Brightest light for $100 or less?

Rando

Enlightened
What's the brightest light you can find (buy or build without advanced tooling) for $100 or less? (Charger not included)

Same question, but make it a long thrower (probably aspheric?).

Nothing that runs off the mains!

Rando

Enlightened
Really? Nobody even has an opinion? Not even throwing out "Get a cheap XM-L from Dealextreme, $28."

Thought y'all knew about flashlights. Maybe I came to the wrong place. :p

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
look at the fenix line, t series. going into the 300+ lumen territory for under 100. The reason why no one responded probably is there are tons of threads asking this question or similar questions. Searching is your friend

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get that ridiculous SkyRay/Trustfire/Fandyfire 3xXM-L T6 monster. Only $50 and definitely brighter than the majority of if not all $100 lights.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's hard to imagine, but there are 100's of threads similar to this one in theme...many are identical.

I think it is an accepted practice to search exhaustively first, and then post a question.

Seriously, with 515 posts...shouldn't you have read some of these threads already?

obi

fireluvrandrew

Newly Enlightened
I know it's hard to imagine, but there are 100's of threads similar to this one in theme...many are identical.

I think it is an accepted practice to search exhaustively first, and then post a question.

Seriously, with 515 posts...shouldn't you have read some of these threads already?

obi

exactly what I was thinking haha I dont have a ton of posts, but mostly because I do more reading than posting

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rando - kind off agree with everyone else. It's a question that's been beat to death and with the lack of details of what you are looking for it makes the question very vague.

Even so, were I to answer your question it would be with a light I feels is best all around in the approx price you are looking and would say either a Fenix TK35 which is bright and has good throw or a Deerelight DBS v3 with a high power XML drop-in which again is very bright and can push the light out.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually the "Get a cheap XM-L from Dealextreme, $28." that you mentioned with 700-800 Lumens may be your best bet.

E1320

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Skyray 3XML for $55 and it is my brightest light by a large margin, plus with 18500 IMRs it is fairly small.

Rando

Enlightened
Thing is, I haven't bought an off-the-shelf light for a couple years (before the XMLs and SST-50s came out) and the last light I built for myself was a ROP. I know there have been a ton of huge increases in LED technology in that time and to be honest, I haven't kept up. I know there are other threads out there, but there are also threads advocating the Fenix P1 for it's extreme brightness. Not necessarily the latest technology for the buck. So as time goes on the answers change... Thanks for taking the time to share with a slightly out-of-touch flashoholic though (no sarcasm intended).

jankj

Enlightened
Walmart has - or had - a Stanley HID for about $70-80 or so. Big and heavy (with a 12v lead battery!), but the light output would be hard to beat for that price. From the top of my head - 35w HID should give 3500 lumens or so (take this figure from my rusty memory with a grain of salt, but I'm sure the CPF crowd will not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

The ability to run from a 12v power source makes it a great searchlight for vessels or vehicles - but not much else. (30-45 min runtime, max). Big and heavy.

Rando

Enlightened
Walmart has - or had - a Stanley HID for about $70-80 or so. Big and heavy (with a 12v lead battery!), but the light output would be hard to beat for that price. From the top of my head - 35w HID should give 3500 lumens or so (take this figure from my rusty memory with a grain of salt, but I'm sure the CPF crowd will not hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

The ability to run from a 12v power source makes it a great searchlight for vessels or vehicles - but not much else. (30-45 min runtime, max). Big and heavy.

Lol. Funny you should mention that. How's $10 sound? :)

swan

Banned
Jetbeam bc40 $80 , 830 lumens, BIG powerful beam, simple ui, extremely well made, imo the best value, quality and output on the market for under $100.

swan

Banned
Roadkill,if you check out the review of the bc40 by Selfbuilt [legend] you will find comprehensive real world testing and comparison.I would disregard an "online resellers" opinion and check it out on cpf for yourself. My bc40 has performed beyond expectations and the build quality is outstanding ,imo theres nothing better for $80-marty.