Polystinger kind of a let down

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
Well my work just got in my xenon polystinger that I have been waiting on anxiously. And I got to say I'm kinda disappointed in it. I charged it for about 10 hours like it said to do and it is on its first charge I don't know if that matters. I compared my 4d cell original maglite, polystinger, 2d 2nd gen led maglite , and my maglite xl100. And that is the order from worse to best. My xl100 won as far as I am concerned and my 2d led mag was actually better than the streamlight. I was sure my poly would be my new toy but I don't know. I kinda like the white light of the led. The xl actually had the best overall flood and throw.

Is there a led drop-in for the poly or am I just stuck with the xenon bulb?
4ac09e7e-65bf-639b.jpg

Left to right is worse to best

4ac09e7e-65fd-d982.jpg

Left is xl100, middle is 2d mag, and right is poly
Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've had Poly Stingers that look better than that. Usually I charge a Stinger for about 16 hours prior to using, when new. We are talking about 100 lumens, or so for the Incan Stinger. What I have done to improve output is use a SL Strion incan bulb.

Bill

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one. It's alright. Looks a lot better than that photo of yours. The LED version is a lot brighter.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's definately something wrong with the bulb if it's red like that. I would recommend getting the LED version instead...maybe you can get them to return it.

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
I think the fact that I took that picture off my 5 mp camera phone makes it look more red than it was. It was more yellow than red.

Does anyone know if that front will fit on the polystinger. That is what I want something in that pricerange to go led.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the Terralux LED conversion for the Stinger. Current production - of the three I've seen - is much better in brightness, color and beam than my first, original production model.

Officially, the Terralux head does not fit the Polystinger since the thread is slightly different, but it can be forced.

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I had both the super stinger/HP and the ultra stinger, if the beam looked yellow i'd take a look at the battery first before the bulb. Your's might have been laying around in the box and has a bad/dead cell in the battery stick. If you have a meter see what it's charged voltage is. those lights were bright and should look very white fully charged

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Me again. I agree with Vinniec5. That or the charger. I would go with a generic aftermarket NiMh battery pack. I have a couple of Stingers, and an older model SuperSinger, and they do need to have the battery packs changed out every so often. Great flashlights. I notice that most auto shops I frequent use the basic stinger.

Bill

sand1303

Newly Enlightened
42576232-5405-48b3.jpg
Well after much charging it doesn't seem as yellow. I now leave it on my car charger they supplied. To me it looks whiter but I still am not fully happy though. I mounted it in the work truck. This is the best spot I could find on the Ford ranger that was easily accessible.

So the Terralux dropins I have seen for the stingers say they are not compatible with the polystingers. It is because the threads? If it is forced on does it damage the threading bad to if i had to turn it back in I couldn't switch it back?

Last edited:

SG688

Newly Enlightened
sand1303;3716874So the Terralux dropins I have seen for the stingers say they are not compatible with the polystingers. It is because the threads? If it is forced on does it damage the threading bad to if i had to turn it back in I couldn't switch it back? [/QUOTE said:
The threads on my Polystinger don't appear damaged to me; the ican head went back on the one time I tried.

FWIW, the Stingers and Surefire 8X (So long ago, I might be botching that number.) both seemed yellow compared to my incandescent 6P and Scorpion flashlights.

Another thought - I picked up two used fast chargers that don't seem to charge the battery as well as my original slow charger, at least the incandescent beam was less bright/more yellow.

With the TerraLux LED ... not a problem.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the bulb is being underdriven if it's that orange. I'm not really a fan of Streamlight's bulbs in general though. I've ran the Strion bulb in sockets before and they would darken with use unlike Surefire bulbs. The larger Streamlights seem a bit better in this regard though.