DX.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brightest light for $100 or less?

Default Brightest light for $100 or less?

What's the brightest light you can find (buy or build without advanced tooling) for $100 or less? (Charger not included)

Same question, but make it a long thrower (probably aspheric?).

Nothing that runs off the mains!

Default Re: Brightest light for $100 or less?

Really? Nobody even has an opinion? Not even throwing out "Get a cheap XM-L from Dealextreme, $28."

Thought y'all knew about flashlights. Maybe I came to the wrong place. :P

look at the fenix line, t series. going into the 300+ lumen territory for under 100. The reason why no one responded probably is there are tons of threads asking this question or similar questions. Searching is your friend
    What do I think about the U.S. involvement in the war? We should win it.

Get that ridiculous SkyRay/Trustfire/Fandyfire 3xXM-L T6 monster. Only $50 and definitely brighter than the majority of if not all $100 lights.

I know it's hard to imagine, but there are 100's of threads similar to this one in theme...many are identical.

I think it is an accepted practice to search exhaustively first, and then post a question.

Seriously, with 515 posts...shouldn't you have read some of these threads already?

obi
    Stay sharp and bright for life.
    Have your knife and light handy at all times.
    Sent from a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Obijuan Kenobe View Post
    I know it's hard to imagine, but there are 100's of threads similar to this one in theme...many are identical.

I think it is an accepted practice to search exhaustively first, and then post a question.

Seriously, with 515 posts...shouldn't you have read some of these threads already?

obi

exactly what I was thinking haha I dont have a ton of posts, but mostly because I do more reading than posting
    What do I think about the U.S. involvement in the war? We should win it.

Rando - kind off agree with everyone else. It's a question that's been beat to death and with the lack of details of what you are looking for it makes the question very vague.

Even so, were I to answer your question it would be with a light I feels is best all around in the approx price you are looking and would say either a Fenix TK35 which is bright and has good throw or a Deerelight DBS v3 with a high power XML drop-in which again is very bright and can push the light out.

Flashaholic*

Actually the "Get a cheap XM-L from Dealextreme, $28." that you mentioned with 700-800 Lumens may be your best bet.

I picked up the Skyray 3XML for $55 and it is my brightest light by a large margin, plus with 18500 IMRs it is fairly small.

Thing is, I haven't bought an off-the-shelf light for a couple years (before the XMLs and SST-50s came out) and the last light I built for myself was a ROP. I know there have been a ton of huge increases in LED technology in that time and to be honest, I haven't kept up. I know there are other threads out there, but there are also threads advocating the Fenix P1 for it's extreme brightness. Not necessarily the latest technology for the buck. So as time goes on the answers change... Thanks for taking the time to share with a slightly out-of-touch flashoholic though (no sarcasm intended).

Walmart has - or had - a Stanley HID for about $70-80 or so. Big and heavy (with a 12v lead battery!), but the light output would be hard to beat for that price. From the top of my head - 35w HID should give 3500 lumens or so (take this figure from my rusty memory with a grain of salt, but I'm sure the CPF crowd will not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

The ability to run from a 12v power source makes it a great searchlight for vessels or vehicles - but not much else. (30-45 min runtime, max). Big and heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by jankj View Post
    Walmart has - or had - a Stanley HID for about $70-80 or so. Big and heavy (with a 12v lead battery!), but the light output would be hard to beat for that price. From the top of my head - 35w HID should give 3500 lumens or so (take this figure from my rusty memory with a grain of salt, but I'm sure the CPF crowd will not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

The ability to run from a 12v power source makes it a great searchlight for vessels or vehicles - but not much else. (30-45 min runtime, max). Big and heavy.
    Lol. Funny you should mention that. How's $10 sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Lol. Funny you should mention that. How's $10 sound?
    That sounds like "clearance" and "there won't be ANY hope of picking one up when I go to U.S. next month". Bummer.

Flashaholic

Jetbeam bc40 $80 , 830 lumens, BIG powerful beam, simple ui, extremely well made, imo the best value, quality and output on the market for under $100.

Quote Originally Posted by swan View Post
    Jetbeam bc40 $80 , 830 lumens, BIG powerful beam, simple ui, extremely well made, imo the best value, quality and output on the market for under $100.

ill 2nd that.........

Enlightened

Just got one x3

Quote Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
    ill 2nd that.........
    hi there! i spoke to an online reseller, he said that the build quality of the BC40 is not good, is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by daytec View Post
    Just got one x3
    But guys, in the 800+ lumen range in the 100 dollars or less, its only the TK35 and the BC40, nothing else?

+1 for TK35 and BC40.

Flashaholic

Roadkill,if you check out the review of the bc40 by Selfbuilt [legend] you will find comprehensive real world testing and comparison.I would disregard an "online resellers" opinion and check it out on cpf for yourself. My bc40 has performed beyond expectations and the build quality is outstanding ,imo theres nothing better for $80-marty.

Flashaholic

+1 on the TK35
    Flashlight Selection Process: Pick any two, and only two of the following: Bright, Cheap, Long-Runtime.

Enlightened

+1 on the TK35
    Minimag/Fenix LD-15/Fenix HP11/Jetbeam TC-R2/Fenix TK35/Nitecore TM11

The BC40 is part of JetBeams budget line. Therefore, the quality might be a little bit lower in comparison to very high quality of the JetBeam premium line. But this doesn't mean that it is too low.
    I have the TK 35. I like it, because it fits into a jacket pocket and the two button interface is a very intuitive way to operate a light with four modes.

Like most people have already said BC40 or Fenix TK35. There are of course more lower end models as well with decent output although not as high as the first models mentioned above. Who here has the Skyray 3XML...? Any comments on the build quality..?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Flashaholic

$9 more puts a spark SL6-800 in your hands

+1 with Erzengel,
    I also have the TK 35. With the 820 lm, and it small size, it is one of the best pocket rockets on the market.

I don't find lights that put 2x18650 end to end very carry friendly. They are too long for any coat pocket and are generally top heavy in the front. The size and weight of the TK35 means that you can carry it easily in a coat pocket (and it has a nice holster)

The EagleTac M2SC4 (and similar models) may look very close to the TK35, but they are wickedly front heavy and very awkward to carry. The TK35 actually balances very nicely in the hand.

Another light to mention (although more floody) is the SC600. Selfbuilt just posted a flying colors review of this light! If I went camping and had a TK35 and a SC600 with me I couldn't see needed another light the whole trip except for maybe an single AA light as a backup. (yeah - who are we kidding, I am a flashaholic so I would still bring 5 or more others)

TK35 is the best for it's built and power
    LOVE ME A NEW LIGHT

Flashaholic*

Go for chinese SST-90
    Impratical due to heatsink but definitely suits your condition

DRY 3xCREE XM-L T6 Cool White / Warm Tint 2500-Lumen 3x18650 Hi power Flashlight

This light should be even brighter than the SkyRay, Trusfirer, Fandyfire 3x XM-L