The Fenix-Store
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728293033 ... LastLast

Thread: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote! PART 2

Flashaholic*

Default Re: The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast your vote!

Quote Originally Posted by chanjyj View Post
    Not to go OT, but I have a feeling quite a few folks are voting for lights they own, leading to a serious misrepresentation in figures.
    Can you share the factual basis for your feeling that there is a serious misrepresentation here?
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Not to go OT, but I have a feeling quite a few folks are voting for lights they own, leading to a serious misrepresentation in figures.
    I think this is just a classic misunderstanding of the term 'Must Have'. This list is not a list of lights one wishes to acquire, but rather a list of lights that each poster feels to be really important to them and as such will mostly be lights that we have. Only rarely would they be lights we don't have.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Can you share the factual basis for your feeling that there is a serious misrepresentation here?
    Just as I feared, my 1 post is starting to derail the thread

Well, some posts like this make me wonder if that light is the only light the person owns and hence, a "must have".

Some others like the debate on 6P (as a host or not a host?) make me wonder if people vote for the 6P because they own it, and use it as a host (in that case, that doesn't make it a must-have does it? they could have used a C2 as a host but didn't)

I would much prefer if people explained their choices like this, or perhaps even like mine here.

Flashaholic*

Well, some posts like this make me wonder if that light is the only light the person owns and hence, a "must have".
    I guess there could be a rule that you must have 10x the number of lights you are voting for so that we can be sure you understand how good the light is compared to most - but that would be tricky to enforce, is it really worth the bother?

Obviously people shouldn't vote for lights that then don't have - how can you call a light a 'must have' if you don't have one? Also it is possible that you wont even like your 'want to have' light or that you just wont find it as useful as another light you own.

I voted for the Nitecore D10 - I've owned mine for about a year and it has been carried in my front left jeans pocket every day since it arrived. It displaced another light that I really liked and I do think that the D10 is better. I like the UI & the R2 performs very well, I also like that it can run from Alkaline, Lithium, NiCd, NiMH & Li-ion batteries of the AA size - talk about versatile! (others also run from the same batteries, but they don't also have the R2 emitter & the same piston drive switch & UI)
    But it is also too much trouble to ask all posters to provide an essay on why the light they are voting for is a 'must have' to them.

I do agree on the 'host' thing though - if you have altered your light significantly from stock than it is hardly the stock light that is your 'must have' so you shouldn't be recommending the stock light to all readers of this thread. I did vote for a ROP modded Maglite - because I consider that a must have, but no one should take from that vote that I think a standard Mag 2D from their sporting goods store is something that I consider a 'must have'.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Flashaholic*

If the light meets the criteria described at the top of the thread, I don't think any of your concerns matter. You have the option to start a new thread with different standards if you wish, though.

Just as I feared, my 1 post is starting to derail the thread

Some others like the debate on 6P (as a host or not a host?) make me wonder if people vote for the 6P because they own it, and use it as a host (in that case, that doesn't make it a must-have does it? they could have used a C2 as a host but didn't)

I would much prefer if people explained their choices like this, or perhaps even like mine here.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

A quick explanation of why a light is a "Must have" should be provided along with the vote itself.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    A quick explanation of why a light is a "Must have" should be provided along with the vote itself.
    And I can do that with any light that I've had added to the list.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Ok, time to refresh everyone on the rules and guiding principles of this thread. Below are the rules for casting votes for the list. I am not putting any other rules or qualifications in place. If these rules are adhered to, this list will continue to be useful and true to its purpose.

That being said, I did include the reasons why I was voting for my personal "must-haves". It is helpful for others to know why I think they should consider buying a partcular light (kind of like a mini-review), and can make for some interesting reading/discussion. I encourage everyone to do the same only because it is helpful and interesting, but it is not a qualification for adding a vote.

Rules from the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post

To fit in this category, it must meet the following criteria:
    • It has to be a "must have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straights)
    • It must be currently obtainable - there are numerous lights one may fit into this category for you that are a collectable, but are not reasonably attainable. It doesn't help to tell someone this is a "must have" light but they can't actually "have" one.
    • It must be a specific light - this is a specific "must have" flashlight for you, not a favorite manufacturer or line of flashlights
    Regarding the 6P and other modular lights commonly upgraded after purchase - you can find the rational and decision to include them in the Must-Have list in this post. A note to non-flashaholics and those new to the forum has been added to the OP regarding votes for these modular lights.

Flashaholic*

I keep looking at the results and thinking (after I think how much work Rich has put into this - thanks!) that it would be interesting to have tracked the results (votes) over time. My sense is that it has been fairly consistent over time, but that's just an impression.

I keep looking at the results and thinking (after I think how much work Rich has put into this - thanks!) that it would be interesting to have tracked the results (votes) over time. My sense is that it has been fairly consistent over time, but that's just an impression.
    Hi JNewell, I'm not sure what you mean. I actually am tracking the individual votes at the light level as well as by manufacturer as they are cast. What exactly did you have in mind? I keep a separate spreadsheet with a pivot table to help me keep the votes straight, so maybe I can produce what you were looking for.

Very excited to see the outcome as well.
    Life is good

Surefire 6P LED

Fenix E01!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Hi JNewell, I'm not sure what you mean. I actually am tracking the individual votes at the light level as well as by manufacturer as they are cast. What exactly did you have in mind? I keep a separate spreadsheet with a pivot table to help me keep the votes straight, so maybe I can produce what you were looking for.
    This probably sounds like I have too much free time to wonder about things, but what I was wondering about was whether there'd been any changes in the top 10 or 15 lights over time. Not small, individual changes (Light X moves from 5 to 6) but large swings (Three months into a six month poll, Light X goes from nothing to #2). Or, to put it maybe more practically, were the Ra Clickies always at or near the top? But it's at best an idle sort of question so, on second thought, don't bother even trying to answer!

Thanks/apologies
    John

This probably sounds like I have too much free time to wonder about things, but what I was wondering about was whether there'd been any changes in the top 10 or 15 lights over time. Not small, individual changes (Light X moves from 5 to 6) but large swings (Three months into a six month poll, Light X goes from nothing to #2). Or, to put it maybe more practically, were the Ra Clickies always at or near the top? But it's at best an idle sort of question so, on second thought, don't bother even trying to answer!

Thanks/apologies
    John
    Actually, that's a pretty interesting question IMO, and in a "high-level" sort of way we're going to do just that. Not at the 3 or 6 month level, but at the annual level. Meaning, the "Must-Have" list will always be a living, breathing list, but I will take a snapshot of the list (Top 10) as it stands on 12/31/2010 and post it at the bottom of the OP. Then we can see how the list evolves over time. It will be interesting to see how the innovations specific manufacturers make, and the arrival of new manufactures on the scene drives changes to the "Must-Have" list.

Flashaholic*

I think we are a minority of light user's that if you were to ask the rest of the world what is a must have light number 1 would probably be a maglight

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn7 View Post
    I think we are a minority of light user's that if you were to ask the rest of the world what is a must have light number 1 would probably be a maglight
    Majority of light users don't know any better.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

Majority of light users don't know any better.
    thats a given, but they then could look down their nose at us on any one of their passions that we are mediocre in ie: coffee,knives,cars,computers,phones,houses,shoes/clothes well any thing really I suppose it just down to education/money/priorities

thats a given, but they then could look down their nose at us on any one of their passions that we are mediocre in ie: coffee,knives,cars,computers,phones,houses,shoes/clothes well any thing really I suppose it just down to education/money/priorities
    LOL

Speak for yourself.

LOL

Speak for yourself.

This is an evolving thread as some of us have purchased new lights since first posting.

I'd like to add Malkoff MD2 M61 with H/L ring and Mac's Customs SST-50 Drop-in for those of us who love our big mags.
    There can never be too much honey to lick off your fingers.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    Hmmm my sentiments as well - maybe it was a joke

Hmmm my sentiments as well - maybe it was a joke
    In a way.

To clarify, it was meant as a way of saying that even though I can't afford many of the finer things in Life, I still like to know what they are. Which brands have that Uber great reputation for quality.

Whether it be Voodoo for computers, Randall-Made knives for knives, or . . . Well, Greta would know more about shoes than I do. But as far as sneakers, New Balance.

With computers and item-specific forums so common, there's no good reason not to be better informed.

Quark AA^2 Tactical Neutral White

Flashaholic

I would like to add a vote: Ra clicky (i have high CRI).

1-Perfect beam (and color rendition in my model);
    2-great feeling in my hand;
    3-it's truly rugged, 100g of max strenght, i think i can abuse it forever;
    4-good amount of power, at the same level of other 1xCR lights, you have to consider i have the 100 lumens version..
    5- great customizable UI, anyone can have its cup of tea.

if I had bought before this flashlight I saved a lot of money

The best...Fenix E01...

I think every flashaholic should have a mini pig keychain!

I have already said that the H501 is a must-have (already counted above), but I want to add a vote for the Ra clicky (high CRI). I got one based on this very Must-Have thread and now it is my most used and trusted light. I think that I would gladly give (almost...) all my other lights up in order to keep this one--a true Must-Have. From the feel in the hand, to the gorgeous beam and incredible color rendition, this is a spectacular light that really does it all.

I want to also add the 4Sevens MiNi CR2 which lives on my keychain at all times. I use it at least 3-4 times per week and it has saved my hide on a number of occasions when I didn't have another light nearby. The thing is, the CR2 is so potent that despite it's small size, it can do the work of a BIG light--at least for a time.

In sum, I have three lights that I feel are "Must-Haves" for me or for anyone, and I would give up all but these if I had to:

1. The Zebralight H501 (already counted--I have the warm)
    2. The Ra Clicky (please count this now--I have the high CRI)
    3. The 4Sevens MiNi CR2 (please count this now--I have the Ti)

Thanks so much for this brilliant thread!
    Galadriel: I give you the light of Ešrendil, our most beloved star. May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out.

OP updated with all votes!

Quote Originally Posted by anjari_br View Post
    The best...Fenix E01...
    That one's moving up the list (not exactly sure why...) I just never saw the appeal of it after seeing the beam and angry blue tint...

Quote Originally Posted by Granville View Post
    I think every flashaholic should have a mini pig keychain!

Your pic didn't come through...didn't add it to the list as I assume you're joking.....I think my daughter has one of these pig keychains though..

Quote Originally Posted by applevision View Post
    I have already said that the H501 is a must-have (already counted above), but I want to add a vote for the Ra clicky (high CRI). I got one based on this very Must-Have thread and now it is my most used and trusted light. I think that I would gladly give (almost...) all my other lights up in order to keep this one--a true Must-Have. From the feel in the hand, to the gorgeous beam and incredible color rendition, this is a spectacular light that really does it all.

I want to also add the 4Sevens MiNi CR2 which lives on my keychain at all times. I use it at least 3-4 times per week and it has saved my hide on a number of occasions when I didn't have another light nearby. The thing is, the CR2 is so potent that despite it's small size, it can do the work of a BIG light--at least for a time.

In sum, I have three lights that I feel are "Must-Haves" for me or for anyone, and I would give up all but these if I had to:

1. The Zebralight H501 (already counted--I have the warm)
    2. The Ra Clicky (please count this now--I have the high CRI)
    3. The 4Sevens MiNi CR2 (please count this now--I have the Ti)

Thanks so much for this brilliant thread!
    Thanks for the feedback applevison - much appreciated! It is hard to keep up with at times, but it's worth it as I watch it progress.

You hit the nail on the head with the Ra Clicky - one of my true must-haves as well. I loved it so much I also bought the Twisty High CRI, and it just adds yet another layer of "bomb-proof-ness". Every time I switch them on, I just can't get over the color rendering and beautiful beam. Not the brightest light, but it doesn't matter - it has all I ever need for close/medium range use.

I'm also with you on the CR2 MiNi. I carry it in my pocket (not on my keychain) everyday. I can't count it as one of my must-haves though, because I'd rather be carrying my Aeon. Once Scott does his magic to it, the CR2 MiNi will be relegated to backup duty.

As for the Zebralight H501 - that may well be my next light purchase. It is too highly regarded as one of the most useful lights out there for me not to give it a try...

Flashaholic*

Looks like I'm going to have to get one of those Ra clickies, based on this poll/thread!

If/when I do, do I list as the reason "because Rich's Must-Have List told me to"?

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1316171819202122232425262728293033 ... LastLast