Long throw hot spot! Looking for upgrade 2 years later...

Milos

Newly Enlightened
I own 35W "Tactical" HID flashlight just like all these 40cm long Chinese 35/50/65W HID flash lights. Similar looking to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/65W-HID-Xenon-T...lashlights&hash=item415bc9af51#ht_5918wt_1163

Mine does some limited focusability. I'm not sure if they all can do this, as they all look alike and are made in China by probably two or three different neighbors :).

To me upgrade would be:
- better beam focusability, OR- fixed but narrower throw (better reflector design).
- More power
- size doesn't matter.
- Run time also not a huge deal as long as it is not less than 30min.
- Better on/off switch. Not a deal breaker, but these are just too damn soft. A fly can land on it and turn the beast ON!
- Battery drains while flash light is off for 4 weeks every time. This sucks as in few weeks you find yourself with dead giant flash light, ... so upgrade would be a smarter circuit that rains 0 power while OFF.

I would like an upgrade worth spending money on.

something like 50% to 100% brighter with same throw. Or, I would sacrifice some power for better narrower more focus able beam. I come from Laser hobby, so you can get the idea.

my budget is under $400 if i can get something worth an upgrade to already very powerful huge somewhat focus able 35W tactical HID i own. Over $400 i would like to considerations check out, but will not be able to justify at this time.

I understand that these 65W versions of what i have are probably not the highest recommendation. Do you think they are worth ~150$ as such comparing to what i have? Mine was $230 from www.tacticalhid.com 2 years ago.

all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Just buy the upgrade ballast, should be about $40 shipped. Very low risk. My 65W got 235k PBCP on the DX meter (the 200k one) which under-reads by at least 7% or something. But for yours 2 years old, can the battery take the additional strain?

I can't measure the input power, but then compared to known XM-L lights and a 2-white-wall + white ceiling bounce, it is in the 4000 lumens range.

Milos

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight i have has been used very little. Probably less than 15min of On time in 2 years. Most of it i used two nights ago, and i had a blast!!! :laughing: so i crave for more power.

any other suggestions. Is there anything else in the price range?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need bigger reflector for throw
There is one version of this type of Chinese HID with 4" head, but you'll have to search hard on Aliexpress, not easy to find.

Enlightened
Nice to hear that you have the "urge". Welcome back flashaholic! There are lots of info to do a search here.

How about finding a Thor host? The biggest is 9" reflector, the Thor X Colossus. Think its about $55 there. A 100W HID kit is usd89 shipped to your place i'd believe. Or if you can afford to spend more its usd108 via DHL to USA so you don't have to wait.