Help me understand the mechanics0Lithium ceels firing off
After reading a ton of threads about people blowing up their lights and injuring themselves I am wondering about the mechanics behind this and, eventually, a way to resolve these issues.
For instance, when I was younger I used 9v alkies with a wire between the prongs to cut plastic and carve wax. Now, using the wrong guage wire caused the wire itself to go white and pop. The right guage wire [[I missremember now]] and it got red and if left attached the batt might get hot and smell but never heard or saw one go off like a TNT stick.
So taking the same scenario using a lithium 18650[?] the battery itself would go off?
Reading it seems like it happens awfully fast but that is inside a metal tube.
Just thinking my way around the issue here and wondering about heatsinks built into the body of the light or a blowoff vent in the light tube with some sort of buffer between the batt/switch and module to soak away some of the heat.
Left the oil dipstick from my old jeep laying across the battery where it grounded with the carb. Saw the smoke coming from under the hood and managed to get it out before the dipstick melted one time.
Again this is just tossing around some random thoughts on the batteries going boom and the how's and why's how longs and warnings and so on.
Automatic ejection system using the heat sensing metal and a set of springs with an emergency 'eject' button if the temp goes above normal saving the light perhaps...
Re: Help me understand the mechanics0Lithium ceels firing off
Santana, the short answer is that Lithium batteries are a unique chemistry, contain a lot more energy, and have unique rules that must be learned and followed that are not like alkaline, NiCad, NiMH, Zinc, lead acid, or other previous batteries. You can read a little bit about the categories in this now 3 year old thread, but the best advice is to follow the "Source References" link in that thread to www.batteryuniversity.com