HDS Systems
Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Default Re: Must have lights

Quote Originally Posted by HOLONYAK View Post
    Hey thanks. Im in Fishers, by the way. I used to intern at Bloomington hospital and I lived across from The Irish Lion. Anyway, Fry's up here has a limited selection of nice lights. Gander Mountain has some surefires. Do you know of any other Indiana retailers that sell nice lights?
    For the record, I dont mind internet retailers, but I would like to see some of these in person.

Hey thanks. Im in Fishers, by the way. I used to intern at Bloomington hospital and I lived across from The Irish Lion. Anyway, Fry's up here has a limited selection of nice lights. Gander Mountain has some surefires. Do you know of any other Indiana retailers that sell nice lights?
    For the record, I dont mind internet retailers, but I would like to see some of these in person.

Hey, glad I could help a fellow Hoosier! I love Bloomington. As far as a place to gawk at nice lights, I don't know of any besides the interwebs.

Hey, glad I could help a fellow Hoosier! I love Bloomington. As far as a place to gawk at nice lights, I don't know of any besides the interwebs.

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

You know, when you have a lot of good lights; one is bound to slip through the cracks. Have to add the following model as a Must Have . . .

Surefire L1

From an overall perspective it can handle such a huge range of different lighting chores, and handle them well. That's the thing. So another vote for this underrated light.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

You know, when you have a lot of good lights; one is bound to slip through the cracks. Have to add the following model as a Must Have . . .

Surefire L1

From an overall perspective it can handle such a huge range of different lighting chores, and handle them well. That's the thing. So another vote for this underrated light.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    RichS, great thread - perfect the way you've done it. CPF has had a significant quantity of "Pick the best in each category: 1) Keychain 2) EDC 3) Spotter ... " type of threads - one problem being that my EDC might be your "spotter" for example. Cross-pollination between categories is extremely problematic.

I very much like the updating of the polling tallies - your updates of post #1 makes this a much better thread than other threads of this type that just go on and on 'ad nauseum' with no conclusion or summation.

My 'must-haves':
    Thanks very much Kestrel. I also thought it would be nice to have a nice organized thread with favorites by categories, but I thought there would be the same problems you mentioned that other threads have. You're right - an "EDC" to me is a AAA or CR2 light or smaller, whereas I've seen other members talk about EDC'ing a DBS... there is just to much varying interperetation of the category, and it is impossible to maintain distinct boundaries.

Added your must-haves. Note: Combined the Fenix LD01 and the Fenix LOD as they are the same light w/ just with different generations of CREE XR-Es.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post

Surefire L1

I thought the same thing when I saw him list the L1! I have one that is my very first SureFire light (now modded with a Q4 5B), and it's not going anywhere. Perfectly simple UI, two useful modes, excellent efficiency, awesome throw from a small light - with plenty of side-spill, SureFire ruggedness, and pocketabillity...

Yep - adding a vote as a must-have for me as well! Good call!

RichS, great thread - perfect the way you've done it. CPF has had a significant quantity of "Pick the best in each category: 1) Keychain 2) EDC 3) Spotter ... " type of threads - one problem being that my EDC might be your "spotter" for example. Cross-pollination between categories is extremely problematic.

I very much like the updating of the polling tallies - your updates of post #1 makes this a much better thread than other threads of this type that just go on and on 'ad nauseum' with no conclusion or summation.

My 'must-haves':
    Thanks very much Kestrel. I also thought it would be nice to have a nice organized thread with favorites by categories, but I thought there would be the same problems you mentioned that other threads have. You're right - an "EDC" to me is a AAA or CR2 light or smaller, whereas I've seen other members talk about EDC'ing a DBS... there is just to much varying interperetation of the category, and it is impossible to maintain distinct boundaries.

Added your must-haves. Note: Combined the Fenix LD01 and the Fenix LOD as they are the same light w/ just with different generations of CREE XR-Es.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post

Surefire L1

I thought the same thing when I saw him list the L1! I have one that is my very first SureFire light (now modded with a Q4 5B), and it's not going anywhere. Perfectly simple UI, two useful modes, excellent efficiency, awesome throw from a small light - with plenty of side-spill, SureFire ruggedness, and pocketabillity...

Yep - adding a vote as a must-have for me as well! Good call!

Buttrock Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

• Jetbeam Jet-III M
    • Surefire A2 (original)

2 is 1

But couldn't part with my L1 either
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Buttrock Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

• Jetbeam Jet-III M
    • Surefire A2 (original)

2 is 1

My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    Then it's a Must Have. So we can count that as another vote for it.

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    Then it's a Must Have. So we can count that as another vote for it.

So, what, SureFire announces the LX1 only ~ two years ago and you all forget about the L1 until I finally come along and vote for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    an "EDC" to me is a AAA or CR2 light or smaller, whereas I've seen other members talk about EDC'ing a DBS... there is just to much varying interperetation of the category, and it is impossible to maintain distinct boundaries.
    Heck, I spent one Oregon winter not too long ago EDC'ing my SF C3 / M60. I'd still take it over any AAA keychain light.
    (and don't even get me started talking about ENC...)
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

So, what, SureFire announces the LX1 only ~ two years ago and you all forget about the L1 until I finally come along and vote for it?
    an "EDC" to me is a AAA or CR2 light or smaller, whereas I've seen other members talk about EDC'ing a DBS... there is just to much varying interperetation of the category, and it is impossible to maintain distinct boundaries.
    Heck, I spent one Oregon winter not too long ago EDC'ing my SF C3 / M60. I'd still take it over any AAA keychain light.
    (and don't even get me started talking about ENC...)
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

So, what, SureFire announces the LX1 only ~ two years ago and you all forget about the L1 until I finally come along?
    LOL

I just honestly forgot.

So, what, SureFire announces the LX1 only ~ two years ago and you all forget about the L1 until I finally come along?
    LOL

I just honestly forgot.

Mods - why was this thread moved to the LED Flashlight's forum? This is not meant to be LED specific - in any way. The must-have nominations are open to any technology - not just LED. Many of the must-have light nominations are incancescent, and a few are HID.

Can this please be moved back to the General Flashlight Discussion forum where it was started?

Mods - why was this thread moved to the LED Flashlight's forum? This is not meant to be LED specific - in any way. The must-have nominations are open to any technology - not just LED. Many of the must-have light nominations are incancescent, and a few are HID.

Can this please be moved back to the General Flashlight Discussion forum where it was started?

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

I vote for the Preon. This little light does so much...the two body tubes, the two activation methods. Tons of light from a little package and all for under $50. I know price shouldn't factor into it, but has to at some point. This is a great light.

I'd also vote for the 6P if I had a second vote. It just works. It is easily upgradeable.

I vote for the Preon. This little light does so much...the two body tubes, the two activation methods. Tons of light from a little package and all for under $50. I know price shouldn't factor into it, but has to at some point. This is a great light.

I'd also vote for the 6P if I had a second vote. It just works. It is easily upgradeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Child of Rawls View Post
    I know price shouldn't factor into it, but has to at some point. This is a great light.
    I believe price can be a factor here. If I had a light that works perfectly for a portion of my uses and was only $15, I would definitely consider it a must-have. It would fit all of the OP's requirements, and it's doubtful that I would consider selling it for ~$10. Heck, one of my nominations was the Lighthound 5mm keychain light freebie, and I could make a very solid case for its inclusion on this list to any of the experts and veterans here:
    It has to be a "must have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straights)

We get multiple votes. We don't stop with just one light, we're flashaholics.
    - Winston Churchill

I know price shouldn't factor into it, but has to at some point. This is a great light.
    I believe price can be a factor here. If I had a light that works perfectly for a portion of my uses and was only $15, I would definitely consider it a must-have. It would fit all of the OP's requirements, and it's doubtful that I would consider selling it for ~$10. Heck, one of my nominations was the Lighthound 5mm keychain light freebie, and I could make a very solid case for its inclusion on this list to any of the experts and veterans here:
    It has to be a "must have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straights)

We get multiple votes. We don't stop with just one light, we're flashaholics.
    - Winston Churchill

You need at least two lights, one small:

Dereelight Javelin with 3 levels and runs on 2-AA batteries

and one large:

AELight 35/50.

Then you are covered.

aehaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

You need at least two lights, one small:

Dereelight Javelin with 3 levels and runs on 2-AA batteries

and one large:

AELight 35/50.

Then you are covered.

aehaas
    The most valuable machine guns in the world. Home Inspection, whole house approach, Sarasota Home Inspections, we are your investigators.

- Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in
    - 4Sevens Quark (Tactical preferred, but it doesn't really matter).
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

- Malkoff MD2 with M61 drop-in
    - 4Sevens Quark (Tactical preferred, but it doesn't really matter).
    [New Malkoff MD2/M61W (neutral) H/L] - [Old Malkoff MD2/M61 219 H/L] - [Fenix TK11 R5] - [4Sevens Quark AA Tactical R5] - [Petzl Tikka Plus] - [Streamlight Propoly 4AA Luxeon]

Arrow Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

No M6?? You need to get out your PayPal and head over to CPFMP stat!
    I was at a Gun shop once and saw a M6 new in the box for $250, and I let it goÖ. I just canít see a reason to spend that much money on a light like it. Iíve got a Wolf Eyes M90X EO-13: 3X the run time, rechargeable, better throw and output ď I have seen the two side by sideĒ. If anything, add that to the list:

Wolf Eyes M90 +1

That light is extremely flexible, cheap, and is the most solid light Iíve ever held. Itís not that I donít like SureFire, they just donít have any lights as heavy-duty feeling as the M90.

Also any BigBeam light, such as one of there smaller 6 volt Lanterns.

BigBeam Lantern +1
    ďWhat do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?Ē, thatís just what they want you to think! Itís a Conspiracy, Man!

Arrow Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

No M6?? You need to get out your PayPal and head over to CPFMP stat!
    I was at a Gun shop once and saw a M6 new in the box for $250, and I let it goÖ. I just canít see a reason to spend that much money on a light like it. Iíve got a Wolf Eyes M90X EO-13: 3X the run time, rechargeable, better throw and output ď I have seen the two side by sideĒ. If anything, add that to the list:

Wolf Eyes M90 +1

That light is extremely flexible, cheap, and is the most solid light Iíve ever held. Itís not that I donít like SureFire, they just donít have any lights as heavy-duty feeling as the M90.

Also any BigBeam light, such as one of there smaller 6 volt Lanterns.

BigBeam Lantern +1
    ďWhat do you mean LEDs are more efficient then Incans?Ē, thatís just what they want you to think! Itís a Conspiracy, Man!