Black Moon LTD
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- 342 Votes so far!

Quote Originally Posted by jtivat View Post
    Humm thought I had voted for the 6P but I must have forgot it.
    If it's not too late I would add the 6P it is the most versatile light out there.
    It can use most any drop in plus the P60, P61 or P91 with rechargeable batteries.
    Plus there are a butt load of other upgrades for it.
    Nope, not too late...added!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozgeardo View Post
    I'll play:

Fenix LD01 (or L0D) I have 1/2 dozen of these animals always as various EDC's
    Olight M30, My must have favourite for most serious outdoor activities
    Petzl Tactikka XP, My must have for headlamp

Just checking back and it appears I have 3 of the top 10 "must haves" but none of them I would consider "must haves" for me.
    Rather disappointed that Olights don't seem to be making the list, I would have thought the M20 would be right up there with the Surefire 6P but what would I know LOL
    Added! I am also surprised at the low number of votes for Olight. I can't quite put my finger on it, but speaking for myself I've had several Olights previously and now I have none. The previous models I had just had too much of a purple tint for me. I also remember they were a little too smooth (not enough knurling). But I know they've made a lot of advancements with their recent models. A friend of mine has the M30, and it is one of the brightest multi-die/large die lights I've seen. Awesome beam pattern, versatility and output. But, I still can't get past the design - just not up my alley. It could be that the design/feel is quite different than the lights I tend to navigate towards like the SureFires/HDS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Vspotlight View Post
    Here's one from left field, but I love my Illums!

http://www.teva.com/productslist.aspx?g=k&categoryid=755
    Those are some cool Tevas! Unfortunately, they don't quite fit in this particular poll. But I'd have a pair!

Quote Originally Posted by red02 View Post
    Great thread so far, I find myself checking the top list regularly. Can we change the 7-votes "must have" status to something like top 10, top 15?

I only ask this since before we close the voting there may be 20+ lights with 7+ votes and the vote minimum will probably change to accommodate something like a top-10 anyway.
    To be on the "must-have" list, it has to have been recommended as a "must have" by at least 5 CPF members to start. However, as the votes increase, the number of nominations needed to be on the must-have list will be increased to keep the list at a top-ten, but less than 20. This way the most nominated lights (Top 10+) will be at the top. I can't always cut it at the exact top 10 due to voting ties that may keep it a little past 10.

I includes "~Top 10" next to the must-have list to make this clearer.

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- 342 Votes so far!

Quote Originally Posted by jtivat View Post
    Humm thought I had voted for the 6P but I must have forgot it.
    If it's not too late I would add the 6P it is the most versatile light out there.
    It can use most any drop in plus the P60, P61 or P91 with rechargeable batteries.
    Plus there are a butt load of other upgrades for it.
    Nope, not too late...added!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozgeardo View Post
    I'll play:

Fenix LD01 (or L0D) I have 1/2 dozen of these animals always as various EDC's
    Olight M30, My must have favourite for most serious outdoor activities
    Petzl Tactikka XP, My must have for headlamp

Just checking back and it appears I have 3 of the top 10 "must haves" but none of them I would consider "must haves" for me.
    Rather disappointed that Olights don't seem to be making the list, I would have thought the M20 would be right up there with the Surefire 6P but what would I know LOL
    Added! I am also surprised at the low number of votes for Olight. I can't quite put my finger on it, but speaking for myself I've had several Olights previously and now I have none. The previous models I had just had too much of a purple tint for me. I also remember they were a little too smooth (not enough knurling). But I know they've made a lot of advancements with their recent models. A friend of mine has the M30, and it is one of the brightest multi-die/large die lights I've seen. Awesome beam pattern, versatility and output. But, I still can't get past the design - just not up my alley. It could be that the design/feel is quite different than the lights I tend to navigate towards like the SureFires/HDS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 12Vspotlight View Post
    Here's one from left field, but I love my Illums!

http://www.teva.com/productslist.aspx?g=k&categoryid=755
    Those are some cool Tevas! Unfortunately, they don't quite fit in this particular poll. But I'd have a pair!

Quote Originally Posted by red02 View Post
    Great thread so far, I find myself checking the top list regularly. Can we change the 7-votes "must have" status to something like top 10, top 15?

I only ask this since before we close the voting there may be 20+ lights with 7+ votes and the vote minimum will probably change to accommodate something like a top-10 anyway.
    To be on the "must-have" list, it has to have been recommended as a "must have" by at least 5 CPF members to start. However, as the votes increase, the number of nominations needed to be on the must-have list will be increased to keep the list at a top-ten, but less than 20. This way the most nominated lights (Top 10+) will be at the top. I can't always cut it at the exact top 10 due to voting ties that may keep it a little past 10.

I includes "~Top 10" next to the must-have list to make this clearer.

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    No M6?? You need to get out your PayPal and head over to CPFMP stat!

Thanks. Are these all lights you own that are a must-have for you? The reason I ask, is that you put the E2 "line" down, which is not a specific light. Please tell me which specific lights you want me to add that for one reason or another are a "must-have" for you.
    I'd say the E2E, of which I have 1. I put the others, -O and -D because I think they are equally functional, so I'd say you could have any one of these 2-cell "E" series lights and be a happy flashaholic. They will all take the MN02 and MN03 Surefire lanps, the LumensFactory lamps, and now KuKu's tower module. So I'd say get whichever one suits your fancy and you are good to go.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Your Vote Needed!

No M6?? You need to get out your PayPal and head over to CPFMP stat!

Thanks. Are these all lights you own that are a must-have for you? The reason I ask, is that you put the E2 "line" down, which is not a specific light. Please tell me which specific lights you want me to add that for one reason or another are a "must-have" for you.
    I'd say the E2E, of which I have 1. I put the others, -O and -D because I think they are equally functional, so I'd say you could have any one of these 2-cell "E" series lights and be a happy flashaholic. They will all take the MN02 and MN03 Surefire lanps, the LumensFactory lamps, and now KuKu's tower module. So I'd say get whichever one suits your fancy and you are good to go.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Flashaholic

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- 347 Votes so far!

One more vote to Fenix TK11 please!

Flashaholic

One more vote to Fenix TK11 please!

Surefire 6P
    Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra
    Lumapower CPF Edition Incendio XP-G R5

Three lights I would definitely buy again...
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Surefire 6P
    Lumapower D-Mini VX Ultra
    Lumapower CPF Edition Incendio XP-G R5

Three lights I would definitely buy again...
    My dog ate my flashlight...

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

ZL H501- always wearing it very useful

Jet-I Pro- best AA/14500 light I own very good thrower

Eagletac P20C2 MKII- what can I say very bright, well made and affordable

To the OP I commend you on taking on the responsibility of this thread I know it can take some work to keep all the numbers tallied correctly. I did a Flashlight of the Year Award thread not to long ago and it turned out pretty good but I felt very responsible that every vote counted. Good luck I like these threads.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must Have" List

ZL H501- always wearing it very useful

Jet-I Pro- best AA/14500 light I own very good thrower

Eagletac P20C2 MKII- what can I say very bright, well made and affordable

To the OP I commend you on taking on the responsibility of this thread I know it can take some work to keep all the numbers tallied correctly. I did a Flashlight of the Year Award thread not to long ago and it turned out pretty good but I felt very responsible that every vote counted. Good luck I like these threads.
    My flashlight collection HERE

Still amazed theres not ONE Novatac vote!!! Considering how raging popular these were just 18-24 months ago.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Still amazed theres not ONE Novatac vote!!! Considering how raging popular these were just 18-24 months ago.
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Well... in that 18-24 months, the talent left NovaTac and the company moved down market.

My votes:

• Ra Clicky - best overall light currently/readily available
    • Fenix L0D/LD01/whatever - I'd prefer to keep the LF2XT on my keys, but it's just a little too flaky.
    • Surefire L1 and LX2

Well... in that 18-24 months, the talent left NovaTac and the company moved down market.

My votes:

• Fenix L0D/LD01/whatever - I'd prefer to keep the LF2XT on my keys, but it's just a little too flaky.
    • Surefire L1 and LX2

All votes added.

Quote Originally Posted by gswitter View Post

My votes:

• Surefire L1 and LX2
    And with that, the LX2 is again back up on the "must-have" list.

Sorry, I just can't leave the NovaTac thing alone. Yes, the talent did move on, but the original NovaTac (120E, 120T, 120P) was still Henry's creation. I still have a 120P and a 120E that did not get put back on the market once I bought his newest creation - the Ra Clicky. As a matter of fact, I have and would consider selling the 120E since it will now get very little use, but I will not part with my NovaTac 120P. I know that NovaTac settled and sent their production overseas, but I have 2 lights that were early releases and made here in the US early on.

I absolutely love my Ra Clicky, and it is not going anywhere. Yes, it does have a lot of improvements, including a more efficient circuit for longer runtime, a more robust bezel, etc.. So why keep the 120P when I have the Ra Clicky? Because the NovaTac is still a great light, and different than the Ra Clicky in a few ways (with slight advantages) that make it worth keeping:
    • NovaTac is more compact, and therefore lighter weight and more comfortable to pocket carry
    • Better clip - I like the new Ra ring clip, but the NovaTac ring clip has more surface area that touches the body of the light, and therefore somewhat more secure than the Ra.
    • No holes in body which is nice when you're not using a clip with screws attached
    • Can tail-stand with no wobble
    • For some reason, I like the feel of the "click" slightly better than my Ra - it feels more "flat" and somewhat more robust and faster. Although both are great
    • I like the fact that the clicky on the NovaTac can be replaced by buying a $20 tailcap, as opposed to a $40 body part for the Ra
    • It's another nearly-perfect creation by Henry
    • I can have a different emitter in each light designed for different tasks
    With that said, I will take the liberty as others have of adding one additional must-have vote following my initial submission, and add the NovaTac 120P.

Two of my must-have lights side by side:

All votes added.

My votes:

• Surefire L1 and LX2
    And with that, the LX2 is again back up on the "must-have" list.

Sorry, I just can't leave the NovaTac thing alone. Yes, the talent did move on, but the original NovaTac (120E, 120T, 120P) was still Henry's creation. I still have a 120P and a 120E that did not get put back on the market once I bought his newest creation - the Ra Clicky. As a matter of fact, I have and would consider selling the 120E since it will now get very little use, but I will not part with my NovaTac 120P. I know that NovaTac settled and sent their production overseas, but I have 2 lights that were early releases and made here in the US early on.

I absolutely love my Ra Clicky, and it is not going anywhere. Yes, it does have a lot of improvements, including a more efficient circuit for longer runtime, a more robust bezel, etc.. So why keep the 120P when I have the Ra Clicky? Because the NovaTac is still a great light, and different than the Ra Clicky in a few ways (with slight advantages) that make it worth keeping:
    • NovaTac is more compact, and therefore lighter weight and more comfortable to pocket carry
    • Better clip - I like the new Ra ring clip, but the NovaTac ring clip has more surface area that touches the body of the light, and therefore somewhat more secure than the Ra.
    • No holes in body which is nice when you're not using a clip with screws attached
    • Can tail-stand with no wobble
    • For some reason, I like the feel of the "click" slightly better than my Ra - it feels more "flat" and somewhat more robust and faster. Although both are great
    • I like the fact that the clicky on the NovaTac can be replaced by buying a $20 tailcap, as opposed to a $40 body part for the Ra
    • It's another nearly-perfect creation by Henry
    • I can have a different emitter in each light designed for different tasks
    With that said, I will take the liberty as others have of adding one additional must-have vote following my initial submission, and add the NovaTac 120P.

Two of my must-have lights side by side:

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- 360 Votes so far!

Oh, I'm not knocking the original NovaTacs. I EDC'ed a 120P for a while, couldn't pass up a great deal on a second, and will probably never part with either of them - both currently in the to-be-modded queue.

I just can't list it as a "Must-Have, because

1. The original NovaTac runs are for-all-intents-and-purposes only available second-hand now.
    2. The currently-available Ra Clicky is a better light in almost every way. *
    3. NovaTac's current/refresh models are a big step in the wrong direction.

* I do prefer the size of original NovaTacs.

Oh, I'm not knocking the original NovaTacs. I EDC'ed a 120P for a while, couldn't pass up a great deal on a second, and will probably never part with either of them - both currently in the to-be-modded queue.

1. The original NovaTac runs are for-all-intents-and-purposes only available second-hand now.
    2. The currently-available Ra Clicky is a better light in almost every way. *
    3. NovaTac's current/refresh models are a big step in the wrong direction.

* I do prefer the size of original NovaTacs.

Are you sure? I just spoke to a NovaTac rep and the 120E and 120T are still made in the US, with no model changes with the exception of the spring added to the module a while back to better stabilize the battery. He also said that although the 120P version is not listed on the NovaTac website, the original 120Ps are still available through them.

Are you sure? I just spoke to a NovaTac rep and the 120E and 120T are still made in the US, with no model changes with the exception of the spring added to the module a while back to better stabilize the battery. He also said that although the 120P version is not listed on the NovaTac website, the original 120Ps are still available through them.

Unenlightened

HDS Ra Clicky
    Surefire LX2

my two favorite and most used lights

Unenlightened

HDS Ra Clicky
    Surefire LX2

my two favorite and most used lights

My personal must have list includes the following:

ZL H501
    Surefire LX2
    NDI (soon to be on AW14500)
    ITP A3 Eos
    Fenix EO1

These are the ones I nearly always have with me.

My personal must have list includes the following:

ZL H501
    Surefire LX2
    NDI (soon to be on AW14500)
    ITP A3 Eos
    Fenix EO1

These are the ones I nearly always have with me.

No, I'm not sure. If they are still producing the 120P in the US, I'll retract my comments. But, I have trouble believing they would maintain multiple manufacturing facilities, especially duplicate machining. I'd be more inclined to believe that the 120E/T/P's they are currently selling is the remaining stock from the old runs. There's no reason to discount them since they didn't bump the performance of the current models.

No, I'm not sure. If they are still producing the 120P in the US, I'll retract my comments. But, I have trouble believing they would maintain multiple manufacturing facilities, especially duplicate machining. I'd be more inclined to believe that the 120E/T/P's they are currently selling is the remaining stock from the old runs. There's no reason to discount them since they didn't bump the performance of the current models.

Well, all I can say is if they aren't telling the truth, at least they are consistent. I called them about a year ago due to another thread that was running at the time, and the person I talked to at NovaTac at that time said the same thing. The 120E/T/P models are still made in the US. The models (Storm, etc.) are made overseas. I can't confirm this obviously, but this is what I've been told when I've called NovaTac.

So moving on...

Well, all I can say is if they aren't telling the truth, at least they are consistent. I called them about a year ago due to another thread that was running at the time, and the person I talked to at NovaTac at that time said the same thing. The 120E/T/P models are still made in the US. The models (Storm, etc.) are made overseas. I can't confirm this obviously, but this is what I've been told when I've called NovaTac.

So moving on...

In no particular order:
    Fenix EO1
    ITP A3 EOS
    Fenix PD30 R4
    Surefire 6PL
    Power on Board H.I.D. spotlight
    Rayovac 3D 300 lumen lantern
    Fenix L2D/LD20
    Gerber Infinity Ultra
    Princeton Tec EOS headlight
    IlluminaTi R5

In no particular order:
    Fenix EO1
    ITP A3 EOS
    Fenix PD30 R4
    Surefire 6PL
    Power on Board H.I.D. spotlight
    Rayovac 3D 300 lumen lantern
    Fenix L2D/LD20
    Gerber Infinity Ultra
    Princeton Tec EOS headlight
    IlluminaTi R5