Storacell
Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

Must Have, that's interesting for a flashaholic, I should post a link to my whole collection...

No, I'll do this seriously and name the lights I would recommend someone who has no lights and asks me what he must buy :

- Ra Clicky

That would be it! Oh, perhaps not, he might need something more classy :

- McGizmo Haiku

To make it complete :

- Zebralight H501w
    - Dereelight DBS SST-50
    - Quark MiNi CR2

Now he's ready!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Quote Originally Posted by I came to the light... View Post
    Excellent idea, especially the top choices list. I look forward to seeing this list evolve with more input. Mine are the Ra Clicky and SureFire LX2.

Also, I don't know if you're interested, but I could make a website for this list to solve the classics issue and enable improvements. For example, you could have a common list of must-haves, with a checkbox at the top determining whether classics are allowed. Then you could add stuff like graphical comparison bars, category filters, and really anythng you can think of. Of course, the downside would be that the list would no longer be directly on CPF, although you could still accept entries here and manually update some version of the list. Tell me if you think it's a good idea.
    Wow - I really appreciate that generous offer! I think it is a good idea, because as this progresses, it would be very helpful to have additional items available, like pictures for each of the lights in the must have list, links, graphs, etc. that would be difficult to do in a thread. I definitely want to keep this thread as the source of information and place for providing input. But I would have no idea where to begin with the web page thing... you'll have to give me your thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    I like the list just the way it is and don't really see any need to go beyond your original intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    I don't think we want more than one thread like this.

Besides, today's "latest model" is next week's "classic", next month's "no longer available" and next year's "antique".
    Thanks guys. I actually came to the same conclusion today when I got to thinking about it. One thread that is wide open for an individual to provide his/her personal "must haves" is enough.

However..... I did ask myself why I was limiting it to only currently obtainable lights. After all, anything anyone has is obtainable because of collectors and forums like these, it's just that some are harder to obtain than others. What I'm losing out on here because of this rule is possibly some of the biggest must have's of all time, like the McGizmo PD-S. So, I'm thinking of opening it up to all lights, and just denote those that are no longer available via the dealer/manufacturer with an asterisk.

Thoughts on this??

I completely agree that this thread is just fine with it's original intent pretty obvious that the light is a must have as a "functional" light. Collections are nice but I would never put a collectible light on my must have list.

Anyway - I am very interested when I look at the list of Nomimees from the bottom to the top and it really shows the true progression of the flashaholic. My order of purchasing my first light when I joined the site all the way up to my recent choices for RaClicky, M6, etc (and Haiku is awesome as well) as best light is the same chronological progression as the Nominess list.

Rich, it really is fine as it is, just letting each person decide for themselves whichever criteria matter at the time they decide to post.

I actually wanted to add the Ion, with it's smooth, floody beam to the count, but the fact that it's been out of production for years unfortunately prevents it from making the list.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond View Post
    I completely agree that this thread is just fine with it's original intent pretty obvious that the light is a must have as a "functional" light. Collections are nice but I would never put a collectible light on my must have list.

Anyway - I am very interested when I look at the list of Nomimees from the bottom to the top and it really shows the true progression of the flashaholic. My order of purchasing my first light when I joined the site all the way up to my recent choices for RaClicky, M6, etc (and Haiku is awesome as well) as best light is the same chronological progression as the Nominess list.
    Another very good point. Ok, I'll stop over-thinking this now, and continue as initially intended. It is indeed giving some interesting results. But with a membership as large as CPF, there is still quite a small sampling of people's must-haves. I really hope the posts keep coming. I'd like to see a decent percentage of the forum give their input, and see if the results change or if any other lights make their way to the top. I'm curious if anything else out there is going to compete with the Ra Clicky for top spot.

Speaking of the Ra Clicky - it is interesting that the previous version of the Ra Clicky - the NovaTac - doesn't even have one vote. I remember before the Ra Clicky was released it was the hot item, and now it seemed to disappear into the Ra Clicky's shadow. I still have a NovaTac and love it, but have to admit the improved efficiency of the Ra Clicky has made me question if the NovaTac will have to find a new home..

Flashaholic*

Most of my lights fall into my "must have" list, but will list only the two that first came to mind (subject to change, of course!).

Photon ReX
    Surefire M6
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Ok, I'll stop over-thinking this now, and continue as initially intended.
    Yeah, don't over-think it. This thread is great and the way you have it organized is perfect. It is a great resource. Two thumbs up->

For me,

1) Surefire LX2
    2) Surefire A2
    3) Ra Twisty

Smile Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

Out of the top 12 I only have 3 of the lights listed so that's not to shabby

I must admit that you might influence my first Surefire, maybe.
    "Now they will know why they are afraid of the dark. Now they learn why they fear the night."-Thulsa Doom PAYPAL FEE CALCULATOR; list of lights.

...it is interesting that the previous version of the Ra Clicky - the NovaTac - doesn't even have one vote. I remember before the Ra Clicky was released it was the hot item, and now it seemed to disappear into the Ra Clicky's shadow. I still have a NovaTac and love it, but have to admit the improved efficiency of the Ra Clicky has made me question if the NovaTac will have to find a new home..
    Wow... I remember the Novatac "days" too, when I first joined. I am also surprised that no one has listed them as a must have.
    Oh BTW... you have the Fenix TK20 listed twice at 4 and 3. If it got a total of 7 votes that shoots it up into the top-10.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

iTp A3 EOS (what I EDC)

I'm surprised no one has voted for the Stanley HID0109; ~3000 lumen for around $70. My mother-in-law has a 5 acre lot in the country and when ever I head out there, this one goes with me.

SWEET!

I've got 5 of the current Top 12 Must-haves.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

True! i vote for it as a must have, if you really want a butt load of light its hard to beat, so i vote for the Stanley HID.

Also i vote for a FM D36 1x26650 host with a stt-50 in it...VERY nice light. i always have it with me 24/7 (in fact staying at a friends house two nights ago i woke up to find i was laying on the stupid thing, with it still in its hoslter i made for it....oddly i did not notice it daring the night...i guess it gets points for being soft :P )

1. HDS Ra Clicky
    2. Zebralight H501
    3. SureFire 6P
    4. SureFire M6
    5. LiteFlux LF2XT
    6. McGizmo Haiku
    7. Nitecore D10
    8. SureFire A2
    9. SureFire C2
    10. 4Sevens Quark AA
    11. 4Sevens Quark MiNi AA
    12. Fenix E01
    I've had 8 of them but only 5 remain. I'm really glad to see the Clicky and LF2XT firmly ensconced in the list. The Clicky became my favorite light to carry this last winter, but as winter faded and night with it the Clicky found itself back in moth balls until night returns in mid August at least.

The LF2XT, EZAAw and Draco are always on me but the two latter lights are more specialized I feel, which has kept them off the top of this list. If the EZAA had three levels I believe it would be much higher on the list, and if the Draco was more easily obtained there would be many more of them in circulation.

But the Ra Clicky, with it's ample output, beautiful beam pattern, flexible and customizable UI, bullet-proof construction and long runtimes has placed it in a well deserved place with all.

Likewise, the LF2XT also has a very beautiful beam pattern, excellent and flexible UI's, slim construction and with the release of Steve Ku's beautiful Ti bodies making it one of the more coveted lights here. However the lack of availability of these bodies, their price and lackluster high level when compared to many other AAA lights now available has kept it in an odd position here, in limbo between being an absolute favorite, and a light that with a little higher output would be higher yet on the list.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Did anyone mention one 'must have' is a second job to pay for all this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by jacktheclipper View Post
    Did anyone mention one 'must have' is a second job to pay for all this stuff?
    Yup, I mentioned that a few years ago. Another CPFer is using my quote in his sig line.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Olight M20 Warrior
    for longer run time and better illumination

Flashaholic*

The Two Lights That Stand Out The Most:

RA Clicky (High CRI)

And

The Surefire M6 Guardian

Last week I sent off my high CRI Clicky and today received it's replacement; the Ti Clicky!

Now, even though it's never dark out, I am once again carrying my new Clicky! If you don't have one, get one!

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    Wow... I remember the Novatac "days" too, when I first joined. I am also surprised that no one has listed them as a must have.
    Oh BTW... you have the Fenix TK20 listed twice at 4 and 3. If it got a total of 7 votes that shoots it up into the top-10.
    Fixed - thanks. When I copied/pasted to move it up I didn't delete the extra entry.

OP updated.

And....we have 3 new "Must Have's" on the list, including a 4th SureFire and a 2nd HDS light! Also, an iTP light makes the cut!

I'd like to amend my vote to include the DBS. I've got mine running on 2xAAs and it probably out throws some 18650 based lights. Its the ultimate P60 lego with a huge reflector. The real jack of all traits, it can house XPG, SSTs, and according to nailbender it can house the linger special.

Surefire C2 - upgradeable, great all round light
    Deree DBS - upgradeable, great all round throw light
    Zebralight 501 - great flood and hands free light

Does the Volere AA count (great EDC)? If so, I'd like to nominate it.

I've had 5 of the top 12 but currently only own 3.

I'd like to further the RA Clicky nomination and also nominate the Surefire E2D. I think this was a draw for many new flashaholics. There's just something special about holding an object so dreadfully pointy and dark that is also able to put out a good amount of light.

1. Malkoff MD2/M61
    2. Malkoff MD3 Wildcat
    3. Surefire LX2

done.

Flashaholic

After further consideration I must add two to my list.

Muyshondt Aeon
    SF A2

Well, I'm 4 for the top 15, with 16 of the overall list... Time to get busy building up some Paypal! Great work compiling all this. Thanks! Makes for some fun reading.

Definitely the Ra Clicky and/or McGizmo Sundrop

Quote Originally Posted by swrdply400mrelay View Post

Does the Volere AA count (great EDC)? If so, I'd like to nominate it.
    It's currently available, so yep!

OP updated. And Dereelight (DBS) joins the "must have" list along with the first Malkoff with the M61! Also interesting to note - SureFire takes 4 of the top 7 slots...not too shabby!

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast