Maxpedition - Bags and Packs
Page 1 of 35 1234567811 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1039

Thread: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

  1. #1

    Buttrock The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

    Here is the new "Must -Have List" thread after the transition from RichS to myself. I would first like to thank RichS for the start of such a monumental thread and all the hard work it took to maintain it. I only hope that I can do a comparable job.

    __________________________________________________ __


    It would be very interesting to see which lights would be considered a "must have" by the die-hard flashaholics of the CPF Community. These wouldn't necessarily be lights of one specific size, output, range, purpose, or price range, but are lights that for some reason would make you say it is a "must-have" light.

    To fit in this category, it must meet the following criteria:

    *NOTE: The below criteria were updated in 2011 to remove restrictions which made it impossible for some to list all of their true "must-have" lights.
    • It has to be a "must-have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straits)
    • It must be a specific light - this is a specific "must-have" flashlight for you, not a favorite manufacturer or line of flashlights
    • It is not a list of lights you own - if you have more than one light you feel is a true "must-have" light, feel free to list more than one. However, we want to avoid individuals indiscriminately listing all their lights. **Please limit your total votes to no more than seven (7) lights. This doesn't mean you should automatically list 7 of your lights, but this is the limit.

    I want to make sure this is a highly endorsed list of lights by the CPF Community, so I will only add a light to the "must have" list after it has been recommended as a "must have" by at least 5 CPF members. As the number of nominations increase, the number needed to be on the must-have list will be increased to keep the list at a Top 10. The "must-have" list can't always remain at exactly 10 lights due to voting ties which may put it a little past 10 lights at times.


    I'll start with my own "must have" lights: Ra Clicky - extremely versatile, practically indestructable and highly efficient / M6 - one of the best incans with tons of options making it a very practical incan / A2 - one of the only regulated incans available, with the practicality of long-run LEDs when needed / McGizmo Haiku - simply perfection of design, beautiful beam pattern, indestructable Ti.

    NOTE: For those of you who are non-Flashaholics or new to this forum, you should be aware that several of the models lend themselves to be very easily modded. For example any of the models using a P60 sized dropin (developed by SureFire), such as the SureFire 6P, C2, Solarforce L2, L2m, etc., can be easily converted from an incandescent to LED, or from a stock LED to a new higher output LED. In fact, this ability to easily be modded/upgraded may in fact be large factor for it being included in the "Must-Have" list. As these lights cannot be purchased as a host only, they are listed as a complete light.
    ______________________

    The complete tabulated data from 6-8-2012


    *The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List* (Top 10 Lights by Ranking) *currently 20 or More Nominations*

    Manufacturer Light Vote Count


    1. HDS Systems EDC (Ra Clicky) & Rotary (86)
    2. SureFire 6P (60)
    3. Zebralight H501 (39)
    4. Nitecore D10 (36)
    5. SureFire C2 (35)
    6. Fenix E01 (33)
    7. SureFire A2 (29)
    8. iTP A3 EOS (27)
    9. SureFire M6 (23)
    10. 4Sevens Quark AA (22)



    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-



    The Nominees (& Number of Nominations) -


    Manufacturer Light Vote Count


    1. HDS Systems EDC (Ra Clicky) & Rotary (86)
    2. SureFire 6P (60)
    3. Zebralight H501 (39)
    4. Nitecore D10 (36)
    5. SureFire C2 (35)
    6. Fenix E01 (33)
    7. SureFire A2 (29)
    8. iTP A3 EOS (27)
    9. SureFire M6 (23)
    10. 4Sevens Quark AA (22)
    11. LiteFlux LF2XT (21)
    12. SureFire LX2 (21)
    13. 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA (20)
    14. Malkoff M61 P60 Drop-in * (17)
    15. McGizmo Haiku (17)
    16. 4Sevens Quark MiNi 123 (15)
    17. 4Sevens Quark AA^2 (15)
    18. HDS Systems EDC Twisty (Ra Twisty) (15)
    19. SureFire U2 Digital Ultra (14)
    20. Malkoff MD2 * (13)
    21. Fenix TK20/TK21 (12)
    22. Fenix LOD/LD01 (12)
    23. Muyshondt Aeon (12)
    24. 4Sevens Quark 123^2 (11)
    25. Fenix L2D/LD20 (11)
    26. Fenix TK40/TK41 (11)
    27. Maglite/KevinL Mag ROP (11)
    28. Photon Freedom (11)
    29. SureFire E1B Backup (11)
    30. SureFire L1 (11)
    31. Arc AAA (10)
    32. SureFire E2e (10)
    33. 4Sevens Quark MiNi CR2 (9)
    34. Dereelight DBS (9)
    35. SureFire E2DL (9)
    36. Zebralight SC600 (9)
    37. 4Sevens Quark 123 (8)
    38. Fenix TK11 (8)
    39. Maratac AAA (8)
    40. Solarforce L2 (8)
    41. Zebralight H51 (8)
    42. 4Sevens Preon REVO (7)
    43. 4Sevens Preon II (7)
    44. Lummi Orb RAW (7)
    45. Malkoff MD3 Wildcat (7)
    46. NovaTac 120P (7)
    47. Olight M20 Warrior (7)
    48. SureFire G2 (7)
    49. Zebralight SC50 (7)
    50. Jetbeam RRT-0 (6)
    51. Nitecore EX10 (6)
    52. Olight M30/31 (6)
    53. Zebralight SC30 (6)
    54. Cool Fall Spy007 (5)
    55. Cool Fall Tri-V (5)
    56. Fenix P2D/PD20 (5)
    57. Maglite 3D (5)
    58. Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp (5)
    59. EagleTac M2XC4 (4)
    60. Fenix PD30/31 (4)
    61. Maglite Mini-Mag 2xAA (4)
    62. Maglite 6D (4)
    63. Malkoff Hound Dog (4)
    64. Modamag Draco (4)
    65. Peak Eiger (4)
    66. SureFire C3 (4)
    67. SureFire Titan T1A (4)
    68. Zebralight SC51 (4)
    69. 4Sevens Quark Turbo 123^2 (3)
    70. 4Sevens Maelstrom (3)
    71. Arc 6 (3)
    72. CMG Infinity (3)
    73. EagleTac P20C2 mkII (3)
    74. EagleTac T20C2 MKII (3)
    75. Fenix TK30 (3)
    76. Fenix TK35 (3)
    77. Fenix E05 (3)
    78. Fenix LD10 (3)
    79. iTP A2 (3)
    80. Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro (3)
    81. Lumapower Incendio (3)
    82. Maglite Mini-Mag LED AA (3)
    83. McGizmo Sundrop (3)
    84. Nitecore EZAA (3)
    85. Olight SR 90 Intimidator (3)
    86. Oveready Bored/Modified 6P Host * (3)
    87. SureFire 9P (3)
    88. SureFire L4 (3)
    89. SureFire Z2 (3)
    90. SureFire E1e (3)
    91. SureFire E1L (3)
    92. Zebralight SC60 (3)
    93. 4Sevens Preon I (2)
    94. Arc LS (2)
    95. BigBeam Lantern (2)
    96. EagleTac P10C2 (2)
    97. Eveready Dolphin (2)
    98. Fenix HP10 (2)
    99. Fenix TA21 (2)
    100. Fenix TK45 (2)
    101. Fenix P1D (2)
    102. Fenix ED01 (2)
    103. Gerber Infinity Ultra (2)
    104. iTP A1 (2)
    105. Jetbeam M1X (2)
    106. Jetbeam Jet-III M (2)
    107. Jetbeam ba20 (2)
    108. Klarus XT-11 (2)
    109. Lummi Wee (2)
    110. Mac Customs SST-50 EDC (2)
    111. Mac Customs Mag623 (2)
    112. Maglite Solitare (2)
    113. Maglite 2D (2)
    114. Mag-mod Mag P7 (2)
    115. Malkoff M60 P60 Drop-in * (2)
    116. Malkoff Mag Drop-in * (2)
    117. Malkoff M31 P60 Drop-In * (2)
    118. McGizmo Ti PDs (2)
    119. Nitecore D11 / D11.2 (2)
    120. Peak Shasta (2)
    121. Photon Micro-light II (2)
    122. Photon Rex (2)
    123. Photon Proton Pro (2)
    124. Polarion PH40 (2)
    125. Romisen RC-N3 (2)
    126. Solarforce Masterpiece Pro 1 turbo head * (2)
    127. Solarforce L2P (2)
    128. Stanley HID 0109 (2)
    129. Streamlight SuperTac (2)
    130. Streamlight Strion (2)
    131. Sunwayman V10R (2)
    132. SureFire E2D (2)
    133. SureFire E2L (2)
    134. SureFire M2 (2)
    135. SureFire Kroma (2)
    136. SureFire 6P LED (2)
    137. SureFire G2X Pro (2)
    138. Thrunite Catapult (2)
    139. Tiablo A10-G (2)
    140. Xeno Cube E11 V7 (2)
    141. Zebralight H30 (2)
    142. Zebralight H51Fc (2)
    143. 4Sevens Quark RGB (1)
    144. 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA^2 (1)
    145. 4Sevens Quark 18650 Tactical (1)
    146. 4Sevens S12 Maelstrom (1)
    147. AELight 35/50 HID (1)
    148. AKOray K-106 (1)
    149. Arcmania X6 (1)
    150. Black & Decker 2AA Clip Light (1)
    151. Coast X-21 (1)
    152. Deft HO (1)
    153. Delghi Iris (1)
    154. Dereelight Javelin (1)
    155. Dry 3XML (1)
    156. EagleTac P10A (1)
    157. EagleTac P100A2 (1)
    158. Eastward YJ J09 / J08 (1)
    159. Electrolumens Anglelux 1W (1)
    160. Electrolumens EDC MCE (1)
    161. Electrolumens Firesword (1)
    162. Energizer AA headlamp (1)
    163. Fenix E10 (1)
    164. Fenix TK10 (1)
    165. Fenix TA30 (1)
    166. Fenix E20 (1)
    167. Fenix LD15 (1)
    168. Fenix TK70 (1)
    169. FiveMega D36 1x26650 Host * (1)
    170. Gatlight V3 (1)
    171. HyperBeam Elite 7G (1)
    172. IlluminaTi R5 (1)
    173. Inova T1 (1)
    174. Inova X1 (1)
    175. Inova X5 (1)
    176. iTP C7 (1)
    177. Jetbeam Jet-I AA (1)
    178. Jetbeam RRT-1 (1)
    179. Jetbeam TC-R3 (1)
    180. Jetbeam RRT-3 (1)
    181. Jetbeam RRT-2 (1)
    182. Jetbeam jet 2 IBS (1)
    183. Jetbeam PA10 (1)
    184. Jetbeam PA20 (1)
    185. Jetbeam PC20 (1)
    186. Klarus NT20 (1)
    187. Led Lenser P7 (1)
    188. Led Lenser V8 (1)
    189. Led Lenser V2 (1)
    190. Led Lenser M14 (1)
    191. Led Lenser T7 (1)
    192. Lighthound 5mm Keychain (1)
    193. Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra (1)
    194. Mac Customs SST-50 Mag Drop-In (1)
    195. Mac Customs XM-L (1)
    196. Maglite XL100 (1)
    197. Maglite Mag85 (1)
    198. Maglite 4D (1)
    199. Malkoff MD4 Wildcat (1)
    200. McGizmo Sapphire (1)
    201. McGizmo Lunasol 20 (1)
    202. MG P-Rocket (1)
    203. Microfire Pioneer (1)
    204. Moddoo Triple-XPG P60 Drop-in * (1)
    205. Muyshondt Mako (1)
    206. Neofab Legion II SST-50 (1)
    207. Nitecore Defender Infinity (1)
    208. Nitecore EZCR2 (1)
    209. Nitecore SR3 (1)
    210. no name shower head looking lite (1)
    211. Olight T25 (1)
    212. Olight SR 51 (1)
    213. Olight I3 EOS (1)
    214. Olight M51 (1)
    215. Peak El Capitan (1)
    216. Peak Beam Systems Maxabeam (1)
    217. Pelican 7060 LED (1)
    218. Petzl Takktica XP (1)
    219. Photonfanatic KillerAAA (1)
    220. Polarion PH50 (1)
    221. Power On Board 35W HID (1)
    222. Princeton Tec Apex (1)
    223. Princeton Tec Pulsar II Red (1)
    224. Princeton Tec Remix Pro (1)
    225. Rayovac 300L Lantern (1)
    226. Rayovac 2AA Penlight (1)
    227. Romisen RC-G2 (1)
    228. Romisen RC-29A (1)
    229. Solarforce L2M (1)
    230. Solarforce L2R (1)
    231. Spark SD6-460NW (1)
    232. StenLight S7 (1)
    233. Streamlight Stinger XT (1)
    234. Streamlight Tasklight 3XAA (1)
    235. Streamlight Microstream (1)
    236. Streamlight TLR-1 (1)
    237. Sunwayman M10A (1)
    238. Sunwayman T20C (1)
    239. Sunwayman V10R (1)
    240. SureFire 6P LED Defender (1)
    241. SureFire G2Z (1)
    242. SureFire G3 (1)
    243. SureFire M3TL (1)
    244. SureFire Saint (1)
    245. SureFire Stratum (1)
    246. SureFire Helmet Light HL-1-D (1)
    247. SureFire C2 LED (1)
    248. SureFire Beast (1)
    249. SureFire 12zm (1)
    250. SureFire 6c (1)
    251. SureFire G2 LED (1)
    252. SureFire Hellfighter (1)
    253. Surefire M3 (1)
    254. SureFire L2 Digital (1)
    255. Surefire L6 (1)
    256. SureFire 9Z (1)
    257. SureFire UB3T Invictus (1)
    258. Thrunite P60 3-mode Drop-In * (1)
    259. Thrunite TN 11 (1)
    260. Thrunite Scorpion (1)
    261. Thrunite Ti (1)
    262. UltraFire C3 (1)
    263. UltraFire RL-2088 (1)
    264. Velore AA (1)
    265. Vital Gear FB1 * (1)
    266. Wolf-Eyes M90 (1)
    267. Xeno E03 XM-L (1)
    268. Xeno G5 V6 (1)
    269. Zebralight H60 (1)
    270. Zebralight H600 (1)
    271. Dereelight C2H (0)


    *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

    Highest Number of "Must-Have" Votes by Manufacturer (Those w/ 2% or more)



    Manufacturer Sum of Vote % of Total
    SureFire - 283 23%
    4Sevens - 126 10%
    Fenix - 124 10%
    HDS Systems - 101 8%
    Zebralight - 82 7%
    Nitecore - 50 4%
    Malkoff - 48 4%
    iTP - 33 3%
    McGizmo - 24 2%
    Jetbeam - 24 2%
    Maglite - 23 2%











    CRITERIA AND LOGIC ADDED ALONG THE WAY
    There has already been much discussion regarding the logic used and how to best keep this thread on track. I have added the discussions and reasoning below and will continue to add additional logic here.



    • Why not break up the Must-Have list into categories?
    Originally Posted by Kestrel / RichS
    [Kestrel] CPF has had a significant quantity of "Pick the best in each category: 1) Keychain 2) EDC 3) Spotter ... " type of threads - one problem being that my EDC might be your "spotter" for example. Cross-pollination between categories is extremely problematic.
    [RichS] an "EDC" to me is a AAA or CR2 light or smaller, whereas I've seen other members talk about EDC'ing a DBS... there is just to much varying interpretation of the category, and it is impossible to maintain distinct boundaries.

    • Why not have separate votes for the same light but with different emitters/configurations?
    Originally Posted by RichS
    I only added one vote for the Ra Clicky. We can't get into adding duplicates of the same light with different tints of emitter. If we did that, we'd have 3 separate listings for many versions of the Quark due to each being released in cool, neutral, and warm tint versions.

    • What about having a category “if price were not object”?
    Originally Posted by TedTheLed
    I would like to make a suggestion.

    Have a category for a light or two you would most like if PRICE WERE NO OBJECT,

    this would then allow us to see the opinions of many members based on their knowledge and not just their ability to buy and own.

    Obviously not alot of us are buying $700 - $2000 lights, like the Maxabeam or Polarion, or Titaniums -- but many more of us have read up on them and have educated opinions..should anyone need guidance in this area..
    some day..

    RichS:
    Ted - this is definitely an interesting idea, and may it may be a concept for another thread. Many are curious to know what the general concensus is on a particular light before it is purchased, even from others that are flashlight experts, but don't actually have the light themselves. In fact, we have a multitude of these types of threads on CPF on a continual basis. There is a lot of discussion before say a particular light is released to discuss the specs, potential build quality, value, etc. etc. etc. before anyone has any actual experience with the light. This is helpful to many in making the decision regarding whether or not to pull the trigger.

    However, for lights that are currently available, it is much more helpful to know the opinions of those that actually own and use the light you are considering purchasing. As Scott2907 said so well, this thread is about flashaholics providing their highest vote of confidence (a "must-have") on a particular light - regardless of price - based on their personal experience with the light. A vote based upon personal experience and evaluation (especially by fellow flashlight enthusiasts) provides a much more firm basis for others that are trying do decide whether or not to buy a particular light. Have you ever bought a light that you felt you just had to have, only to find that once you had it there was one nagging thing that caused you to end up selling it? That one thing is usually something you would never have known until you had personal experience with it. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. In fact, I have bought - and then sold - way more lights than I currently own for that very reason. It takes a lot for a light to be a keeper (must-have) for me, and for it to get my vote for this list. This concept is what makes this "Must-Have" list pretty solid and useful.

    Originally Posted by TedTheLed
    gotcha. but, just consider; case in point, someone shopping for a, say 'Maxabeam' type '46 quadrillion lumens' light. Using this list they come up with one name; Maxabeam. Is it not a disservice to this person to not advise them of other brand lights that put out very similar beams at half or a third of the cost of a Maxabeam? Just so that they are aware?

    RichS:
    Keep in mind that this is only one specific thread with one intended purpose on this forum. This thread is not here to provide the "service" you mentioned in your scenario. That service is provided by the CPF website as a whole.

    If there was someone in the market for a Maxabeam, I would be the first person to tell them to get out of this thread and start doing their research on HID spotlights in the HID forum where the experts are. This thread is just one data point, and potentially just a starting point for anyone in the market for any light. I would never base a decision to buy a light solely on the number of votes it has here. It may, however give me some of idea of which lights I need to be looking into.

    • What about lights like the 6P that are voted for only to be bought and upgraded like a “host”?
    Originally Posted by wyager (And others..)
    Exactly... If I was a noob, this is the first thread I would come to to look for a light to buy... I would feel pretty bad if I made someone spend like $60 on a light that's pretty crappy without upgrading the lamp, and they had no clue this was the case. That said, if it said "6P with so and so dropin", you're setting them up to buy an awesome light and letting them know what they're getting in to.
    Amen! And that is why I thought there was another section for modded lights on this thread. It doesn't seem like it's following the spirit of this thread at all to vote for a "shell" that folks modded... Perhaps an asterisk could be added to the 6P saying that it is a must-have since it can be modded so well?


    RichS:
    Wow - this has been some very good, thought provoking discussion. I see both points of view, and after reading all the posts I found myself being pulled in both directions on this. So, I just sat back for a while and let it sink in...

    Now that I have had ample time to let all the points sink in and think through it logically, here is the way we will approach this issue in this thread going forward.

    First, we have to remember that SureFires are modular by design, which makes them very practical. They are made this way so they can easily be modded (adapted) to meet the needs of each specific situation. Add to this that they have rock solid components, and therefore become an after-market playground for hobbiests like us.

    However, SureFire doesn't sell "hosts", they sell complete lights. So, even if you buy a 6P with the knowlege that you will "upgrade" it, you still choose to buy the whole light. In fact, it may even be a "must-have" whole light purchase for you simply because it can be easily and very simply modified with SureFire or other after-market components.

    The fact is, the 6P is not the only light in this boat. The C2 is in the top 10 list, and I have never owned a C2 that I didn't put an after-market drop-in in. Same goes for the M6. How many votes for the M6 came from people (like me) who replaced all the guts because it improved the light?? The fact is, it was offered as a complete light, and I chose to buy it because of the rock solid nature and the fact that I can play with it and change it around. This mod-ability is a huge deciding factor to many of us light hobbiests, and is a big part of what makes some lights a "must-have" for us.

    KEY POINT: This list is not the "average" consumer's must-have list, it is a Flashaholic's Must-Have list! Multiple lights on the list are modular and perfect for modding. This fact, combined with great ergonomics, reliability, etc. may play a role in someone casting a vote for it. The bottom line is, it is not expected that you will keep a light in it's stock form if you place a vote for it.

    And please keep in mind, this issue isn't limited to SureFire. Many lights are made to be modular. So, would we have to move a vote for the DBS to the "hosts" section if someone decided to put a Thrunite pill in it?

    Nope, we're not going down that road. However, in light of the many newer members and CPF visitors that visit this thread, I'll put a statement in the OP that states some lights are particularly popular due in large part to it being modular, and therefore easy to modify.

    Thanks for bringing up the discussion, and for the excellent debate that helped to arrive at the decision!


    • Why was the “Must be currently available” rule removed?
    Originally Posted by NonSenCe
    In my mind i believe "Availibility" is key factor in must have list like this. -make another thread for those Must have Dream lights (in production or discontinued)

    -also on that note.. is nitecore d10 still sold? do you count d10 d10sp and d11 as the same light? i would only count the d11 to be ok as substitute of d10.. so you could add the d11 along the side of d10 on the list. or better yet. make the d11 the main light and put the (d10) like this.

    RichS:
    I agree, which is of course why I included it when it was started. However as this list has and will evolve - assuming it will be around a while - we will be running into the situation where lights on the list will begin to become not-available as they are replaced with other lights. I have already mentioned that the decision was made to not remove any light that made it onto the list at one time. Therefore there will be lights on here that are easily obtainable, and others that can be had only through the second-hand market - with varying degrees of difficulty.

    The point is, I am trying to get closer to my initial goal which is a list of true "must-have" lights of the flashaholic community with as little restrictions as possible. As I completely understand the importance of recognizing if a light is no longer available from a dealer or manufacturer, I will be sure to include an indicator to easily point out lights in this category.


    Snapshots of years past

    From 2010...



    Last edited by Captain Spaulding; 06-08-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    The Captains lights
    + PLEASE PM ME IF YOU SEE BROKEN PICS. IM TRYING TO FIX THEM. +

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    852

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    TK30/TK40
    4Sevens Quark

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Fenix TK20

  4. #4
    *Flashaholic* kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    SF-6P
    Zebralight H501 as an area flood light / lantern/ molle attachment
    SF-A2
    MAG ROP
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

  5. #5
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    malone, fl
    Posts
    272

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    SF M6
    SF LX2
    HDS/RA twisty or clicky

  6. #6
    Flashaholic* RichS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,457

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    TK30/TK40
    4Sevens Quark
    Thanks. Which Quark? These are must-have lights, not just manufacturer or line.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* RichS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,457

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    SF-6P
    Zebralight as an area flood light / lantern/ molle attachment
    SF-A2
    MAG ROP
    Which Zebralight?

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Arc LS First Run

  9. #9
    Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    852

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Thanks. Which Quark? These are must-have lights, not just manufacturer or line.
    Since they lego so well it's hard to pick just one. They all have the same beam/head aside from the different voltage and UI options. Can you just call it Quark R5?

  10. #10
    Flashaholic* RichS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,457

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by was.lost.but.now.found View Post
    Since they lego so well it's hard to pick just one. They all have the same beam/head aside from the different voltage and UI options. Can you just call it Quark R5?
    I agree it is great that they lego so well, kind of like SF flashlights. But if you had to pick the one(s) that are a "must have" for you right out of the package, which one(s) would it be?

  11. #11
    Flashaholic* RichS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,457

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by F250XLT View Post
    Arc LS First Run
    Can you still get these pretty easily or are they a collector's item?

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Fenix TK20
    iTP A3
    Nitecore D10
    Zebralight H501

  13. #13
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Just South of the great white North
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Tri-V

  14. #14
    Flashaholic photonstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    118

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quark MiNi AA
    Zebralight H501
    Preon 2
    QMiNi123-AA,AAww,CR2,Preon2,Fenix LD20,LD15,TA30TK40,iTP EOS A1,A2ss,A3Ti,UF c3,501b,502b, Glo-toob, RomiRC-b12,SFP7,SolarforceSkyline,L2,L2r,SST-90Mag4D,MiniMagAA,PetzlHL,PrincetonTecHL,TFZ1,200m w laser

  15. #15
    Flashaholic herbicide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Worksop, UK
    Posts
    152

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Lummi Orb RAW
    'Welcome to the dark side... well... bright side... really, really bright side...' - RyanA

  16. #16
    Flashaholic* F250XLT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    I can see the Windmills...
    Posts
    2,145

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Can you still get these pretty easily or are they a collector's item?

    They can be had if you ask, and there is a member here on CPF that still has hosts available I believe.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by oldways View Post
    SF M6
    SF LX2
    HDS/RA twisty or clicky
    Ditto on the Ra Clicky.

  18. #18
    Flashaholic* was.lost.but.now.found's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    852

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    I agree it is great that they lego so well, kind of like SF flashlights. But if you had to pick the one(s) that are a "must have" for you right out of the package, which one(s) would it be?
    Sorry, you're just not liking my answers. I was intending also to lump the TK30/40 into one group, because while some individuals have both, the understanding is that the quality of the two is due to the constant output and beam quality, which is shared equally by both lights. The choice between the UIs and the battery type simply comes down to personal preference but by most they are considered the same light. This also explains my thoughts on the Quark.

    I'm just thinking your results are going to be watered down by being too specific. I mean, when I say Quark do I also need to specify aluminum vs. Ti? I think it's a little much. But anyway if you must have only one, for my vote just go with TK40 and Quark AA Regular for the other.

  19. #19
    nfetterly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati area, but lots of travel
    Posts
    2,320

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    P60 drop in host - ElectronGuru bored 6P with McClicky, HAIII or cerakote.

    Bored because so many custom P60 drop ins will run on one 18650 - but won't run on 2 rcr123s. Specified ElectronGuru, not sure where Nite is on sales of FiveMega hosts, also ElectronGuru is "one stop shop" right down to the AW batteries and chargers.


  20. #20
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    houston, tx
    Posts
    2,024

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quark 2AA R5.
    Quark 2 123-R5.
    Quark mini cr2.

  21. #21
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Posts
    646

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    TK40 if I could only have one.

  22. #22
    *Flashaholic* kramer5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Which Zebralight?
    Oops... H501
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

  23. #23
    *Flashaholic* carrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,957

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Surefire C2.

    Because the other must-have is the Malkoff M61 drop-in.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

  24. #24
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Europe - Holland
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Nitecore d10
    L10 nichia 3mode : Jetbeam rrt-01 : 2x ZLh501w : IncenDio-v3 : Jet-III-M-ww : Parasitic drain ones: HDS high cri : Nitecore D10 nichia ramping.

  25. #25
    Flashaholic* gollum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    982

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    I must have and always do have with me...

    Draco (chrome) keychain edc always there for emergency

    when I went mountain climbing and weight was the premium concern for everything I took only 2 lights

    the Zebra light sc30 (neutral white)
    and ITP A3 eos 3 stage with a 3.7V 10440 as a super lightweight back up

    for asthetic value there are many lights I like and want ...but I own
    a Lummi Raw in Damascus,Lummi N/S Raw is pretty nice too with 5 trit slots and 2 speed 20/200 or 100/200 lumen

    and JHanko's 3D Trit D10 custom is pure art in Titanium and tritium
    I own his latest 21 Red trit version

    a custom machined Mag 1D with SST-90 and 2 x 18650 running D Flex 8 stage up to 1450 lumens...it does everything except pop into your shirt pocket

    another keeper is my rainbow killer... perfect neck carry light
    too easy to throw on and use in a split second,thanks Fred


    finally and surprisingly deal extreme does the button lights with 22,000mcd ... 10 for $4.57 they are on anything I own that has a zip or tag, back packs hooks and nails all around the house and workshop
    all my friends have been given one and even saved a mate in a flash flood
    I think I have bought about 100 now ... they are so handy.

    wish list...
    when I get the $ together I will get a Haiku...that will be on the list aswell
    Tri-V probably won't get this one but if I did it would have to be no.1

  26. #26

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Darkness.
    If and when the the big dookie hits the fan, and global chaos ensues, i want a couple of quality AA lights within reach.

  27. #27
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    402

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Photon Freedom. It's the light that is always in my pocket. There are lots of others, but the only light I feel lost and uncomfortable without is the Freedom. Same for its constant sidekick, the Swiss Army Executive.
    Looking for something, use a handheld. Actually doing something, you need a headlamp.

  28. #28
    Flashaholic* tre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northern IL USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    HDS RA Clicky
    Quark 123
    Nitecore SR3
    EagleTac T20C2 MKII
    EagleTac M2XC4
    Tiablo A10-G

    I have a feeling the Maelstrom will be must have but who knows at this point.

    I am suprised I don't have any Jetbeams or Fenix lights on my must have list but I guess I like my other lights better. Maybe a Jetbeam RRT-3 but I don't own one (yet).

  29. #29

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    SUREFIRE 6P
    RA TWISTY

  30. #30

    Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

    Solarforce L2, bored 6P or any solid 18650 P60 host. Wish I would have jumped on this bandwagon a long time ago! Add a 1aa and headlamp and I'm not sure why I keep my other lights around!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •