Klarus P1A VS. JetBeam BA10

JNieporte

Enlightened
I just got my Klarus P1A today. I had a JetBeam BA10, but sold it. These appear to be the same light. Both are putting out ~140 ANSI lumens on high and ~12 ANSI lumens on low (had both tested). Both use an XP-G R5 emitter. Same user interface, and almost identical amount of "twist" is used to switch modes. Both have a "squishy" forward clicky. Specs are very similar. The tailcaps are identical, right down to the white plastic switch with "silver-plated connect points". Same (exact) beam profile / throw / spill / tint. The clips are just a tad different, as are the heads, but it seems they could be made in the same factory. Hmm... same province in China (Guangdong) but different addresses.

I can't shake the thought that the Klarus P1A and JetBeam BA10 are the same light, with the exception of a few minor cosmetic differences. Anybody else have both, or any thoughts on this?

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my Klarus P1A today. I had a JetBeam BA10, but sold it. These appear to be the same light. Both are putting out ~140 ANSI lumens on high and ~12 ANSI lumens on low (had both tested). Both use an XP-G R5 emitter. Same user interface, and almost identical amount of "twist" is used to switch modes. Both have a "squishy" forward clicky. Specs are very similar. The tailcaps are identical, right down to the white plastic switch with "silver-plated connect points". Same (exact) beam profile / throw / spill / tint. The clips are just a tad different, as are the heads, but it seems they could be made in the same factory. Hmm... same province in China (Guangdong) but different addresses.

I can't shake the thought that the Klarus P1A and JetBeam BA10 are the same light, with the exception of a few minor cosmetic differences. Anybody else have both, or any thoughts on this?

I'd bet dollars to donuts they're made in the same factory. It seems that the bigger light companies are outsourcing their design now; look at the LD40 and the PA40. These factories probably have a particular design and a set of options they offer for manufacturing, thus very little variety in some of the lights we're seeing.

There is a very similar situation with bicycles, as there really are only three big manufacturers anymore. Giant is one, and Meredith is another; not sure if it's still true, but when I was back in college and working as a bicycle mechanic, 90% of all mass produced bikes were made in either China or Taiwan. You could open a $500 Specialized and a $500 Marin and except for paint and minor differences in components, they'd be virtually the same bike.

1anrm

Enlightened
JNieporte,
Since you had both which one feels better in the hand? I have a BA10 and I feel the knurling is not enough. How is the P1A?
thanks.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost all the light companies do the same thing that the Japanese companies have done for decades.
They source parts from various other factories.

I'm sure there are one or two factories making the tubes, heads and tail. Another may make the reflector. Someone else makes the circuit boards and maybe another who makes the glass lenses or switches. Each company probably then just assembles the light.

Many of the newer manufacturers are spin offs of existing companies that either contracted to make lights for other importers or retailers or are now at and out divisions of other manufacturers. It will be very very hard to find out who own who and who actually makes what components.

jondotcom

Enlightened
edit-

I pulled the trigger on a Klarus P1A due to the clip facing the proper way :).
Looks like it will be a good light.

Last edited:

kreisler

Banned
i bet my b*tt that the Klarus wont work with 14500 .. simply because the specs say so ("Working Voltage: 0.9V - 1.8V"). maybe someone could ask Klarus directly.. since it is reported that the Jetbeam BA10 can be run on 14500's (and the Jetbeam website gives no official voltage range).

So what about the tint of the Klarus P1A? How is it on both modes (greenish, blueish, purplish, cold)?

a friend has seen it for 16 bucks or something and i would want to buy it ONLY BECAUSE of the sale. i certainly dont NEED another 1x AA EDC light. i already own some great lights better than the Klarus imho: Quark X AA, Xeno E03 XML, and the legendary RC-29a.
aklarusholsterp1ap1c.jpg

SashiX

Newly Enlightened
Will Klarus work with 14500? Looks like JB can.
Nah, maybe it's too late, but whatever, just FYI: confirmed, works w/o problems with 14500. Both, low and high, are (much) brighter. Still don't recommend running on HI until it gets hot (just in case :) )

PS: hi there, kreis :grin2:

speedsix

Enlightened
Nah, maybe it's too late, but whatever, just FYI: confirmed, works w/o problems with 14500. Both, low and high, are (much) brighter. Still don't recommend running on HI until it gets hot (just in case :) )

Confirmed which one? I know the JB will run 14500 because I tested it. I have not tried it in my PA1 because I don't want to fry it.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

You mean the cletus?
Have you tried the 14500 in the P1A?
Or who claims such outrageous claims?

Chao Alej

SashiX

Newly Enlightened
Speedsix/shelm, have you read my entire post? :grin2: Read that quote too ;) Sorry, don't have any lightmeter (or whatever), but I would say it's about as twice as bright with 14500. I think that it's bright enough with 1xAA, but with 14500 it rocks! Do it on your own risk though!

By the way, speedsix. In the other thread (about P1A), you have mention that if you turn the head very carefully/slowly, you can get "medium" mode as well :) Have tried that and it works! Quite difficult to get that "third" mode, but yeah, it's there :grin2: (don't know why, but it reminds me that black stuff Don used to sell, more pressure - more light)