Variation on the Bug out Bag

brembo

Enlightened
Over the last few years I carried a small bag filled with commonly used items. Not strictly survival items, but more in line with "damn, if I only had a XX tool right now".

It's gone through a few evolutions and refinements over time. I began with a fairly pointed objective, and that was dual-sport/offroad emergency repair. In the beginning it was loaded with a well thought out set of metric tools and various items motorcycles consume. That bag still exists but is now in my camelbac hydration systems pouch. I made one for day-to-day life as well.

Tools still rank high on the "if I only had that..." list so there is a broad cross-section of tools in there right now.

Tools:
Phillips and slotted screwdrivers
Small adjustable wrench
Pliers, regular and needlenose
Wire nips
Beater knife, carbon steel at least
Razor knife with 10 or so blades
Electrical tape and a few wire nuts

Meds:
Tums
Aspirin
Tylenol
Dramamine
Benedryl

Odds and Ends:
Spiderwire, about 200 feet of 12 pound mono-gauge, holds maybe 50 pounds, amazing stuff
Enough TP for 3-4 trips to the loo
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Deodorant
Microfiber towel (12"x12")
Safety glasses (yes, I use them, my eyes are important to me)
Chewing gum
Pen and pencil, Sharpie

And finally, things that make photons happy:
Handful of lithium primaries
Xeno E03 (newest addition)
Cottonpicker's ultra-mini charger with voltmeter (it's soooo small).

It's to the point now where people assume I'll have what is needed at any time. At work people come to me rather than the office for medical needs (tummy and head most of the time). Friends used to mock my "man bag" but now they show some grudging respect for my bag-o-goodies. It's a small bag. 12"x6"x4" maybe, kinda weighty tho. I feel rather at a loss if this bag is not within a quick walks distance from me. I've come to depend on it.

Anyone else have a bag of stuff that ya drag around on a daily basis? I'm always up for new things to cram in there.

Imon

Enlightened
Couldn't a nice multitool cover most of your tool needs?
As for your meds do you carry any antibiotic ointments and band-aids? Also you should consider carrying some hydrocortisone - great for reducing itches, rashes, and inflammation.
Anyways, good for you for carrying a man-bag. I'm sure most of us would rather ask for directions before carrying a man-bag.

Illum

Flashaholic
Personally I'd consider at least two flashlights, one with the ability to run alkalines. Assume stores do not carry lithiums. Don't occupy too much of your bag with batteries since weight is sometimes a concern. Oh, toss in something that'll help you out in a tight corner but doesn't take up too much space, a small single stack 9mm pistol for example. a beater knife is good, but remember...proximity negates skill, distance is your friend in a civil defense emergency

gee... come to think of it, I need to figure out what stuff are in mine, at this point I'll bet most of the batteries have expired by now :ohgeez:

Last edited:

brembo

Enlightened
Couldn't a nice multitool cover most of your tool needs?
As for your meds do you carry any antibiotic ointments and band-aids? Also you should consider carrying some hydrocortisone - great for reducing itches, rashes, and inflammation.
Anyways, good for you for carrying a man-bag. I'm sure most of us would rather ask for directions before carrying a man-bag.

Man-bag is what people call it when trying to get me riled up. It's a canvas tote with handles, no straps or the like. Think along the lines of what telecom folks carry around. Satchel?

*edit*

Ohh, multi-tool. Now that is a good idea. I've got a Gerber around here somewhere.

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Man-bag is what people call it when trying to get me riled up. It's a canvas tote with handles, no straps or the like. Think along the lines of what telecom folks carry around. Satchel?

*edit*

Ohh, multi-tool. Now that is a good idea. I've got a Gerber around here somewhere.

I said a nice multitool, preferably a Leatherman, not a Gerber.:p

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree about the limitations of the Leatherman. The knife and pliers are pretty good, but I definitely prefer separate screwdrivers for any serious task.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
TEDs

Anyone who has ever had TEDs prescribed for them for any reason should retain them and keep them in their BOB. Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is a real killer under normal circumstances with normal access to emergency services but if it strikes while you are bugging out you will probably be toast.

When you bug out, at some point you may really have no idea of your next destination or mode of transport. History has demonstrated this over and over again. Sitting still for 14 hours in a crowded auto (or train, plane, boat or donkey cart) will be fatal for some. I mention this as CPF's demographics include many who should be aware of this item that never seems to be included in bug-out-bag lists.

Thanks for reading.

nightshade

Enlightened
I may suggest foam type earplugs and a bandanna or dust mask. All are light weight and take up minimal space. I like to carry a hybrid, at the very least:
http://www.theairbandit.com/story.html

Also, duct tape and a wallet magnifier are useful items too. Little length of food grade 1/4" tubing can be used for endless improvising. Not a be all or end all-just a couple of suggestions. So many useful things are small and lightweight.

na1lb0hm

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Get Home bag/vehicle in my vehicle at all times:
6 in 1 multi hammer
zip ties
small camp stove
nails, screws and duct tape
super glue
emergency blanket
5 candles
Tylenol, aspirin, immodium, zantac
sewing kit, saftey pins
air compressor
booster cables
removable bit screw driver
first aid kit
c123a and aa
matches, lighter, cotton and a flint fire starter
tin cup and pan
oatmeal and granola bars
socks, underwear, thermal underwear, toque, gloves, ski goggles and neck warmer
2 flashlights
50 rounds of 22.lr
emergency tire patch kit
2x replacement head lights
Cell phone charger
cash and coin rolls

I think thats about it. might have forgotten something, as I haven't checked it in a month.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Mines more of a vehicle recovery kit / oh crap - I'm spending the night here type of kit. It contains;

Tow strap (5m long), 2 x bow shackles (all rated 5+ tonnes), gloves, duct tape, 1 x 123 light and 4 spare batteries, mora knife, zip ties, 2 x emergency blankets, multi tool, 2 x MRE packs, tea lights and lighter. This all fits in a peli style case and lives in the car year round. There is also at least 2L of water. During the winter there will also be some munchies and a snow shovel. There is also a first aid kit in the car and of course all the junk in my pockets and bag.