your technique the next time I'm out and use lighthouse or buoy lights for the same purpose. I'll let you know how it goes in a new thread

Thank you for your advice. Very much appreciated. Really enjoyed looking a your 'Beamshots' thread too
    "It often seems to me that night is still more richly coloured than the day..."
    Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by will View Post
    If you are using a digital camera, check to see if there is a setting for 'Long Exposure'. This will reduce that amount of noise in the resulting picture.
    I've got a 5D2 (bank loan will be paid off in 2017, seriously ). A friend recently advised me to turn on the 'noise reduction for long exposure' setting and it's making a big difference. I get a bit impatient waiting for the 'busy' sign to go and let me take another shot, but that's the only drawback.

Thanks for the good advice. I think it's a setting that most beginners, like myself, don't even think about enabling, and I had the camera a year before it was pointed out to me by someone who saw lots of noise on one of my ND filter daytime shots.
    Van Gogh

Unenlightened

You can use the moon to focus on as well, usually works well. Setting the camera to infinity is not always the best thing to do as it is NOT perfect.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    I've got a 5D2 (bank loan will be paid off in 2017, seriously ). A friend recently advised me to turn on the 'noise reduction for long exposure' setting and it's making a big difference. I get a bit impatient waiting for the 'busy' sign to go and let me take another shot, but that's the only drawback.

Thanks for the good advice. I think it's a setting that most beginners, like myself, don't even think about enabling, and I had the camera a year before it was pointed out to me by someone who saw lots of noise on one of my ND filter daytime shots.
    When you have that setting turned on, the camera takes a DARK frame that is just as long as the long exposure shot. So if you took a shot that was 2 minutes, the busy light will be on for 2 minutes exposing the dark frame. Then the camera removes anything that the dark frame has on it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSR View Post
    You can use the moon to focus on as well, usually works well. Setting the camera to infinity is not always the best thing to do as it is NOT perfect.
    Thanks for the tip. I've just started shooting the moon as well, and don't have a lot of trouble focusing on that, so I'll try it out next time the moon, the stars, and me are all out together
    Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSR View Post
    When you have that setting turned on, the camera takes a DARK frame that is just as long as the long exposure shot. So if you took a shot that was 2 minutes, the busy light will be on for 2 minutes exposing the dark frame. Then the camera removes anything that the dark frame has on it.
    I know exactly what it's doing, and I'm very grateful to it - wouldn't want it to rush a good job . I just get fed up standing around in the dark waiting for it to finish, especially if I've just finished a thirty minute exposure. I'm not the meditative type so I'm working on trying to find something to do to keep me occupied and help the time pass...

I've heard that once I get more skilled I won't have to rely on in-camera noise reduction for long exposures. But that's all in the future.
    Van Gogh

Unenlightened

I know exactly what it's doing, and I'm very grateful to it - wouldn't want it to rush a good job . I just get fed up standing around in the dark waiting for it to finish, especially if I've just finished a thirty minute exposure. I'm not the meditative type so I'm working on trying to find something to do to keep me occupied and help the time pass...

I've heard that once I get more skilled I won't have to rely on in-camera noise reduction for long exposures. But that's all in the future.
    I have the same camera that you have and I find that I don't need the noise reduction. The main thing you "may" have to deal with is hot pixels, but, they are easy to get rid of with photoshop. H have several night panoramas that turned out really great, taken from Glacier Point in Yosemite. Took them at night and it was cold, which helps with the hot pixels.

You can shoot a dark frame at a later date (taken in the same conditions) and use that in photoshop to remove the hot pixels as well.

You should look into "painting with light" as well, it's really fun and will go well with flashlights.

I have a Canon 7D,G9 and a Pentax Spotmatic. Not a gear head because one cannot keep up these days. Camera's are "old news" shortly after being launched.

I carry a beat up, 18 year old SLIK U 212,heavy as an anvil,tripod, some old but good glass and my camera bag has more duct tape than nylon showing.

Maybe a mix of purist and artist? Oh yeah, an Iphone 4 with the Hipstamatic App.. Lottsa fun.

I've heard that once I get more skilled I won't have to rely on in-camera noise reduction for long exposures.
    That's not an accurate assumption. With long exposures, your dealing with "Dark Current Noise"

Dark current noise - http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=44298

Heat Generated by the Sensor
    The photons collected by the photosites on the sensor are converted to electrons.
    The sensor generates heat.
    The heat produces anomalous electrons.
    The camera converts them into image data along with the electrons created by photons.
    This noise is called dark noise or dark current noise.

Long Exposures - the heat produced by a sensor creates dark noise. The longer the exposure, the more heat is produced, creating more dark noise.

In the pre digital 1970's I shot lots of 1:1 macro shots, usually on Kodachrome 64. Now the lens is a Canon 100mm macro on a Canon Rebel XSi, normally shooting at ISO200. The majority of my shots run around 1 second at F/11 so noise isn't a problem. Even longer exposures like 76 seconds for trit vials come out with no noticeable noise. Really long exposures are where the issues crop up.

Thank goodness for PhotoShop
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Erich1B View Post
    Long Exposures - the heat produced by a sensor creates dark noise. The longer the exposure, the more heat is produced, creating more dark noise.
    I took a bunch of pictures of a lightning storm a few years back. I wanted to capture the lightning bolt with my digital camera. ( this was before I realized the was a long exposure setting on the camera ) The setup was simple, keep the shutter open for around 2 - 3 minutes. If there was a lightning bolt, start a new frame. There was a certain amount of ambient light and the sky, instead of being completely black had a gray speckled look to it.

Now I can see the darkness .

Can we please try to keep the thread on topic?

The thread is about photographer stereotypes and not photography technique.

Enlightened

Wanna-be gear hound (that's how I voted anyway) on a P&S budget, by body is a little older and I have lens envy...

I guess I would have to say artist but I do have DSLRs. I have a DSLR that I modified to only take IR photos. I shoot some 120 film. My big thing is macro photography (I like bugs).

me and my camera are not in the list no dslr, nor retro also i have enough knowledge. i love my canon S90. It is compact you can carry in your pocket, also you can adjust parameters as you want.

Following the above descriptions i have been kind of a gear hound with a list to artist at analog times.

Switching to digital two years ago i went more like something between artist and purist following the above descriptions.

Cheers

RBR
    Last edited by RBR; 12-14-2011 at 09:41 AM.

I suppose I might be a combination of Artist and Purist, though none of the stereotypes actually have a photographer who really focuses on photography rather than the equipment.

Considering I chose my last camera based on its fully manual capability (the Lumix LX5) so I could take photographs of torches and their beams could introduce another category of 'Flashaholic Photographer'.
    Subwoofer - Objective and Honest reviews
    Latest Reviews - @Subwoofer_CPF #SubwoofersReviews and Facebook
    ”The Torch Geek”

Admin formerly
    known as 'Sasha'

Ok... I read through the choices and I honestly can't say I fit any of the descriptions. Yes, my camera is pink... and yes, that is why I bought it. BUT!!!... it's a pink Sony NEX-C3... and I wouldn't be caught DEAD posting pics of "hot friends" on Facebook unless they are my derby girls... and the only "clubbing" they are doing is to each other.... My nail polish is usually black and I wear lip-gloss not lip-stick. I LOVE B&W photography... but leave the IR to my husband (he particularly enjoys taking pictures of my hair so he can show me how white it is under the color I get put on it every 4 weeks ). My FB albums have such titles as "Amateur B&W", "Flora", "Fawna", "Sunrises, Sunsets, Skies, Water", "Kayaking", "Road Trips", and "The Babies". I'm a purist in that I do not believe in "shopping" my photos with the exception of cropping, straightening, and adjusting shadows or highlights just a tad. My theory is that you either get the shot or your don't. Most photos that I post in my Facebook albums are straight off the camera with no editing. I had only one lens up until a few days ago... my wonderful husband bought me a 55-210mm, f4.5-6.3 for Christmas and it is the best gift EVER!

So... what am I?
    Mobile apps for CPF & CPFMP now available in Google Play & iTunes!
    Search for "CandlePowerForums" and "CPFMarketPlace"

Hard core Canon user here.

7D body, 70-200, 28-70 and hopefully the new Canon 100 IS macro. 580 exII flash and a whack of filters.

On the lookout for a carbon tripod and best rechargeable batteries for my flash.

Cheers!

JB

Quote Originally Posted by Greta View Post
    Ok... I read through the choices and I honestly can't say I fit any of the descriptions. Yes, my camera is pink... and yes, that is why I bought it. BUT!!!... it's a pink Sony NEX-C3... and I wouldn't be caught DEAD posting pics of "hot friends" on Facebook unless they are my derby girls... and the only "clubbing" they are doing is to each other.... My nail polish is usually black and I wear lip-gloss not lip-stick. I LOVE B&W photography... but leave the IR to my husband (he particularly enjoys taking pictures of my hair so he can show me how white it is under the color I get put on it every 4 weeks ). My FB albums have such titles as "Amateur B&W", "Flora", "Fawna", "Sunrises, Sunsets, Skies, Water", "Kayaking", "Road Trips", and "The Babies". I'm a purist in that I do not believe in "shopping" my photos with the exception of cropping, straightening, and adjusting shadows or highlights just a tad. My theory is that you either get the shot or your don't. Most photos that I post in my Facebook albums are straight off the camera with no editing. I had only one lens up until a few days ago... my wonderful husband bought me a 55-210mm, f4.5-6.3 for Christmas and it is the best gift EVER!

So... what am I?

Hmm.. difficult to place you
    The NEX-C3 is actually has quite a good image sensor, comparable to a decent APS-C DSLR (despite being pink) so I think this rules out "girly girl". Also, girly girls (and girly boys) would not understand the concept of interchangeable lenses. I think B&W and Skies (I'm guessing cloud formations) would place you in the artist category. Shooting IR with a digital camera requires the removal of the IR cut filter so you would need a separate camera for shooting IR.

The NEX system has 2 high quality primes coming out soon which would be ideal for the artist/purist type; the 50mm f1.8 OSS and the Zeiss 24mm f1.8.

Quote Originally Posted by jgbedford View Post
    On the lookout for a carbon tripod and best rechargeable batteries for my flash.
    JB
    Eneloops are definitely the way to go. They are ideal for flash guns as they will hold their charge for long periods of time ensuring that your flash is always ready to go. Make sure to use a decent charger and don't let them run down too low.
    For ultimate capacity, go for the powerex 2700's.

I use energizer lithiums (non-rechargeable) as I don't use the flash that much. The battery life is surprisingly good.

hopefully the new Canon 100 IS macro
    The 100 Canon macro is a killer sharp lens. Mine is non-IS but never gets used without a tripod (and a lens plate) and the body is always set for mirror lock up.

Like Greta, I didn't fall into any of the available categories. Most images are shot around 90% of desired size so there's room for just a little cropping, and apertures from f/16-f/22 see the most use. Haven't used a flash for years & haven't much missed it.

Many of my images show small details like the 1.5x5mm trit in the photo below:

Last edited by precisionworks; 01-01-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

[Crabby and discourteous post removed - DM51]
    Last edited by DM51; 01-02-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Who invited him?

Super Moderator

I just uninvited him.
    Resistance is futile...

You forgot an option: Smartphone photographer. You use your iPhone or Android to take photos, 99% of which get uploaded to some sort of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). You use the myriad of photography apps to muck about with your shots; some of which turn out great, most of which are rubbish.

That'd be me

Hmmmmmm... I dunno... I guess I'd be a `Gear Hound'?

I got my start back in the late '50s when my father passed on an old KODAK 35mm viewfinder. Then in the '60s I stumbled across the PENTAX Spotmatic w/42mm threaded lenses. After many years of dealing with threaded lenses I decided that maybe it was time to get a bit more `modern' and picked up a K1000 with the bayonet mount lenses. After getting used those it was onward and upward to an MX `system' eventually culminating with an LX `system'. I continued using both my MXs & LXs whilst dabbling with assorted Sony `Digitals', and after my father's `passing', a MINOX IIIs `system' (Pretty much complete with even the enlarger and tanks.).

Recently I have acquired a PENTAX Kr and a pair of K5s along with a small selection of the new `auto' lenses. One of the reasons, besides the disappearance of good old KODACHROME, I went and bought the new PENTAXes was that, with only a very few exceptions, I can still use pretty much all of my lenses I'd acquired for my film cameras. (For those who may wonder about my getting the Kr and then the K5s... I managed to score the Kr as a 2 lens `package' for almost half the cost of the body alone from a local shop that was basically wanting to get it out of their inventory. I'd already pretty much settled upon the K5s but figured that the Kr would be a good `first real camera' for my teenaged son to learn with. [No! I *didn't* let him `play' with my MXs & LXs! And, yes, I am probably a `mean old codger' for doing so! Even today *those* are still `my babies'.])

I dabble in landscapes, the occasional `portraits', of course `family' pictures, and assorted `macro' photographs. The most recent things I've been doing have been cataloging my wife's and I's antique glass and assorted coin collections. Of the two the glass photography has been the most interesting to do in that my wife collects Royale Ruby and Cobalt glass and I generally collect clear glass, mainly `salts'. I am still contemplating doing both pictures and beamshots of my flashlight collection but, haven't managed to "Get A Round Tuit".
    Doleo ergo sum,
    Halfpint
    Show me a piano falling down a mineshaft and I'll show you A-flat miner.

I am like a girly girl photographer. I love to capture pics but i dont have a good professional camera.