Need help choosing P60 drop-in for a pocket rocket

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I was totally set on saving my money, inspired by a 7% raise to center my build around a VanIsleDSM >1600 lum quad in neutral. Now I'm confused. I saw this post and my little brain went pop.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...hots-of-XM-L-XP-G-Triple-XP-G-Quad-and-SST-50

Love the insane wall of light from the Van, really like the throw of a NB XM-L regulated at 3.1A. People like the Thrunite XM-L drop-in for having nearly the same throw with fewer lumens. The classic trade off is lumens, throw & heat/run time.

Here is what I'm looking for
1. less than $350(prefer)
2. 1000+ lumen (so bright it will pop eyes like popcorn!)
3. 5-10 minutes on highest level
4. 30 minutes on mid with mid >300 OTF lumens
5. Package run on 18650 or 2x 18350

Drop-ins I have been weighing
VanIsleDSM
Moddoo triple XPG V3
NB XM-L driven at 2.8 or 3.1A
Is it even a possibility? What do ya'all suggest?

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
True, but I understand that this is if they are close up what about at 50 paces, and can it keep poppin' eyeballs for 10 minutes? Aye, theres the rub!

OneBigDay

Enlightened
You might also check out this thread for some interesting points of view as far as quads and triples are concerned.

Why so many Quads and Triples for sale

I started the thread and then shortly thereafter received my VanIsleDSM Quad. I pretty much agree with the general theme that surfaces in that thread. The Quads and triples are good for a wall of light, but just does not have the same wow factor as something with more throw.

In general I favor floody lights, but there is a limit to it and for me the VanIsle Quad passes my threshold. I want at least some throw and in a decent reflector a hard driven XP-G or XM-L is more impressive in most situations than the Quad IMHO. :shrug:

From what you are looking for in OP, I would say try a Nailbender 2.8 or 3.1 amp XM-L. It may not be as cool looking or sounding as a quad or triple, but it offers an outstanding mix of flood and throw. If you must have 1000+ lumens in a P60 setup, then the only option is to go with a triple/quad. In the end I would decide on a beam profile that fits your needs and go that direction instead or purely worrying about lumens. Just my $.02.

I think I saw your hat in the ring in the TnC 1x26650 P60 interest thread. If they come into existence that host would be awesome with the Nailbender 3.1 amp XM-L.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
You might also check out this thread for some interesting points of view as far as quads and triples are concerned.

Why so many Quads and Triples for sale

I started the thread and then shortly thereafter received my VanIsleDSM Quad. I pretty much agree with the general theme that surfaces in that thread. The Quads and triples are good for a wall of light, but just does not have the same wow factor as something with more throw.

In general I favor floody lights, but there is a limit to it and for me the VanIsle Quad passes my threshold. I want at least some throw and in a decent reflector a hard driven XP-G or XM-L is more impressive in most situations than the Quad IMHO. :shrug:

From what you are looking for in OP, I would say try a Nailbender 2.8 or 3.1 amp XM-L. It may not be as cool looking or sounding as a quad or triple, but it offers an outstanding mix of flood and throw. If you must have 1000+ lumens in a P60 setup, then the only option is to go with a triple/quad. In the end I would decide on a beam profile that fits your needs and go that direction instead or purely worrying about lumens. Just my $.02.

I think I saw your hat in the ring in the TnC 1x26650 P60 interest thread. If they come into existence that host would be awesome with the Nailbender 3.1 amp XM-L.

Thank you OneBigDay. I think that is some of the most on-target advice I have received in a very long time. Extra thanks for the correctly noting my interest for the 1x26650 P-60 thread. My hope and anticipation is that a 1x26650 body will come around and allow me to build an amp hungry thrower that also has some nice spill. Your 2 cents are much appreciated and well received.