Klarus        

Thread: Flashaholics vs. Newbies?

Default Flashaholics vs. Newbies?

Exactly how does one graduate from the unwashed masses of the Newbie category to the elite and well-respected ranks of the Flashaholics? I've been a member here for awhile, made a few posts, and generally feel connected and a sense of community with the others here who like to use the finest tools available to eliminate the scourge of darkness. Being a flashaholic won't help pad a resume' or sway votes for a political office, but along with the secret handshake and lapel pin shows a commitment to an organization. Any advice or wisdom would be appreciated.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Flashaholics vs. Newbies?

Use best Kung-Fu voice:

Grasshopper, many moon may pass horizon or less than one to evolve to the realm of flashaholic. The transformation is not measured in time but in action. Perhaps with a few more deeds here in this humble thread enlightenment shall be achieved. Soon your journey will be complete.

Turn you Kung-Fu voice off: It takes 10 post.

Yes, 20 post. I meant to say 10 post twice. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Err DD... it takes 20 posts according to the FAQ ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I guess I should crawl back down to the dark places where flashlights fear to go for not having read the FAQ page. That's what separates those worthy of being Flashaholics from the rank and file Newbies.

Thanks for the info, DieselDave and B@rt. I'll work on getting a few more posts under my belt and try to get my Flashaholic merit badge. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Retired Account

I thought it was 1000 posts....

Flashaholic*

As a newbie who is now dubbed "flashaholic" by his post-counts, I would like to see the post-counts go up...1000 is not a bad number, actually, LOL!

I am still *_very_* much a newbie to this community!

Allen
    aka DumboRAT

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    DumboRAT said:

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you are not even close to a newbie in the airsoft world [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img]

Enlightened

Airsoft? hey, more airsofters on CPF! nice.

TM M733, KJW M92-F, UHC MP5-SD3

Brian

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
    darkwater said:

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...may be we are going to turn this thread into an airsoft thread...but hey, it's the off topic thread [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SP M40A1, TM CAR-15, KSC Glock 18C.....and I kind of want to get one of those CA M-16 series guns [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

I must be close to graduating. Interesting that I have more LED flashlights now than posts. I think I have more ARC lights than posts.

Whoooeee!!! I done graduated! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

I believe that at 1000 posts you get a star by your name. Kind of like a stripe on your belt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
    doubleganger said:
    I believe that at 1000 posts you get a star by your name. Kind of like a stripe on your belt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'm pretty certain that was stopped a couple of months back. Those who had stars could keep them, but no new ones would be appended. And those who didn't have them would not receive one when they passed 1,000 posts.

darn, one less thing to live for. the list gets shorter by the day. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif[/img]

the star system has been stopped a few weeks ago because of the "fluff post"-issue. since this is a rather sensitive issue now, I'd advice against and excessive discussion of this again, before Mistress Sasha shows up with her whip ...
    maybe this will change in the future, but I think it might be best not to ask right now ... just my EUR 0.02.
    bernhard

p.s.: there is an extensive thread in The Café about this, search for "fluff post" and read carefully and you'll understand the problem

Ditto to kiessling

Don't ask about post counts or how many posts you need to get bla-bla-bla. Just live your happy life, post whenever you need (or want to) and just forget how many posts that you already made.
    This is a really sensitive issue and should not be ressurected in anyway.

btw, Welcome to CPF, Radargreg [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    hope you enjoy this forum [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't do it
    Nobody saw me do it
    You can't prove anything (bart simpson)

subject dropped like a hot horseshoe.
    edit: make that a red hot horseshoe.

[ QUOTE ]
    6pOriginal said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    darkwater said:

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm...may be we are going to turn this thread into an airsoft thread...but hey, it's the off topic thread [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SP M40A1, TM CAR-15, KSC Glock 18C.....and I kind of want to get one of those CA M-16 series guns [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Airsoft is for wimps who can't take the sting of a paintball. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I didn't want to turn this discussion into a class warfare (Newbies vs. Flashaholics, stars vs. no stars, etc), but thought the title of Flashaholic sounded pretty cool. I've got a nice collection of flashlights and other assorted glowing goodies, but know I'll never match the true light junkies here. I do like the sense of community and the exchange of ideas, reviews and tips.

Since this thread has taken a turn I had not expected to the subject of Airsoft, perhaps I could solicit some opinions on it as well. I was interested in getting the Tokyo Mauri M4 RIS Airsoft rifle and wondered if anyone has had any experience with it? I was also interested in the G36C rifle. As I live in Germany, it would be very cool to have it and skirmish in full German Army gear. Thanks again,

Enlightened

TM M4RIS: got a good friend with a TM M4 and it is really nice and upgradeable. I've looked at the RIS and the RIS seemed to be pretty flimsy to me (but I dont know how they actually hold up). It does look cool, but not sure if its worth the money.

Dont know about the G36C. But it too looks like a nice gun

Brian

Flashaholic*

Radar and All,

Radar, if you would like to pursue airsoft discussion, I would recommend the www.AirsoftPlayers.com Forums, or, if you prefer a site closer to you, the UKAN Forums.

=)

Let's not hijack this thread too badly!

===============================

All --

Any way that we can petition to have a small function added to the member profile, to elect to remain "newbies?"

I hate to present as someone I'm not, and I definitely do not feel that I know enough about flashlights to be classified as a "flashaholic" just yet -- I'm still very much an "open the package and play with it" kind of guy, nowhere near the level of my various flashaholic friends.

Or maybe I should just put "still a newbie" as my .sig?!

=)

Allen
    aka DumboRAT

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
    DumboRAT said:

Allen
    aka DumboRAT

[/ QUOTE ] Allen I am with you I look at what these guys do MrBulk, Wane, McGizmo I hate to list names there are so many talented smart people here machinists the reviewers electrical wizards to many to list I would leave some out [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] Thank you guys.I spend much of my time here in Awe..........I will be a newbie for a long time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Flashaholic*

DumboRAT can't be that much of a newbie, he suckered me over here with an L4 post on AirsoftPlayers. Until then I couldn't believe that anyone would pay $60 for a light and was happy in my ignorance. Now I have two really expensive hobbies, but lots of flashlight blinded friends...I can't wait to use my McModule in CQB. Those guys won't stand against the combined power of McGizmo and Mr. Bulk! I probably won't even have to take a shot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif[/img] Now if I can find a remote tape switch and RIS mount for my SNII... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just because you don't mod flashlights like the big guys here...doesn't mean you're not a flashaholic. Do you find yourself exhibiting compulsive and/or addictive behaviour when it comes to your flashlights? hehe If yes..then you're a flashaholic...

Flashaholic*

*gasp* Oh no!

David <><

hey... wait a second... it's people that don't appreciate lights that are the real weirdos! lol

David <><

I still think that at least the *'s should be turned back on!!! Getting rid of the post count was bad enough...

Oh ya, here Sasha, I'll save you the trouble. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif[/img]