Will rifle recoil damage a decent light like Fenix or 4Sevens?

0311Hoosier

Newly Enlightened
I ask this because I recently found out that there is no pressure switch made for the Quark Turbo X that I recently bought, and that means I can't mount the thing. After I received it I thought it would be great on my rifle, so I looked into it.

No go says 4Sevens because they say the recoil will damage the light/batteries.

Is this a problem that guys were having, or is their fix in the battery compartment a solution in search of a problem? Are all SF lights that are frequently mounted on the AR15 platform made differently to withstand sustained recoil?

Thanks guys. :wave:

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
I ask this because I recently found out that there is no pressure switch made for the Quark Turbo X that I recently bought, and that means I can't mount the thing. After I received it I thought it would be great on my rifle, so I looked into it.

No go says 4Sevens because they say the recoil will damage the light/batteries.

Is this a problem that guys were having, or is their fix in the battery compartment a solution in search of a problem? Are all SF lights that are frequently mounted on the AR15 platform made differently to withstand sustained recoil?

Thanks guys. :wave:

I don't know much about this subject, but i guess it would depend on the type of rifle you are using. Gear reviewer "nutnfancy" on youtube mounted a Q Turbo on a few guns and it appeared to turn out OK.

nbp

Flashaholic
The SF lights that are usually mounted to have heavy springs in the tailcap and the back of the LA so the batteries "float" and can jostle back and forth without smashing into anything solid. Plus, they also offer shock isolated bezels for use on weapons.

You *might* get away with another light not designed for it on a weapon, or you might put it on and kill it right away.

tam17

Enlightened
Speaking of Fenix, there are models specifically designed to withstand a repeated recoil of a rifle (for instance TK15). Not every flashlight is capable of this. I don't know about 4Sevens.

Cheers,

Tam

chanjyj

Enlightened
The lights themselves will not get damaged. What will get damaged is the batteries within.

0311Hoosier

Newly Enlightened
The lights themselves will not get damaged. What will get damaged is the batteries within.

What is the likelihood of this happening? It's not that I want to cut corners; I merely want to know if the issue justifies the nearly double priced light. If it's a real danger, I'll spend the money.

I'm just curious I suppose.

chanjyj

Enlightened
What is the likelihood of this happening? It's not that I want to cut corners; I merely want to know if the issue justifies the nearly double priced light. If it's a real danger, I'll spend the money.

I'm just curious I suppose.

If using 2 CR123s? 100% likely.

Heck, I drop my TK10 on the floor and the CR123s start denting after a while (they impact each other and the nipple from the +ve of the bottom CR123 dents the -ve of the top CR123).

But one thing is that my batteries continue to work. How much abuse will it take? I don't know. I drop it a few times, albeit at a pretty high heigh of 1m plus. Firing a 30 round magazine will be akin to dropping it 30 times maybe?

bstrickler

Enlightened

Also the electronics, if they're not potted, to prevent them from being able to move.

If the electronics are potted (which they aren't, in 4Sevens lights, other than maybe the G5), its lifespan will depend on how large/heavy the components are. The bigger/heavier they are, the more likely they are to be damaged.

~Brian

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
What calibre rifle and how often will you be shooting it with the light attached? Also, how dependable do you need the light to be in a given situation? Recoil packs quite a whallop, and always in exactly the same very focused direction- even a high quality regular rifle scope will eventually be destroyed if mounted on an ordinary kid's air rifle because their very mild recoil goes in two directions and not just one. If you are going to be firing your rifle often, you might consider how the light you are thinking of would hold up if consistently dropped from a height onto a hard surface (with the impact corresponding to the calibre) that many times. Any light is going to work the first time, and after that it depends... personally I would be extra wary of multi-mode lights but maybe that's just me.

Added via edit: Regarding the possibility of batteries being damaged, I'm reminded that in my enforcement days Surefire weaponlights originally came with their CR123s sealed into a single unit by shrink tube sorts of things. From what I could see, our SRT guys would just insert regular loose batteries as replacements but perhaps SF knew something our guys didn't. Since SF refuses sell to Canadians and Canucks therefore normally have to pay a ghastly premium to importers to get anything recent from them in that marketing line, I haven't been able to follow up in my semi-retired civvy life and they may have discontinued the sealed unit practice.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the 4 Sevens Maelstrom G5 was made to attach to a rifle and was tested as such. There is also a pressure switch available for it.

entoptics

Enlightened
I doubt an AR15 will have enough wallop to damage a 7777 light, but you'd be "at your own risk" if it did break for some reason (even unrelated to shooting).

As mentioned above, nutnfancy from YouTube has shown several Quarks in his vids with zero problems. That dude shoots a fair amount, so if it's not busting on him, I would imagine it's probably OK. For the price of a SureFire, you could buy two or 3 Turbos, so perhaps it's worth doing your own research and trying the light out if you can work around the lack of a pressure switch.

If you have to rely on the light for "real", I'd go with a dedicated rig though. An EagleTac, O-light, Maelstrom G5, or similar would be a great choice that won't bust the bank like a SureFire.

Avoid rechargeable batteries though. As mentioned the batteries take a beating, and disposable cells will generally withstand the beating until they are tossed. A rechargeable on the other hand, doesn't get tossed, so it would get beat over and over.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my instant thought: in the most cases a light survives droping it on a hard ground from some meter height, and a rifle recoil hardly reach to the impact of a drop to the ground.

0311Hoosier

Newly Enlightened
I doubt an AR15 will have enough wallop to damage a 7777 light, but you'd be "at your own risk" if it did break for some reason (even unrelated to shooting).

As mentioned above, nutnfancy from YouTube has shown several Quarks in his vids with zero problems. That dude shoots a fair amount, so if it's not busting on him, I would imagine it's probably OK. For the price of a SureFire, you could buy two or 3 Turbos, so perhaps it's worth doing your own research and trying the light out if you can work around the lack of a pressure switch.

If you have to rely on the light for "real", I'd go with a dedicated rig though. An EagleTac, O-light, Maelstrom G5, or similar would be a great choice that won't bust the bank like a SureFire.

Avoid rechargeable batteries though. As mentioned the batteries take a beating, and disposable cells will generally withstand the beating until they are tossed. A rechargeable on the other hand, doesn't get tossed, so it would get beat over and over.

Thanks for your input, and that's a good point about the batteries. Using disposables would be a good idea for a rifle light.

To those that have asked about the caliber of the rifle in question. It's just a standard 5.56mm AR15, and I use mil-spec M193 ball ammo. It's pretty hot, so there is a decent amount of recoil (even though it's 5.56!)

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
OK, it wasn't clear to me if you were referring to the AR15-mounted class of weapon lights or to an actual AR15. Anyway, recoil effects can and will add up- remember the proverb of dripping water wearing away stone. I have the personal example of a .117 air rifle (my son's) wrecking a perfectly good rifle scope (mine) and that involved no more recoil than would squash a fruitfly. Less, since it was only the spring rebounding that did the damage, coming after the original minute push backwards.

Voider

Enlightened
Mr. Bigglow,
Not to change the subject, but air rifles have special scopes made for them just because of this issue. Firearms' scopes are meant to endure recoil in the opposite direction of air rifles. If you were to mount a firearm scope on an air rifle BACKWARDS it might not have been damaged. (And of course it would not have been useful. :) ) Air rifles tend to "slam" their air pistons forward causing a "reverse recoil." It sounds like balony, but I've heard it many times from air rifle owners. BTW, I'm not implying that your original point is not valid - just trying to help with the air rifle issue. (Should probably have PM'd you on this - sorry.)

As for the OP's question, I put into practice the "two is one, one is none," theory. I keep a Nailbender XML (potted) and a Malkoff M61 (known for toughness) both in SF 6P's on a 7.62x51 battle carbine. I'll comment further on their longevity after more trigger time :)

-Tom

Last edited:

Voider

Enlightened
Oops,
I should have read your posts more clearly, Mr Bigglow. Was so excited to have something to offer that I responded with info you already knew. My apologies, sir and folks.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
Oops,
I should have read your posts more clearly, Mr Bigglow. Was so excited to have something to offer that I responded with info you already knew. My apologies, sir and folks.

No problem at all, Voider. But where were you 10-15 years ago when my son and I thought it would be kewl to mount my big $550 Leupold scope on his little $40 pellet rifle? :(

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things to check -
Are there springs on both sides of the battery tube?
Is the body the standard 1" size for weapons mounting?

I've killed many lights trying to mount them to my pistol grip 870... These same lights performed admirably mounted
to .22s, 9mms, .45s.... I call it the 12 ga. test - if it can withstand 12 pellets of 00 buck at 1,280 fps for at least a dozen
rounds, you should be OK!!!!

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
It's all about controlling battery movement. If you can keep them from beating back and forth; the light will likely survive. To prevent injury, race car drivers pull the belts as tight as possible to hold them against a hard seat. The physics inside of a flashlight is no different. I would prefer a hard stop at one end and a very short stiff spring at the other. Since you are shooting an AR15 don't worry about it. There is almost no recoil.

Voider

Enlightened
No problem at all, Voider. But where were you 10-15 years ago when my son and I thought it would be kewl to mount my big $550 Leupold scope on his little $40 pellet rifle? :(

Ouch! Clearly Murphy's law prevents Bushnell/Tasco/Simmons/etc. from being the victim. Ironically, a pellet gun guy told me "even a Leupold can't endure" those unique recoil properties. (At least it wasn't a $1500 Zeiss/Swarovski/Leica....)

Last edited: