My brother's a sailor, suggestions for a birthday flashlight for him?

astrojay

Newly Enlightened
My brother is a recreational sailor, albeit a very serious one. He has his own International One Design, and is navigator on a successful 65' racing yacht and is past Commodore of his Yacht Club. I'd like to get him a nice flashlight for his upcoming birthday, one that could be multipurpose, but especially useful while boating. I'm somewhat concerned about the effects of "white" light on night vision, but I still feel that a good, handheld light would make an appropriate gift for him. I have a couple of 4Sevens lights I'm fond of, especially the Quark 123/2. Something like that would probably be fine, but I'm open to suggestions for something more suitable for him. I'd like to hold the cost to under $100.
I've spent hours perusing the forums and have run across a lot of candidates, but I'd appreciate ideas from you flashaholics.

Thanks.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG0007-8.jpg

Brass Peak Logan

RkyMtn

Newly Enlightened
+1 on that lovely Brass Peak logan!

If I was on the seas, I would be happy with a 4Seven's Quark Mini Titanium AA.

You are a wonderful sister!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
A stainless steel Logan would be far more practical for salt resistance, you would want to order the key chain body for lanyard attachment rather than the pocket body shown above. The SS Logan should take everything thrown at it.
Norm

Last edited:

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
My younger brother is a captain who sails boats for deliveries quite often. I have given him a few flashlights, but the one he loves the most is a simple tank 737 aspheric Cree XR-E Q5. He uses it to find and read buoy markers when sailing into harbors where he is not familiar. A laser is useful for locating the markers, but a tight beam light is most useful for reading the markers on the buoys to know your location.

He told me he was sailing into the Cape Cod area, and they were meeting a team at the docks. They were on the radio, but the dock team still couldn't see the boat in the bay. The crew waved their flashlights an nothing. My brother came around the stern, turned on the Tank, and the guys on the radio could be heard saying "Holy poop, we see you now, turn that off, you're blinding us." They couldn't believe that such a small light could be seen so far off when they got a chance to ask him about it.

So when he got back home from the last sail, he asked me to pick him up a few more for gifts for other captains that he knows. They are inexpensive enough that they are easily replaced, and waterproof enough to survive most immersions.

AaronG

Enlightened
A headlamp is probably the most practical, but failing that then something with the lowest low possible. A Sunwayman V series light (V10R, V10A, or V20A) or Zebralight SC51w. The Quark series lights are popular and they have a moon mode but in a critical safety situation the Preflash could be a serious problem and I wouldn't risk it.

My Uncle sails at night and he said he uses a headlamp with a red LED more than anything because night vision is so important ( as well as the ability to use both hands). The lights that I've listed are all white light but they go down so low that they're pretty comparable.

If you are interested in a headlamp the zebralight H51Fw is a great option and the Zebralight H501w is also very popular. The H51Fw has more output and is a little more focused while the H501w is a very floody light for close work. They can be used as an angle fashlight but I personally would find it annoying as a handheld light.

Last edited:

astrojay

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I really liked the Brass Peak Logan, but I agree that a provision for a lanyard would be a good idea; I went to the website and couldn't find the Logan at all.
I gave him a headlamp last year, one with a very bright 1 watt center lamp, but also with lower intensity red and white leds as part of the surround. I have one also and find it very useful.
The idea of the tank 737 is a good one too, probably 2 or 3. My brother does have a habit of dropping things over the side. We don't give him sunglasses anymore; he's on his own for those.
I posted a similar response a few days ago, but I guess it didn't make it through the gauntlet. Just wanted to express my appreciation for your input!
Ah, just figured out why. Forgot to answer the random question. Duh.
This is the only forum I participate in that has one, so I must have overlooked it.

Last edited: