Wire type/gauge question?

mjlee60

Newly Enlightened
Hey, can anyone tell me what kind/gauge of wire I should use to connect a 1.2V nimh battery to a 5mm white led. I'm a total noob so any help would be awesome. Thanks!

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an extra USB cable or network cable laying around?
Cut it up and use whats inside it'll work fine, some USB cables even have teflon coated wire ie. it won't shrink back when soldering (don't solder a battery! :poof:)

moderator007

Enlightened
Any thing bigger than 24 awg should work fine. Also i say bigger, in wire guages the number gets smaller as the wire gets bigger. 24 awg should be good for 3 amps if the wire is keep short. The 5 mm led will not use any where near this. If you tell me your operating curret to the led that would be helpful. You maybe able to use alot smaller wire if your not drawing alot of current. 24 awg is pretty small already. Also i dont think the led will light up at 1.2v.

Outrider

Newly Enlightened
First - Welcome to CPF !

I would suggest 22 ga solid wire. You could use 24 ga as the current draw will be in the low mA
( 1 mA = 0.001 amps ) however i believe you will find 22 ga solid easer to work with. Good luck with your project.

mjlee60

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses! I read that telephone wire is either 22 or 24 gauge and I have a lot laying around so I'l give that a shot. I think my led is around 40mA so I hope the thickness of the wire doesn't matter too much for 2 feet of wire.

moderator007

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses! I read that telephone wire is either 22 or 24 gauge and I have a lot laying around so I'l give that a shot. I think my led is around 40mA so I hope the thickness of the wire doesn't matter too much for 2 feet of wire.

At 40ma a piece, you could run 20 or more and be safe.