Best single 18650 Flashlight

dondulah

Newly Enlightened
So we have seen enough of these threads over the years, but new lights are coming out all of the time, and the threads become outdated. In terms of quality of the body/switch, quality of beam, and of course output, what is the best out there right now under $150. Should have at least H,M,L and single 18650. Thanks in advance for your input.

Title edited for clarity - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Billy Berue

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best single 18650

ZL SC600 gets my vote. (and a neutral version is due out next month, which should be even better IMO).

MashBill

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best single 18650

ZL SC600 gets my vote. (and a neutral version is due out next month, which should be even better IMO).

+1! There may be better lights out there, but I don't know of any. My SC60 and SC600 lights are my constant "go to" lights. Even if I am carrying a different light, I always have one of the SC's with me.

Johnno

Newly Enlightened
+100 on the Zebralight SC600. There are a few others out there that are at least in the same ball park, but they don't come close when you consider all aspects of the entire package. (Size, weight, modes, brightness, finish, interface, feel, etc.)

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you dont mind the extra size... My Armytek Predator has been my favorite single 18650 light since i got it.

great pocketable thrower, very low outputs, efficient, very well designed, best matte finish ive seen, perfect tint (since you're able to custom order which XP-G bin you want in yours).

My Previous favorite was a 18650 bored white C2, with McClicky switch, and NB warm XM-L drop-in.

TDK9

Newly Enlightened
Spark SL6-800 is lighter then Zebralight SC600. Good EDC.
Armytek Predator is good flashlight, but isn't so comfortable to use.

shortstack

Enlightened
EagleTac T20C2 MK II XM-L High Output!!!! when the newest best led comes out you can simply swap the drop-ins.

mrlysle

Enlightened
EagleTac T20C2 MK II XM-L High Output!!!! when the newest best led comes out you can simply swap the drop-ins.

I also have that light, and it's definitely a contender. But I'm giving the edge to my Zebralight SC600 because of what I feel is a better UI. Love this thing! And I really wish there was a lower low on the ET. But the head twist UI, which for me requires 2 hands is what puts it in second place behind the SC600. YMMV.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Those are tough requirements ... $150, 1x18650, at least three levels. My vote would go to the Pocket Rocket by Download. The 5th, 6th & 7th runs use the SST-50 & the 8th run has the XM-L - all are superb lights, selling new at $130. These sometimes come up in The Marketplace.

I have the Ti version of the 8th run ($280), and would think the Al version would exhibit the same attention to detail at half the price. Flawless beam, simple UI, great quality.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Armytek Predator, I think, edges out the SC600 since it's already available in acceptable tints (neutral and warm...no high CRI, though :sigh: ) and doesn't have a gimmicky UI (no way to go straight to high if the light is already on? Really? :ohgeez:).

Get the predator if you need a thrower, else get the SC600w when it comes out. They're both best in class right now, so you can't go wrong with either unless you have special needs.

--flatline

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should look at Armytek. They are a new company but their customer service has been great and I love my light. Its programmable (very cool and fun, but can be challenging), you can choose your tint and reflector, and they are priced extremely well. There are lots of options out there but I recommend you check them out.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Armytek Predator, I think, edges out the SC600 since it's already available in acceptable tints (neutral and warm...no high CRI, though :sigh: ) and doesn't have a gimmicky UI (no way to go straight to high if the light is already on? Really? :ohgeez:).

Get the predator if you need a thrower, else get the SC600w when it comes out. They're both best in class right now, so you can't go wrong with either unless you have special needs.

--flatline

I ordered my Predator with a 90+ high CRI XP-G 3000k.

its UI is programmable, and the options for set-up is huge. and the "head tighten" position modes can easily be re-programmed on the fly. Ive found the programming UI better and easier to use then my HDS clicky.
only thing i dont like is that you require 2 hands to change modes, because you have to twist the bezel back and forth, or tighten or loosen the bezel.

but like many have said, if you want a thrower, the Predator is the best while still being able to fit in your front pocket.

SC600 is nice, bright, and compact. but for me, having to lock-out the tailcap gets irritating sometimes.

maybe a good p60 host, thatll fit an 18650? timeless format.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
sc600 is one of those consensus lights around here. I already knew what most of the answers would be just from the title.

I have a real aversion to the idea of specialized hobbyist batteries that require any maintenance beyond insert & discard, but if any light would ever motivate me to accept peeling off labels to make them fit, measuring voltages, & taking temperatures (or whatever else is required), it will be the sc600. A U.I. that can jump instantly to low or high, 750 to .1 lumens & everything in between, and all in a 4.2" x 1.1" form factor that's legitimately pocketable! So come on Z.L. hurry up with that q50 before I get in over my head & burn my house down or charge up a bomb!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered my Predator with a 90+ high CRI XP-G 3000k.

its UI is programmable, and the options for set-up is huge. and the "head tighten" position modes can easily be re-programmed on the fly. Ive found the programming UI better and easier to use then my HDS clicky.
only thing i dont like is that you require 2 hands to change modes, because you have to twist the bezel back and forth, or tighten or loosen the bezel.

but like many have said, if you want a thrower, the Predator is the best while still being able to fit in your front pocket.

SC600 is nice, bright, and compact. but for me, having to lock-out the tailcap gets irritating sometimes.

maybe a good p60 host, thatll fit an 18650? timeless format.

skyfire- I thought that was required only of the old z.l. models (with the larger buttons). Since they started putting in the newer, smaller, more recessed buttons that require more force to activate, have you read of anyone's turning on spontaneously in pocket?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
maybe a good p60 host, that'll fit an 18650? timeless format.
+1

A very high quality light can be assembled for $150.

Start with a SF C2 Centurion (hard anodized) that's currently on sale at LAPoliceGear for $54.99, then use coupon SECRET10 which lowers the price to $44.99. http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-c2-closeout.html

Have the light bored for 18650, between $20-$40 from a number of CPF members.

Purchase the drop in of your choice, with at least a dozen to pick from. I have not used the ThruNite version, but it gets great reviews here, has 3 levels, and is rated 300 lumens OTF: http://www.batteryjunction.com/thrunite-3mode-p60-r5.html Be sure to use the discount code CPF2011 which discounts the order by 5%.

Not bad to end up with a light that has legendary SF durability, runs a high powered drop in (that can be swapped out when something more appealing comes along) & runs the most popular battery available :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Lighteous

Enlightened
I also have that light, and it's definitely a contender. But I'm giving the edge to my Zebralight SC600 because of what I feel is a better UI. Love this thing! And I really wish there was a lower low on the ET. But the head twist UI, which for me requires 2 hands is what puts it in second place behind the SC600. YMMV.

My thoughts exactly! I love the versatility of the ET's interchangeable modules (I have all four), but it really needs a lower low. The SC600 gets my vote.

flame2000

Enlightened
One vote for the soon to be release Zebralight SC600W! :thumbsup:
- Neutral tint
- Outstanding runtime and current regulation.
- Side clicky....when you pick up the light, the thumb is where it is!
- Low low mode of 0.1lm
- Best UI....quick access to low or high mode!
- Natural color....not the typical Black anodizing.

I wish they throw in a holster next time! :naughty: